Proposed CIML Split

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Incyte, Jun 26, 2014.

1. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    #121 CyFan61, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    You can't force a school district to build a new high school. Why in the world would you think that anybody has the power to do that?

Class 5A would split school districts into different classes, but my example would have 5A with four 6-team districts and 4A with six 6-team districts, meaning that all of those schools would have four slots on their schedule every year for non-district games like SC North vs. East and West, W'loo West vs. East, and the DSM area schools could rotate playing one another based on who they actually wanted to play. If DSM East knows they aren't competitive and would rather schedule Indianola than Ankeny, then they would have the ability to do so. Solves both problems at once.

2. jbindm

jbindm Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Des Moines
    It happens, though. I had several classmates that were swallowed up at Iowa and Iowa State. It's a big leap to make if you're coming from a class of less than a hundred.

3. Clonefan32

Clonefan32 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I completely agree with all of this, but I'm not sure it answers the question. If the argument is "Valley has 900 kids to pick from and Indianola only has 400", wouldn't that same logic apply to basketball? Out of a group of 900, wouldn't there be a greater chance of have 5 kids that excel at basketball? I understand you don't need the same numbers in basketball as football, but the argument is relative. With that many more kids, surely they will be able to field X amount of players that are better than ours.

4. BringBackJohnny

Feb 12, 2009
    Student
    Ames
    IMO here is what is happening in the schools you are mentioning. They have had football success. They are huge and their is a lot of competition for PT on the football team. A kid can't focus on basketball because all efforts need to be spent to get or maintain the position on the football team(weights, drills, 7 on 7, camps, etc.). This eliminates the selection pool for the basketball squad. Basketball is a sport that requires less of the weights and that junk. So in other schools you can have more multi sport kids ready to bolster your hoops team. My guess is you will see a collation in large schools with football success and a lack of basketball success.

5. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    I guess. My class was 28, and was the largest in 15 years. My whole hometown could have easily fit in Maple, where I lived my first semester.

I guess I shouldn't say it doesn't happen, but a lot of times, it is grade (or beer) related. :twitcy:

6. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    There have been plenty of kids that came from large school high schools that drop out of large universities as well. College is a big adjustment no matter where you come from

7. FarminCy

FarminCy Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Panhandler
    Right Over There
    Completely agree. It's more motivation and time management issues than size of the school. There were 9500 students where I went to college. I knew people from small towns and huge schools in the twin cities that used the "too big" excuse for a not very big school. They had one thing in common, none of them went to class ever.

But I will agree that there are kids out there that just can't be away from their home towns even if it is only a 4-5 year stint in college. I think that is a combination of fear of change and trying to hang on to a status they had in high school which means nothing at college.

8. Althetuna

Althetuna Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Application Engineer
    Central IA
    It blows me away that Des Moines Lincoln and East can't compete with Southeast Polk? When I went to Southeast Polk, our varsity football team had 19 people. We weren't in the CIML yet. We played:

DM East
    Indianola
    Urbandale
    Ankeny
    Newton
    Mason City
    South Tama

Who remembers the name of that confernece and who all was in it. Damn I'm old. Can't remember anything.

9. jbindm

jbindm Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Des Moines
    SE Polk's athletic department salary total for 2012-13 - $557,000
    Lincoln and East's athletic department salary total (COMBINED) - $612,000

When one school is nearly outpacing two others combined, you have a spending gap that is going to lend itself to creating a conference of haves and have nots. That's not the only reason why they can't compete anymore, but it's a huge contributing factor.

10. Three4Cy

Three4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Learning & Performance
    West Des Moines
    What's your point? The school board isn't going to force a second high school on a community that doesn't want it, and the state can't force them to split up. Throw into the mix the WDM school system is in a financial bind and cutting about 3 million dollars from their budget over the next couple of years and there is no way they are going to consider an second high school.

http://www.kcci.com/news/district-considers-closing-school-amid-cuts/24896314#!bcsjrW

Splitting up Valley isn't going to solve anything for the 8 schools that want to break off from the CIML.

11. Three4Cy

Three4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Learning & Performance
    West Des Moines
    Was it the CIC - Central Iowa Conference? Isn't that where SEP was prior to the CIML?

12. cloneswereall

cloneswereall Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    My point is that Valley parents were idiotic 16 years ago, if the same vote was brought up today I wouldn't be surprised if they would pass a second HS, and a school that large in Iowa is absurd.

13. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Hater.

14. WooClone15

WooClone15 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Student
    The Land of the Deutschen
    Was East a part of that? Down at Central in the gym, they have the crests of the high schools in an old league and it's the 5 dm schools, dm tech, Valley, and dowling. Plus East would have probably been a lot larger then any of those schools

15. bigdaddykane

bigdaddykane Active Member

Mar 3, 2014
    It doesn't really matter cuz dowling beats them in everything. And how is dowling allowed to recruit players to go there.

16. TigerCyJM

TigerCyJM Active Member

May 4, 2012
    Polk County, IA
    I go to Valley and agree that it is too big. We should either give some territory to Urbandale, because there are kids that go to Valley who live closer to Urbandale HS, or take the kids who go to Waukee but live closer to Valley, put them in the WDM district and build a second high school. The western/southwestern high school would be dominant, though. I can honestly say that I do not know of one athlete that has or will contribute at the varsity level that lives east of 22nd street, which is like 1/3 of the district.

17. TigerCyJM

TigerCyJM Active Member

May 4, 2012
    Polk County, IA
    Dowling doesn't beat valley in everything, people just assume that because they won state in football and girls basketball. I have no clue how they can recruit, but the fact that they deny it is laughable. I have friends who have been approached by coaches at athletic events, offering scholarships, free lunch, etc.
    Dowling would be terrible if they didn't recruit, and they know it too.

18. tm3308

tm3308 Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Sportswriter@ Daily Iowan
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    The whole recruiting thing is a tired-*** angle in high school sports, especially with open enrollment. And I say this as a public school alum who absolutely hated private schools when I was in high school.

19. ISU42

ISU42 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Do kids that transfer to a private school have to sit out like the kids that open enroll? Serious question.

20. cloneswereall

cloneswereall Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    I'd assume so, since that's an IHSAA rule, and private schools are still subject to those rules. However, when I think about the people that transferred into my HS (private), none of the transfer kids really played sports, or they just went from public middle schools into our HS.