Rhoads was Big 12's lowest paid coach last season

Discussion in 'Football' started by ChrisMWilliams, May 16, 2014.

1. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    In related news, Kansas football is dumb and Baylor is getting a hell of a deal on Briles.

2. azepp

azepp Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Ankeny
    12th overall but 5th in $ per win.

3. Bigman38

Bigman38 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Male
    Council Bluffs, IA
    I'd be skeptical of both numbers from Baylor. They don't have to report salaries like the other schools do.

4. 88clone

88clone Member

Feb 3, 2014
    None
    West Des Moines
    I think he needs to get paid. I love what he's done hear and I don't want to loose him. I'm afraid we're a breakout year away from loosing him to a bigger name school. No, we didn't win much last year, but he has enthusiasm at an all-time high and attendance was amazing, considering our W/L last year. A bump in salary will show recruits that we're committed to winning here and committed to CPR!

5. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    Yeah . . . that Baylor assistants number doesn't jive with me. :laugh:

6. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Insurance
    Urbandale, IA
    He will get more money with more wins. Pollard will make sure of that.

7. cycloneML

cycloneML Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Kansas
    maybe he's out of gas.

8. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 21, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    How many other coaches are guaranteed $20 mil? Pollard's stance has been length of contract over $$$/year (which I like).

9. laminak

laminak Active Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Marion
    I don't. I expect Rhoads to be out the door after the 2015-2016 season if ISU doesn't show progress that season.

10. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but you're under arrest for abusing the English language. I couldn't let this one go. :policeman:

11. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    First, how can a head coach truly be worth more than his entire staff? I know he has unique value, but not that much. Second, how can a coach look players in the eye when he is making that kind of money and they are getting a scholarship + expenses?

I don't blame a coach for getting whatever he can. And I'm all for an open market. And I know that lots of coaches give lots back to the team and community. However, it is just silly for them to be paid this much. And the momentum just never seems to stop.

I think most coaches are driven more by the desire to win. Escalating salaries may make it harder to win because you have to produce immediate results rather than building for long-term success.

Perhaps having a salary cap for coaches would help raise salaries for staff (and let them stay in one place rather than moving every few years) and keep the head coach salaries from continuing to escalate.

A coach would probably be hated by his peers if he said "enough is enough" and it is hard to imagine a coach saying it. However, we have two down-to-earth coaches here who might be the ones to help slow down the craziness.

12. brokenloginagain

brokenloginagain Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2006
    if there's a 2016 part to the 2015 season, he isn't getting fired.

13. Cycsk

Cycsk Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Here is the worst one of all.

The Hawkeyes' NCAA bid vaults McCaffery into a $300,000 pay raise for the 2014-15 season. According to details of a contract extension finalized in July 2012, McCaffery had two levels of payment depending on his team's NCAA status. Once the Hawkeyes qualified for the NCAA, McCaffery moved up to a higher level.
    McCaffery received $1.5 million in base salary and outside income this year. Next year, he's slated to make $1.8 million. Had Iowa missed the NCAA field, he would have made $1.6 million in 2014-15.
    McCaffery also picks up a $25,000 bonus for the NCAA bid.

http://thegazette.com/2014/03/16/iowa-ncaa-notes-mccaffery-raise-tv-teams/

$300,000 for not really even making the tournament. How does he look his players in the eyes?

14. 88clone

88clone Member

Feb 3, 2014
    None
    West Des Moines

Woops! Guess I type too fast! I'll watch myself next time!

15. TXCyclones

TXCyclones Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    TX
    Pretty simple. Want more money, Paul? Win more games. And as far as other schools luring him away... it won't happen with the coaching record he has so far.

16. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    If he has a breakout year he'll make more. Just like Hoiberg. But the fact is he's making money in line with the wins he is getting, plus he has pretty damn good job security given his contract goes out to like... 2021, so if by some chance we make a change in direction he'll be well compensated for that.

17. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

I take pride in being part of an intelligent fan base. And I'm a jerk.

18. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    Pay him after he wins, not before.

19. LesGoCY

LesGoCY Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Art Briles' WIKI page shows his salary is $4.2MM which seems high. Either way, I'd be up for a swap with Baylor. Briles has engineered a true transformation. Why couldn't ISU find a Briles type. Jermey Pruitt, Chad Morris, Bob Diaco prior to putting such a lengthy contract...now stuck with it...for sure don't consider a raise until he produces Briles' type production.