Templeton Rye recipe is a fake

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JP4CY, Aug 29, 2014.

1. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    Yes, as we know already, its distilled in Indiana.

Article in the Register says its not even the "secret recipe."

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2014/08/28/templeton-rye-change-labels-clarifies-much-made-iowa/14770045/

"Though Templeton Rye is not distilled according to the Prohibition recipe, Bush and Underwood on Wednesday framed their whiskey as a tribute to and celebration of the town of Templeton and its legendary bootlegging past, not a product from it.

"The whiskey is not the most important thing," Underwood said. "The town of Templeton is the most important thing, and the state of Iowa. The whiskey almost is the afterthought. It helps. It brings this to life."

2. cycloneted

cycloneted Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Des Moines
    I bet a lot of people are going to jump off the bandwagon. The story is made up, the scarcity was made up, they don't do anything other than bottle a stock recipe.

I still like the stuff, but am not going to be paying more than 30 bucks for it, I'll stick with some Elijah Craig, now that's some good stuff.

3. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    I never really was a person who drank anything based on the story. I usually drink something because I like it and the value I get from it. I have purchased Templeton in the past, but usually for a novelty or a party. There have always been plenty of better whiskey out there for a better price.

I'm not saying Templeton is bad, mainly, I'm a bourbon drinker, so rye whiskey is usually an afterthought for me anyways.

I don't know, I don't always get the hate that's on this site for Templeton. You either like the taste, or you don't. The story shouldn't really matter, should it?

4. RubyClone

RubyClone Active Member

Mar 21, 2014
    #4 RubyClone, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    I get a kick out of how this is such an issue suddenly. It' been distilled in Indiana for the better part of two years now. Actually - more like it's been distributed from the Indiana distilling for nearly two years.

Regarding changing the label...
    "Why we didn't do it, I can't answer that," he said.

Seems simple. Had a good thing going, realized that much of it was due to the mystique of the story, history and locale - prices went up a bit, demand due to short supply skyrocketed and they tried to fill the gap and cash in.

5. only4cy

only4cy Active Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Loved their YouTube video showing the old lady carefully applying labels to a tray of bottles, as if production was about 12 bottles per day.

6. 19210

19210 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    If you've ever had the "real" stuff you would have known that. The real stuff will make Blum grow hair in places he can't grow hair. :eek:

7. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    Who thought it was? :skeptical:

8. dawgpound

dawgpound Member

Jun 18, 2011
    West Des Moines
    If you have ever known anyone from the Templeton area that can get you a taste of the "real stuff", you can tell a difference.

9. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area

Two years? It's never been made in Iowa.

10. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    The real stuff is excellent. I just came across some a couple of weeks ago.

11. RubyClone

RubyClone Active Member

Mar 21, 2014
    #11 RubyClone, Aug 29, 2014
    I believe it originally was/is.

Back when we couldn't find it anywhere (remember all the "there's 8 bottles at the Hy Vee on Grand" threads) - then all of a sudden every store across the state routinely had 20 cases.

But you're right - in either case it was much longer than 2 years when they started sourcing from Indiana. The artcile I just read from the Chicago Trib was from 2010.

I'm old - the years roll together.

12. Chitowncy

Chitowncy Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Ames
    How do you get your hands on the "real stuff?" Is that what they call the "small batch?"

I think many of us have known Templeton Rye distills in Indiana for years (I've known that since 2010 or so), but what I'd like to know is how can I get my hands on the original recipe? I'd like to try it. Thanks in advance.

13. Cybyassociation

Cybyassociation Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2008
    By knowing someone who knows someone. Its not legal.

14. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    What Cyby said. You have to know people. It's a don't ask, don't tell relationship.

15. longtimeclone

longtimeclone Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Up north
    Walk into the church and find the 3rd pew on the right, place a $50 in the hymnal on page 33, wait a week, then go to cemetery, and find the grave of Mae Josephine Coughlin. In one of the flower holders will be your quart jar.

16. Chitowncy

Chitowncy Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Ames
    I see.

The Duck Quacks at Midnight.

17. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    Totally thought you were going to go further with that.

18. moo-u

moo-u Member

Apr 12, 2006
    what else, farming
    sheldon
    #18 moo-u, Aug 29, 2014
    not (totally) :) sure if he was serious or not, but somewhere around here I have a pic of a headstone in the Ireton, IA cemetery where my great uncles used to hide the stuff.

I get a charge out of all the romanticism about the bootleggers etc. Especially when people brag about ancestors / neighbors etc being bootleggers and then go on and on about the "good ole days."

If they knew them, really knew them, they MAY not look back so fondly at people that ran with/for people like A.C. I used to kinda think it was cool to come from a family of former rum runners, but not quite so much anymore. Not so long ago I rubbed shoulders with a fella in an old folks home originally from the canton, SD/ Inwood Ia area. We enjoyed swapping stories about the old times that our respective families had passed down. He told me that he had met A.C's guys when his oldest brother tried to get away from a bootlegger gang. (Not a G rated story). There was a nurse in the hall that commented when I left, "ya you can't believe anything Pete says......" What she didn't know was that many many years back I'd heard vague "yarns" about the incident from MY family members but when I heard this fellas perspective of what happened to his brother and father, well, maybe Grandpa TN was right, that uncle Joe and his bros weren't really very nice folks at all.

yah I know (as you younsters like to say) cool story bro ? :)

guess I'll have to find that picture of the headstone with the secret compartment:)

el

• Like Like x 1
  19. ISUAlum2002

ISUAlum2002 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Urbandale
    http://www.kcci.com/news/templeton-rye-now-facing-classaction-lawsuit/28230996

20. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    Lawsuit couldn't happen to a "better" group.