Stamped Concrete vs Patio Blocks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Boxerdaddy, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Boxerdaddy

Boxerdaddy Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Beaverdale, IA
    I'm looking at ripping the small wooden landing off the back of my house and just putting a patio there instead of the small deck. Does anyone have any experience with the new fangled stamped concrete? Is it more expensive than patio block? Any pros... cons... Thanks guys!

2. CycloneDaddy

CycloneDaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Johnston
    There is a recent thread on this with information ... To lazy to link.

3. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    Dont know anything about the stamped concrete, but blocks are extremely easy

4. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    grundy center
    i put blocks in my front yard because it's easier to remove and.or change if you want and you can add more easily if you want. stamped concrete is great for driveways that you aren't expanding

5. IAmNotTheMayor

Feb 6, 2013
    I would think the stamped concrete would be cheaper, since it's a faster process (i.e., less labor). I'm personally not a fan of it. They tend not to wear as nicely as stone or concrete pavers.

6. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    grundy center
    a huge factor is if the entire area is dyed or just the top of the pavement. we did a project at work and to save money just the top was dyed. then some chipped off and below was a different color and it looked terrible until it was fixed. If the entire area is dyed it wouldn't be as bad since if it chips you cant see the color differences. but still, blocks looks nicer IMO.

7. intrepid27

intrepid27 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Executive Recruiter - Ag
    Marion, IA
    Concrete will crack over time. Blocks will move and shift over time. Any questions?

Just kidding. I think concrete will be more expensive but will probably look nicer longer. On the flip side you can do some really cool designs with blocks. Just go through the upscale nurseries/ landscape places to look for ideas.

8. azepp

azepp Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Ankeny
    Stamped concrete is generally less expensive but the high end stuff can approach the price of pavers.

9. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    Actually it's the exact opposite. Pavers and or blocks are more expensive but will look nicer for much longer. My dad still has his patio he did with original Des Moines street pavers that were torn up and salvaged. He put this in about 35 years ago and it still looks beautiful today. Granted there is maintenance here and there with frost heave, etc. hi nothing more than a couple of hours a year, if even that.

in that time he's repaved the driveway twice.

10. cyflier

cyflier Active Member

Apr 14, 2006
    I am having a stamped patio poured in May. Stamped is definitely cheaper than pavers. Placing pavers takes a lot more prep work. I prefer the looked of the stamped concrete, but thats my opinion. This would will be my 2nd stamped patio. We loved our first. If you seal it every year it should look new every year. You definitely want the color mixed into the concrete and not just stained. I've seen prices from $12 sq ft to $16 or so. The company we went with was $15 sq ft. They are also building a sitting wall and fire pit right into the patio.

11. 1100011CS

1100011CS Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Marshalltown
    Are you in central IA? If so, can you tell us the company? I'm looking at doing stamped concrete for my back patio as well.

12. cyflier

cyflier Active Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Im in Ankeny. I just sent you a PM.

13. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I always wonder how snow removal would be with pavers? Obviously more of a "driveway" issue

14. TXCyclones

TXCyclones Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    TX
    I've had both a really prefer the stamped/colored concrete. The blocks have a tendency to settle unevenly sometimes, and the paver sand gets tracked inside as well as allows weeds to grow between. The stamped concrete has been great, but we do put a sealant over it appx every 2nd or 3rd year which brings out the color and texture.

15. Clonefan32

Clonefan32 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I put in a small patio right off our deck last week. It's probably about 8 feet x 6 feet with a firepit in the middle. The whole thing only cost about $250 and a day's work.

16. RotatingColumn

RotatingColumn Active Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Graphic Designer
    Sioux City
    A patio of pavers has cracks in it as soon as you're done building it. Pour some concrete.

17. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    I'd do stamped concrete. Pavers will shift and move. Or just do concrete and stain it/seal it.

18. somecyguy

somecyguy Member

Jun 20, 2006
    My parents house in Ames had their driveway redone with pavers. About 120 feet long. It's been 15 years or so and it still looks fine. The only issue is killing the few weeds that have worked their way in between. No shifting or heaving.