RECRUITING: Hallice Cooke visiting this weekend

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by ChrisMWilliams, Apr 28, 2014.

1. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Having less spots to fill is a good thing. It's easier for Fred to swing for the fences with only two spots open next year (realistically it could be 3 if someone transfers).

Our strategy is recruit HS players that can make an instant impact, and fill in with transfers who are already proven.

It's a great strategy actually.

2. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    That story from CW just makes this all seem a lil fishy. I know there are backdoor deals done all the time, you just never hear about them.

3. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Calm down, these guys are on another level and will be tough gets. Diallo is a top ten recruit, who can go anywhere. Ellenson is also a top level big man, with a recent Duke offer among others. Ahmad and dad seem infatuated with big ten schools, plans visits to Michigan and MSU without an offer, and is waiting for OSu to offer. I love Niang, Morris, Thomas, Custer, they look to be great gets, but none were as highly recruited as Diallo, Ellenson, and we'll see if Ahmad moves up in rankings with this AAU season.

4. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Expand please.

5. mattyice

mattyice Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    But never ever ever OUR team right?

6. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    You are clueless.

7. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Member

Nov 6, 2009
    good grief, have a nice day

8. ribsnwhiskey

ribsnwhiskey Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Ames
    Good grief.

9. mattyice

mattyice Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011

Im not agreeing or disagreeing.....but how is he wrong in his post?

Are those guys NOT elite players and highly touted recruits that will be difficult to get given the competition?

10. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    Which is what I was getting at. At a certain level I think fans, myself included, get caught up in winning recruiting, even though it may not mean a better shot of winning basketball games. Imo being hung-up on the staff not getting enough elite prep guys is a sign of that. Why does it matter if the staff has found a pond with big fish that less people fish at? I think some here would be more excited for an unknown high school guy that we beat Duke for, the next Matt Jones, than getting a good transfer from Duke that had proven to be a good college player.

11. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    They have struggled to get their high school targets. However as we have seen it doesn't really matter.

12. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica

I think the "no hurrry" thing is just something you say to sound like you're keeping all options open and thinking things through, even though Cooke sounds like he's thought things through already.

13. CycloneWarrior

CycloneWarrior Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2008
    student
    Urbandale,Ia
    #93 CycloneWarrior, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    He has a point. Niang, Thomas, morris and even custer for this argument may have been four stars, but they had no where near the level of offers that guys like Diallo, ellenson, rashad vaughn and other big time guys we've missed out on.

Niang: isu, bama, charlotte, delaware, fau, george mason, hofstra, iowa, umass, miami, northeastern, providence, sienna, texas a&m

Thomas:isu, boston college, colorado state, creighton, wisc-greenbay, marquette, minn, nebraska, uni, northwestern, virginia, wisconsin

morris: isu, Arizona state, cincinnati, georgia tech, princeton, providence, rhode island, usc, western michigan

custer: isu, houston, kstate, oklahoma, okie state, san francisco, south carolina, tulsa

red were tournament teams this year and yes Iowa counts...

We hardly beat out the kansas' and duke's of the world to get these four guys. Of course there are exceptions to these guys, i.e. Woodbury to UNC. The best offers were matt thomas' to wisconsin and virginia. Morris didn't even have an offer from michigan or michigan state (yes, I remember michigan pulled their offer once walton committed).

They are awesome players and are very good, but guys like Vaughn and Diallo are on different levels. It's a little bit different if you beat out Duke, Kansas or Kentucky rather than the high majority that we did for these guys. Fortunately, we recruit transfers like nobody's business, so this high school recruiting garbage doesn't even matter. Lolololol Free agency snitches!!!!!

14. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    I agree. Kids want to keep their options open in case they don't like their visit, or teammates, etc. I don't read too much into these type of comments. Many kids, transfers or otherwise, say they are going to take all their visits, and then 2 days later commit.

15. swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    And none are local. Are you surprised a kid in Ohio will be tough to get over Big 10 schools or is waiting for an OSU offer? These guys are low odds for any school, let alone one from Iowa with less success than the local schools and without the glamour of the non-local bluebloods.

16. swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    What?

17. 4theCYcle

4theCYcle Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Altoona, IA
    So you're telling me you are going to pass on a kid who has proven himself as a freshman at the collegiate level (8 ppg/46% 3P%), has NBA potential and people talking with 3 years eligibility over unproven Seniors in HS? We aren't even leading, that we know of, on any of these kids. Don't get me wrong, Fred needs to land a high impact Mcd AA sometime, but he's proving the transfer route is working very effectively versus spending 1-4 years on kids who, lets be honest, aren't always making the best decisions in life at that age. There was a lot of time spent on Vaughn and look how that turned out. How much time/money was allocated towards BDJ?

Fred and company got on Cooke early for a reason. You passing means you don't trust Fred. Blasphemy.

18. AdamJGray

AdamJGray Administrator
    Staff Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Male
    Let's keep it civil fellas.

19. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I agree 100% with you, that is the struggle we still face.

20. swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    Good thing the goal is not winning at high school recruiting. Until it is, I think the staff is doing near an optimal job. Priority number 1 imo is getting the elite transfers. They likely will have bigger impacts than OAD guys. If we finish out with Cooke and Anderson, this offseason will have been a step towards that. Even if we could get 5-stars, I would still want to get the same amount of transfers as we do now.