The effects of having Bubu back

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by nallen34, Jan 15, 2013.

1. nallen34

nallen34 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Grimes, IA
    #1 nallen34, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    Here are the reasons why having Bubu back is great news:

1. He can give us depth at PG this season. I know he hasn't practiced with the team since August. I'm sure that the coaches have been giving him individual workouts to do, so that if he is reinstated that he isn't completely out of shape. He will more than likely start practicing tomorrow. I think after a month or so of getting back in shape and learning the new plays, that he will work his way back into the rotation. I see him being back in the rotation around mid February with 8 Big 12 games left to play.

2. We can have a true experienced PG in the game when Lucious is on the bench. Right now Clyburn is playing right around 8 mpg at PG. Naz plays against good competition maybe once every 5 games for 2 minutes at a time. I would much rather have Bubu a third year player bringing the ball up the court over Clyburn(who has never played PG in his life), and Naz(a very inexperienced PG who hasn't shown he can play against high level competition).

With Bubu in the lineup here is what I think the minutes distribution will look like:

PG: Lucious-30 mpg, Bubu-10 mpg

SG: McGee-25 mpg, Babb-15 mpg

SF: Clyburn-25 mpg, Babb-15 mpg

PF: Ejim-25 mpg, Niang-10 mpg, Clyburn-5 mpg

C: Niang-15 mpg, Percy-15 mpg, Booker-10 mpg

3. HAVING BUBU BACK WILL HELP US NEXT SEASON, ESPECIALLY UNTIL DECEMBER 22nd. This is the biggest reason of why we needed Bubu back IMO. Maurice Jones will not be able to play until the first game of the Diamond Head Classic on December 22nd. I personally would rather have Bubu(a 5th year senior) playing the majority of minutes before December 22nd over Naz(a sophomore with very little experience against good competition), and Monte Morris(a true freshman with no experience at the most difficult position on the court to learn). I know a lot of you say "Monte is better than Bubu because he is a top 100 recruit." He might be. He also might play some big minutes for us next year. But I personally would rather have an experienced RS Sr (playing games against Iowa, Michigan, @ BYU, UNI at Wells Fargo Arena, and possibly an SEC team in the Big 12/SEC challenge) over a true freshman. That's just me though.

4. How Bubu being back effects/could have effected the scholarship situation:

a.) We would have had another open scholarship for the class of 2013. With this scholarship we could signed on a player that came here for grad school and could have played immediately for the 2013-14 season.

b.) We could have signed a late signing period high school/juco player for the class of 2013. Most players signed in the late period usually aren't great and are signed based off of potential. Very rarely do you sign a stud in the late period. More than likely we would have signed a PF/C since this player would have filled one of our class of 2014 scholarships as well.

c.) We could have signed a transfer who would have sat out the 2013-2014 season and been able to play for the 2014-15 season, which would have also filled one of our class of 2014 scholarships. More than likely we would have signed a PF or C since for the 2014-15 season we will only have Percy, Niang, and Edozie at the PF/C positions.

5. Will Bubu red shirt this season and try to get a waiver for a 6th year of eligibility? IMO I highly doubt it. First of all if he did this he would be playing the 2014-15 season. That would leave us with 5 PG's(Jones, Bubu, Naz, Morris, Custer) for the 2014-15 season, and would take away a class of 2014 scholarship. Bubu is supposed to be done playing after the 2013-14 season. Clay Custer is supposed to start playing the 2014-15 season. So in other words Custer is Bubu's replacement.

Here are the Rosters and Depth Charts(IMO) for this year and the next couple years after that:

2. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Rape (accused) redshirts only happen in Iowa City.

So if Monte is way better than Bubu (not an outlandish thought by any means) he should sit and defer to "experience"?

I'm glad Fred is the coach.

3. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    I personally don't think he helps this team who just found their chemistry. Hopefully i am wrong because this team is starting to look like a top 25 team.

4. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Moderator

Apr 11, 2006
    Sales
    A pineapple under the sea
    I think the added depth can only help. Fred is very good at using players according to situation and match up, so this gives him one more option.

5. letsCYber

letsCYber Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Plummer
    U.S. of A.

Just a quick reminder, this is a America. You're innocent until proven guilty.

6. Bigman38

Bigman38 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Council Bluffs, IA
    Obviously depending on how good of shape he is in, but this might be the perfect time for him to come back. We've got 3 games against the bottom of the big 12. If you're trying to work someone back into the team, doing it against TT and TCU is ideal.

7. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    Same thing was mistakenly said last year. Adding a sub that can give you solid minutes rather than having KL play 40 minutes or Clyburn out of position is not a threat to chemistry.

8. CLONECONES

CLONECONES Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Real Estate
    RVA
    this

9. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    I seriously hope Bubu doesn't start over Monte next year.

10. cmoore_23

cmoore_23 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    national guard
    Ankeny, IA
    I see him helping more with being able to rest Babb as an on ball defender.. I think that is going to be huge

11. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010

What??? You did see (accused) didn't you?

12. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    At least everyone can Boo him and he won't know if that's good or bad. I will be Booing cause he stinks at basketball.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Yes, what short memory people have. When he came back from his wrist injury last year, he played pretty well. Certainly against UConn he provided valuable minutes.

14. ISUFan22

ISUFan22 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    IT Project Manager
    Denver, CO
    PG depth is our weakest link. And we just got back a PG that can play well.

It is going to have an impact and IMO, the negative impact on chemisty is nonsense. Especially with a humble guy like Bubu.

Clearly some has forgotten about last season...

15. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    Something I thought of after looking at the depth chart is with all those PG's coming in, how are we going to keep all of them? If Monte and Clay are as good as everyone says, then they shouldn't redshirt, but if they wont get many minutes, then why not redshirt. Then, what about Long? How does he factor into all of this?

16. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    I don't think Bubu is a Big 12 scholarship level player, but I'd rather have him running the point in KL's absence than Clyburn.

I'm tempering expectations regarding this season as he hasn't practiced with this group in so long, and might not be in shape. There's going to be some rust, and it could be a stretch that he'd be ready to play much this year.

17. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    This is nonsense. We're 1-1 in conference play and have looked good doing so but let's not act like this is a well oiled machine.

Adding Bubu, who in all likelihood won't play significant minutes the remainder of the way is something that will throw off "amazing" chemistry

18. theyork

theyork Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Artist in residence
    hedgesville, wv
    completely disagree. he has seen action in the big 12 and has done quite well. he will immediately be one of our better defenders and he tends to be smart with the ball. someone in the other bubu thread posted his assist to t.o. ratio and it was quite good. he has kind of a workman like way about his game. not flashy, but gets the job done and is not a t.o. or defensive liability.

couldn't be more excited about having him back. if he messes up the chemistry of our current players initially, fred probably just won't play him. it is simple as that. if he comes in and adds to our current flow, he will play and the team will benefit.

19. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Only the best of fans boo their own team.

20. theyork

theyork Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Artist in residence
    hedgesville, wv
    everytime he steps on the court he will be asking himself-are they booing me or are they buing me?