Regular Friday: OT Music New Release Friday

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A couple that are coming up in the next few weeks that interest me.
March 11
Brian Fallon (Gaslight Anthem) - painkiller
March 18
The Falcon
Iggy Pop
Soul Asylum
March 25
Joy Formidable

I've been waiting for the Brian Fallon solo effort. I hope he leaves the emo/punk sound behind and just focuses on the songwriting.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I've been waiting for the Brian Fallon solo effort. I hope he leaves the emo/punk sound behind and just focuses on the songwriting.
Could not disagree more, I love emo/punk..... I do like when punk artists take a songwriter approach though, ala Chuck Ragan, Mike Ness.....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Started listening to the Lucius LP Good Grief....
I had the pleasure of seeing this band at last years Hinterland, they take such a unique approach to their performance, scaled down with percussion and vox as times. I became a fan instantly. I listen to their last album Wildewomen a lot after that show, very catchy songs throughout.... This new album far exceed that release.... I see this Indie pop group taking off after this release so jump on the bandwagon now, as a side note, they are playing at Wooly's (5/17) if u missed Hinterland last year.

Hightlight: Going Insane

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
On to Brian Fallon.....
Painkiller is a good but not great album, there are very strong highlights to this album, I loved Steve McQueen when that single came out at the beginning of the year. Smoke, Open All Night, and Honey Magnolia are all highlights for me, the problem is the rest of the album just sounds like Gaslight Anthem filler songs. Maybe B-side songs that did not make past albums. Is worth a listen but too me is not far enough of a re-invention attempt by the artist....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Just started listening to The Falcon - Gather Up The Chaps....
This bad I have always found to be one of the better punk rock side projects around. Brings in pieces of Lawrence Arms(Brennan and Neil) and Alkaline Trio(Dan) and now they have add Dave Hause (The Loved Ones).... Any Ska/punk fan from the 90's would know that the relationship was started back with the band Slapstick. This album seems like a great combo lead collaboration, as Dan, Brennan, and Dave all have lead vocal songs, the listen from front to back puts you on a bit of roller coaster with the change in fact. But I like it a lot!!! Recommend for any Gruff Punk fans.

Hightlight for me is 'If Dave Did It'.....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Another ex-Grunge Rock/Early Alt-Rock Band returns Soul Asylum....
Change of Fortune is worth a listen if you were a fan of Let Your Dim Light Shine or Grave Dancers Union, good mix of good ole' Alt-Rock.... To me it is not worth more then one listen and there may be tracks that stick out but as a whole album, not worth too many spins....
Highlight for me is first track - Supersonic....

Funny story that always come to mind with this band, a buddy of mine told me about seeing them back in the early 90's before they got terribly big, most memorable for him because the lead singers dread's kept smacking everyone in the face in the front row, with how he dances around....

Last edited:

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Missed this last Friday.

The new Iggy Pop album with Josh Homme is really, really good. The David Bowie influence is inescapable.

I also really liked Damien Jurado's new album. I've been following his stuff for the last couple of years and it does not disappoint.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Diving into Ray LaMontague - Ourobros
I think this concept based album is a a lot better then Supernova his last release, but this is concept album.... Has a bit of Pink Floyd-esque feel to it, but pretty great so far.....
I think these tracks will perform really well, look forward to seeing him at Hinterland.... Wondering if MMJ will be on tour as his backing band as well....

Not sure if serious.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Diving into Ray LaMontague - Ourobros
I think this concept based album is a a lot better then Supernova his last release, but this is concept album.... Has a bit of Pink Floyd-esque feel to it, but pretty great so far.....
I think these tracks will perform really well, look forward to seeing him at Hinterland.... Wondering if MMJ will be on tour as his backing band as well....

Not sure if serious.

https://www.relix.com/blogs/detail/ray_lamontagne_fronts_my_morning_jacket_on_colbert

Ray LaMontagne appeared on
Late Show with Stephen Colbert last night to support his forthcoming record Ouroboros, out today. If you were looking closely, you may have noticed that LaMontagne was joined by all of My Morning Jacket minus Jim James. This will be the case for LaMontagne's tour this year as Carl Broemel, Tom Blankenship, Patrick Hallahan and Bo Koster will serve as his backing band.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Missed this last Friday.

The new Iggy Pop album with Josh Homme is really, really good. The David Bowie influence is inescapable.

I also really liked Damien Jurado's new album. I've been following his stuff for the last couple of years and it does not disappoint.
I have not been a huge listener to Iggy in the past but I did give the new one a listen after your post here, reminds we a lot of Bowie newer stuff, it is amazing how you can hear the influence of these 2 on bands like The National, went back and list to Trouble Will Find Me. To me this is defintily a Top 10 for me this decade.... Will check Damien Jurado today....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Holy Cow, I am soo pumped for April 16th.....
Sturgill Simpson release his second single from his new album... Cover of Nirvana 'In Bloom'. So good, I can't stop listening....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
First listen today Bob Mould - Patch the Sky.....
This was a real great album. It amazes me how artist like Bob can reinvent themselves over time and still stay relevant. It really is inspiring, at 55 and being a founding member of one of the most influential Midwest hardcore punk bands in the 80's (Husker Du). Great indie release and solo album, I know he has been recording solo for over 3 decades now, but this was the first release I have listen to first track to last and I am sure I will go back to other releases now too....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Today was a sneaky good day for music....
The Thermals - We Disappear, this album was super great, the past releases had a little appeal to me but not great ones, accept for their really early ones on Sub Pop.... Hightlight of the day so far!!!!
Night Moves - Saw this bad at 8035 2 years ago, this new album is super good as well only 9 tracks which was a little bit of let down... But they have bit of Indie pop 70's soft rock feel, worth a front to back listen for sure...
Parker Millsap - The Very Last Day. Have listened to his past releases but they did not have the flare of this one. Great Blues, and mix with a little slide guitar. I think he would be great addition to Hinterland in future lineups.... Title track is the highlight for me.....

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
First listen today Bob Mould - Patch the Sky.....
This was a real great album. It amazes me how artist like Bob can reinvent themselves over time and still stay relevant. It really is inspiring, at 55 and being a founding member of one of the most influential Midwest hardcore punk bands in the 80's (Husker Du). Great indie release and solo album, I know he has been recording solo for over 3 decades now, but this was the first release I have listen to first track to last and I am sure I will go back to other releases now too....

If you have time you might give this a listen. A fair bit of it is self indulgent crap, but he and Ryan Adams do a couple tracks off the new album and there's some interesting stuff in there about how the songwriting and recording process works for them.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsong...music-and-talk-about-everything-under-the-sun

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Margo Price's Midwest Farmer's Daughter came out this past Friday. Good record. The vinyl shows up today. Pumped to give it a spin.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
New Releases I have on the Agenda for tomorrow.....
The Heavy
Weezer
Yeasayers
Andrew Bird
Bleached

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Started out with 'W'....
Weezer has been impressing me more with the last 2 albums.. Everything will be alright in the end was a great album that I think was a lot closer to Blue album and Pinkerton than the more recent releases.....
The White Album is hand in hand with that as well.... It is an album I can listen front to back continually without really noticing is started over. I know leading up to today's release 5 of the 10 tracks were already released but listening to album a whole adds more of complete stamp to it.... Enjoy, I did.....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron