The state of College Football

Discussion in 'Football' started by Goothrey, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Goothrey

Goothrey Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    Austin, Tx
  2. CysRage

CysRage Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Very good read. People have been predicting this for a few years now. All ADs are getting way too money hungry. It really hit home when they talked about letting TV dictate what time you play. We have a bunch of 11 AMs on our horizon because we are letting ESPN/Fox pick our gametime. I know ISU is getting big money for this but most fans, myself included, hate 11 AM kickoffs. ISU has just about no say in game times (except to win more) but I just hope ISU doesn't fall into trap many schools got themselves into and that is ******* off the fans to make an extra buck on everything else.

3. FanatiClone

FanatiClone Active Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Counselor, Wellness Coach
    wherever i go, there i am
    That was a great read. Thanks for posting.

4. JHUNSY

JHUNSY Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Des Moines, IA
    #4 JHUNSY, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    This was a good read, but we are not Michigan. While fan attendance drops across the nation, ours is rising under what some would call lackluster performance. I think it really comes down to the target market, their age, and their behavior. If consumers lose passion for the product then it will see its way out. Sure, do TV timeouts annoy us at the games? Yeah, but we still sit through them here in Ames. Not to mention we will show up to tailgate at 6 in the damn morning if kickoff is at 11. We will still fill our stadium for a 1 win team 10 games throughout the season (and probably all the way if mother nature wasn't so harsh).

We are expanding our stadium and increasing ticket prices all while others across the nation have this going on. Perhaps Michigan fans are just getting older through the generational gap as an average as the baby boomers reach their late years. Call me crazy, but perhaps that same thing is happening across the state to the East. Maybe younger generations aren't diehard for the old names like they once thought they were, making it tough to maintain that level of support.

5. SCarolinaCy

SCarolinaCy Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    There are very few things I like more than college football. I particularly liked the college vs pro discussion. The more the college experience becomes the pro experience, the less I will like going to the games in person- triple digit ticket prices, game time changes, tv timeouts, blaring music, non stop advertising, in ad finem marketing promotions, putting a corporate $ sign on every conceivable piece of real estate, fundraising letters from university employees whose public salary is 3 times what I ever made.

6. Skidoosh

Skidoosh Active Member

May 27, 2012
    What I got from this: More Cowbell

7. dualthreat

dualthreat Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Michigan getting hit hard. Only a measly 97,000 show up for home games anymore.

8. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    Thanks for the share. Interesting to say the least.

9. theyork

theyork Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Artist in residence
    hedgesville, wv
    if im not mistaken, tv has already changed the rules of both college and pro football. a few years ago, they felt the need to speed up the games a bit. instead of reducing ad time, they initiated continuous clock, when it normally would have been stopped in certain instances.

any refs out there want to verify this. fairly certain i didn't just make that up.

10. theyork

theyork Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Artist in residence
    hedgesville, wv
    what i don't get is why they just don't charge more per commercial. instead of having 45minutes of commercial time for 3 million dollars, why not cut out the slotted "tv timeouts" reduce commercial time by 50% and still charge the same amount of money? advertisers would pay it. it is probably the most valued commercial time available on television. instead of cringing through 13 papa johns commercials, we would only have to choke down 5.

11. djkent01

djkent01 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Accountant
    Des Moines, IA
    I think JP should read this article before he schedules another home and home with dink U.

12. intrepid27

intrepid27 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Executive Recruiter - Ag
    Marion, IA
    I've always thought this but after reading that I'm glad we did not plan a bigger expansion.

13. Skidoosh

Skidoosh Active Member

May 27, 2012
    I honestly think we are at a critical stage in football. This bubble of money is eventually going to pop. At some point we just won't be able to keep throwing cash at the the football program, and what happens then will be very interesting.

14. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
  15. farminclone

farminclone Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    I thought some of the reason for the continuous clock was to compensate for the time spent on replays.

And yeah, that comes back to fitting a game in a TV time slot, but I think it was warranted.

16. QCCyclone

QCCyclone Member

Feb 10, 2013
    If this statement were true, I'm sure they would already be doing this. Papa Johns wants to saturate us with those 13 commericals.

17. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    yep. Advertisers want repetition. If you have one spot per game, you only get people who are watching at that time to see it. You run one spot every other commercial break, you're going to get more people to see it.

18. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    Their students are mad at first-come-first-serve student seating?

I didn't realize there was any other method.

19. ArgentCy

ArgentCy Active Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Male
    I guess I just don't understand the repetition. I never took a marketing class but 13 ads in a single game just annoys the heck out of me. I either get very good at subconsciously ignoring it or getting ****** off. If thats what advertisers think they want then I question their intelligence. It probably comes from one old study that got passed around in way too many classes.

20. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Repetition reinforces memory. Marketing/Ad people aren't dumb. They don't put together million dollar ad campaigns based on old studies or bad science. Ads play multiple times because that's exactly how they want them.