Problems using desktop based MS Outlook email

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SCarolinaCy, Aug 1, 2014.

1. SCarolinaCy

SCarolinaCy Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Greenville, SC
  2. jbhtexas

jbhtexas Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Arlington, TX
    I don't use either of those, but I do use Thunderbird (which is listed in that article) on Ubuntu Linux. Thunderbird works fine, but it was a bit of a hassle getting all my Outlook PST files imported into Thunderbird. That was a few years ago, so perhaps the procedure has improved by now.

3. FarminCy

FarminCy Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Panhandler
    Right Over There
    If you are still wanting a desktop solution I have used Thunerbird and really liked it. Currently using Office365 and using OWA, haven't had any issues with it but not sure that addresses your problems.

However most of my email correspondence is on IOS mail app (dabbling with OWA app) and Gmail app on Iphone or Ipad. So my experience with desktop solutions is getting less and less each year.

4. SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
    West Des Moines
    I HATE Windows Live. We tried using Windows Live since it came on a couple employee PCs at our business, but I quickly switched those employees to Thunderbird.

5. no2cyclones

no2cyclones Mariner Moose
    Staff Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Male
    Physical Therapist
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Grad school transitioned to Windows Live mail this past academic year, right in the middle of the year. I hated it. Went from a familiar Outlook UI to the very white, very blank Windows Live UI. That being said, I'm sure it works fine. I just normally check e-mail on my phone.

6. SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    OK. thanks. does it support "pop" accounts? does it have a calendar to save things? Can I import my stuff from Outlook?

7. SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
    West Des Moines
  8. SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    thanks for the heads up on Thunderbird and Lightning. Even a hack novice like me had it all up in an hour.