Recommend Best Microwave Popcorn

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MeanDean, Jul 7, 2014.

1. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    We've decided we really like the Winn-Dixie store brand of popcorn, but of course there are no Winn-Dixie stores in the region.

The qualities that I like in a microwave popcorn are:

1. Big fluffy kernels; I don't care about hulls.
    2. The butterier the better; yeah, I know I can melt more butter and pour it on, but something about the way the kernels all get coated during cooking is best.
    3. Few unpopped kernels.
    4. Consistency of performance; I don't like some bags that take 2 minutes and some that burn after 1:45. Also, broken bags are a negative I've had with certain brands.

Any locally available product you CFers have as your go to brand and type?

TIA

2. Daserop

Daserop Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2011
    The Bebop
    My wife and I like the "Simply Salted" from Orville Redenbacher.

3. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I like the tender white from Orville Redenbacher. Not much butter, but plenty of taste.

4. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area
    Not the advice you're looking for, but I haven't had microwave popcorn in like 10 years. I use a pan at home, and we have a popper at work. I'll take the taste of homemade over the convenience of microwave anyday.

5. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009

samesies. We got an Orville popper thing for my bridal shower. I use that thing all the time. Works great and takes just about as long as the microwave.

6. snowcraig2.0

snowcraig2.0 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Engineer
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Air popper right here. Prefer non-irradiated corn.

7. WhatMeWorry

WhatMeWorry Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Urbandale
    Kirkland, cheap and the best.

8. urb1

urb1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Urbandale
    We had this Saturday, and I don't think I'll ever eat microwave again. I can't believe I ever started eating microwave popcorn.

9. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    IT
    Ankeny
    This is by far my favorite microwave popcorn, Pop Secret Homestyle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055S03M2 When I worked in an office I got my coworkers hooked on it as well. My wife likes the Simply ones from Orville as mentioned above.

10. CtownCyclone

CtownCyclone Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Project Engineer
    Houston
    We just put some popcorn kernels in a bag and nuke that. Salt and butter to taste.

11. tm3308

tm3308 Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Sportswriter@ Daily Iowan
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    #12 tm3308, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    I actually rotate. I'll say up front that (easily) my biggest vice in my diet is microwave popcorn (it's honestly a little disturbing, but I'm not stopping). But Pop Secret Extra Butter is probably the best I've had; I also like a couple different movie theater butter brands, but those always wear out their welcome more quickly simply because that's a **** ton of butter. Pop Secret is definitely the most consistent brand I've had in terms of getting the full bag with few unpopped kernels and avoiding burning.

Although a good way to avoid burning is to just pay attention to the amount of popping. I've had to use several different microwaves that have varying wattages, so I just set it for 2:30 and then listen. When the pops get more than 2-3 seconds apart, I pull the bag out and enjoy.

My parents also have a stovetop popper I use when I'm home that's really good. Use some Orville's butter oil to pop the corn with instead of just vegetable oil and it turns out delicious every time.

12. dahliaclone

dahliaclone Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Tender White is the only answer

13. MaccloNe

MaccloNe Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    IT
    Fareway movie is good enough and real cheap.

14. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    I actually like semi-burnt popcorn

15. cowboycurtis

cowboycurtis Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Blast-o-butter!

16. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Des Moines
    We actually gave up on microwave popcorn after the numerous articles kept coming out about the health hazards. I dont' know if those warnings are overblown or not, but now that we've switched to air popper, we realize we much prefer the taste.

Anyway, health concerns might be able to be avoided:

If there is any danger at all associated with microwave popcorn, it is most present when the bag is first opened and heated fumes escape. Breathing in these fumes will expose the consumer to the highest level of diacetyl possible at the consumer level. This may cause damage to the smallest air passages in the consumer's lungs or trigger a pre-existing asthma attack. Young children and those with compromised lung capacity may also have an adverse reaction after breathing in the first fumes of a hot bag of microwave popcorn.

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-microwave-popcorn-bad-for-you.htm

17. StClone

StClone Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Air-pop Redenbacher yellow, sprinkle with olive oil then butter flavored salt, may be my favorite.

18. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

HyVee brand ain't too bad actually. I definitely want one of these someday though:

[​IMG]

19. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    I bought some coconut oil and popcorn salt and just make it in an old stir crazy popper. I haven't been able to eat microwave popcorn since.