Twin Cities Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BKLYNCyclone, May 13, 2014.

1. BKLYNCyclone

BKLYNCyclone Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Male
    Architect
    Twin Cities, MN
    Looks like we'll likely be relocating from the NE side of the cities to the SW side since my wife has been working in St. Louis Park for the last year. She teaches near the intersection of Excelsior and 100. I work from NYC, home, or out of a coworking space in st paul, but lucky for me I can also work out of the alternate coworking space in Uptown.

We're scouring St. Louis Park (small houses/high prices) and Golden Valley, but also casually looking at Edina ($$$), Minnetonka, & Chanhassen. We have friends just off Lyndale in Minneapolis, but aren't quite willing to give up the idea of having a yard, especially for the price of those particular houses.

Any advice/insight on the area would be much appreciated. St. Louis Park would be ideal, but it's pretty hard to find a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house with 2 car garage (I do not want to scrape my car every morning...), at least in our price range.

2. kickout

kickout Member

Aug 30, 2013
    What is your price range if I may ask?

My brother just bought a short sale in the Cities. Bad time to be buying, it's definitely a seller's marker right now. Its crazy.

3. BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
    Male
    Architect
    Twin Cities, MN
    250-300

4. ianoconnor

ianoconnor Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Male
    Urbandale
    [​IMG]
    :wink:

5. QCCyclone

QCCyclone Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I had a few groups of college friends scattered throughout Minnetonka, Edina, and St. Louis Park. Minnetonka was my favorite, but my friends lived on the lake so that's probably an unfair comparison. Edina is obviously really nice but very expensive, and you'll have to deal with everyone on here calling you a cake eater :twitcy:. I don't know as much about St. Louis Park, but I've seen some really nice houses there along with some pretty average houses.

6. lakesbison

lakesbison Active Member

Jul 15, 2009
    #6 lakesbison, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
  7. cyclone13

cyclone13 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Eden Prairie, Minnetonka and Edina are expensive. Hopkins is a little bit cheaper and closer to St. Louis Park.
    Try Plymouth and Golden Valley too.

8. BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
    Male
    Architect
    Twin Cities, MN
    hahah... Amazingly, we've found 3 or 4 houses in Edina that are very good values and well within our budget. Must have been a drive by there or something.

9. mctallerton

mctallerton Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Every Day I Need Attention, going full cake I see...

10. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    grundy center
    How about southwest MPLS as a location? Stay away from robbinsdale and those first ring places to the north.

11. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Project Manager
    Minnesota
    I live in this neighborhood (for last 28 years), 4000 block of Poplar Drive. South of me can get real spendy but near to my house there is still a substantial location premium, much greater than when I bought in. Probably better value if you look beyond this specific neighborhood. The general area does have great access to 394 and 100 although Hwy 100 is sort of a jammed mess between Excelsior Blvd and 394.

Another great benefit of the general area is school options, everything from good public Hopkins district to private schools like Breck or Blake.