This could be huge. Northwestern trying to unionize

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
A player anonymously commented on it.

goB1Gcats comments on Northwestern Wildcats football players trying to join labor union

NU player here on a throwaway. This isn't about getting paid. What it is about is protection. Many of us will have numerous injuries throughout our playing careers. A group of those players will continue to feel the effects of those injuries long after their playing days are over. The goal is to have some sort of medical protection if we need surgeries stemming from injuries sustained while playing for our university. Another goal is graduate school for those who were fortunate enough to play as a true Freshman. Most student-athletes get redshirted in their first year, and receive one year of grad school payed for in their fifth year of eligibility. We feel as though it is fair to ask for the same investment from the university all around. It isn't about getting an extra $200 a month for spending. We have our stipend, and if we budget correctly we are able to make it stretch for the month. Would it be nice to have some part of jersey sales or memorabilia sales? Absolutely. But that is not the goal as of right now.

Just wanted to add in that I am extremely thankful for the opportunity I have been given to not only play football, but to attend a world class university such as Northwestern. It is an opportunity millions dream of having. We are treated well at Northwestern, but unfortunately that is not the case at many other schools. Hopefully we can create a voice for the players and clean up these issues.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
And so begins the demise of college sports... this will lead to a pay system... and that will kill what we all love about college athletics.

And don't tell me these kids aren't compensated today. Opportunity at free education, clothes, housing, food, per diem for expenses... all covered. Not to mention they're playing a game they love/want to play AND their time on the team will lead to numerous career opportunities in the area around their school or in the field of athletics elsewhere.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I like some of the guarantees .... but lets not kid ourselves... It will be about paying players.

I would think that in order for the union to operate it would need money collected from dues of its members. The members will only be able to pay dues if they are getting paid. While all the things they are talking about upfront are good and all it obviously would end in them wanting to get the players paid.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
So can high school players unionize then? Some of those players will suffer injuries for the rest of their lives and will have to deal with the consequences.

Reactions: Clonegrad07

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
Since when is getting your schooling, housing, tutoring, training and food paid for not enough for people.

I propose that if we are going to pay these athletes, that we charge them for school, charge them for room and board and make it truly fair.

These athletes are acting like they are required to play football for the school. No, it is your choice to play or not to play. No one has a gun to your head. They didn't change the game, you know what you are signing up for.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
The response by the NU player sounds reasonable in its concern for the health of the athletes that generate so much money for the university. Some players (especially football) end up with permanent injuries, some that will limit their work options. And there is some unfairness when the football and basketball players generate so much money for the school and NCAA as well as carry other programs like cross country that so few care about. But with the power and greed of the NCAA backed up by the NFL (who love their minor league system in the universities), I doubt this has much chance of going anywhere.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
The response by the NU player sounds reasonable in its concern for the health of the athletes that generate so much money for the university. Some players (especially football) end up with permanent injuries, some that will limit their work options. And there is some unfairness when the football and basketball players generate so much money for the school and NCAA as well as carry other programs like cross country that so few care about. But with the power and greed of the NCAA backed up by the NFL (who love their minor league system in the universities), I doubt this has much chance of going anywhere.

Yep, because people are twisting their arms to go play at Northwestern. If they were smart enough to get into northwestern, they could've probably gotten a decent amount of scholarship money for academics and not put their health at risk.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Yep, because people are twisting their arms to go play at Northwestern. If they were smart enough to get into northwestern, they could've probably gotten a decent amount of scholarship money for academics and not put their health at risk.

The Northwestern athlete that wrote the piece said they have it better than most, but not the case for a lot of other athletes (that aren't so gifted academically).

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Northwestern Football Players Are Trying To Unionize said:
If CAPA gains recognition, all DI football and men's basketball players at private universities will be eligible to join.

That's the line that got my attention - private universities. Not that the public schools would let it go without response, but could be a short-term advantage if it happened.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
The Northwestern athlete that wrote the piece said they have it better than most, but not the case for a lot of other athletes (that aren't so gifted academically).

So why can't people be happy that those kids who aren't as gifted academically are being given a chance to improve their lives by going to college. I would like to know if there is a statistic of the % of college football players who wouldn't have gone to college and gotten an education if it wasn't for the fact that it was free.

If the players for the team have a problem with their own decision to play a dangerous sport that could have life long implications, they should've thought about that before going to school to do so. And if they are now concerned about that fact (which I will say is a major fact, one that Schools do pay for their medical expenses if they get hurt from football while they are in school) then they can quit the sport at any time.

This all comes down to the argument of whether it is a right or a privilege to play college sports.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
So why can't people be happy that those kids who aren't as gifted academically are being given a chance to improve their lives by going to college. I would like to know if there is a statistic of the % of college football players who wouldn't have gone to college and gotten an education if it wasn't for the fact that it was free.

If the players for the team have a problem with their own decision to play a dangerous sport that could have life long implications, they should've thought about that before going to school to do so. And if they are now concerned about that fact (which I will say is a major fact, one that Schools do pay for their medical expenses if they get hurt from football while they are in school) then they can quit the sport at any time.

This all comes down to the argument of whether it is a right or a privilege to play college sports.

Why should they not be entitled for care on long term injuries incurred while playing football? Take someone like Eric LeGrand. His initial care was covered (partially) by the NCAA/Rutgers, but he's going to require lifelong care.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I would think that in order for the union to operate it would need money collected from dues of its members. The members will only be able to pay dues if they are getting paid. While all the things they are talking about upfront are good and all it obviously would end in them wanting to get the players paid.
Spot on. The union isn't doing this out of the goodness of its heart. It's doing it to get PAID and that's only going to happen if the players get PAID.