Tailgate Generator

Discussion in 'Football' started by mustangcy, Jun 26, 2013.

1. mustangcy

mustangcy Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    Looking at getting a tailgate generator for this fall. I'm not really looking for it to do anything else than run a tv, stereo...maybe a hotplate if the old lady tags along. I've heard from guys on here that noise is an important issue. I'm not really looking to spend a lot if I can since I'm only really using this on fall Saturdays in Ames. I've linked below the generator I've got my eye on at Home Depot. Pretty darn cheap and it seems to have decet reviews.

I know some around here have some sweet generators but what's everyones thoughts on generators?

All Power 1,000-Watt 2 Stroke Gasoline Powered Portable Generator-APG3004A at The Home Depot

2. EJ4CY

EJ4CY Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Lenexa KS
    Dear god, if noise is an issue do not buy that. One word. Honda

3. mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    Really?? It's only 65 db which is pretty low noise. It's part of the reason I like it (other than price) I also read that any generator around 70 is good but to try and stay away from anything close to 80.

4. MrApathy

MrApathy Member

Aug 8, 2006
    poke badgers with spoons
    #4 MrApathy, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    Dont waste your money 1,000 watt is low and wont power what you want easily.
    I use a Honda 2,000 watt for 19" tv,hot plate sometimes a crockpott which can really suck the juice.
    yamaha makes some good generators too slightly more quiet than Honda's but not much.

The generator is nice to have in case the power goes out which I hope is not often but when it does from storm or whatever you will be glad you shelled out the dough for something nice. years ago we had a ice storm in cedar rapids area it knocked out power for 3 days and most businesses were closed and ones that were not, didnt take credit cards and atms were down. we had a cheap 1,000 watt generator it could barely power a small heater and cause it was a cheap pos it would decide to shutdown on its own every so often was a pain to pull start it back on too.

Honda and Yamaha are good quality products price may not be cheap but in some goods you more often than not get what you pay for.

5. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Get a honda or a yamaha.

6. justcynn

justcynn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Cabot, AR
    Get a marine battery and power inverter. Will run a tv and satellite box for several hours, no noise and less than $100. An old Coleman stove works great if you need a hot plate.

7. jj-cyclones

jj-cyclones Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Ames
  8. bringmagicback

bringmagicback Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Marketing
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    Why wouldnt you get a power inverter? Also any "generator noise" is to loud, maybe nobody has said anything but i assure you the neighbors are annoyed

9. yler4cy

yler4cy Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Engineer
    Ankeny, IA
    70 db is considered as normal speach at 3ft between people, so 65 isn't to loud, but 1,000 watts is not much at all. I bought a Champion from Sam's a while back and have loved it.

Here is an ad for one: champion generator

You can connect two of them together like the Honda's to get more watts.

10. candg4ever

candg4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Master of the Universe
    Nevada, IA
    Yeah, for tailgating, Honda is the best. Very quiet. some of the cheaper ones will work, but you're gonna bother your neighbors a lot.

11. fatkid1974

fatkid1974 Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    network technician
    van down by the river
    This. Inverters are the way to go. 100% chance of not ******* your neighbors off with noise. Plus a 4000 watt weigh about 2 pounds.

12. mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
    Bloomfield
    Ok, you got me interested. Do you or anybody have a specific set up that you could recommend me looking into? I'm not that familiar with marine batteries...can you just simply get a marine battery and any power inverter will hook right up to it?

13. acoustimac

acoustimac Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Associate Professor
    Lamoni, IA
    Marine batteries are slow discharge batteries. Our RV has them and doing something simple like running our furnace they last about 6 hours. The downside of going the battery route is when they are done...so are you.

14. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    If you buy anything beside Honda or Yamaha, you deserve the dirty looks you'll receive from those around you.

15. jj-cyclones

jj-cyclones Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2007
    Ames
    Should have been more clear. We actually plug our RV into the generator and use the outlets in the RV to run everything else. If the little amount of noise our generator produces annoys anyone, I'd be surprised. Our TV sits 10 feet from it and doesn't bother anyone trying to listen to the whatever they are watching.

16. ISUAlum05

ISUAlum05 Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Cedar Rapids, IA

This. We can't justify the cost of a good on, so we don't have one. Don't be that guy. And if you think your neighbors aren't bothered by your cheap *** generator, that you probably put away from you and near them, you are wrong.

17. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    We have that problem where we park. Kind of annoying but whatever. I just run a power inverter off my truck, cost was only 50 bucks and I can run my TV, 2 crockpots, Satelite dish and rope lights if needed. For most long tailgates I leave my honda truck idling, which is esentially dead quiet and barely burns any more gas than a generator. Plus I can run the music through my truck sound system.

That is my cheap solution to buying a generator.

18. isudvm

isudvm New Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Honda's are great but expensive. I bought the same one you did, and it worked great last year. Invest in television speakers for the tv, and get a cheaper generator. I have only used my for tailgating, so spending over 1k on a generator seemed stupid.

19. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I assume that's on the first page of any crappy generator manual?

Step 1: Get your longest extension cord, and place as far away from yourself as necessary. Bonus points if it's right beside your neighbors tent.

:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

20. ISUAlum05

ISUAlum05 Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Every freakin time! Oh, it's too loud to have next to you? By all means, put it next to me then! Aholes.