***OFFICIAL BIG 12 EXPANSION THREAD 2.0***

Discussion in 'Big XII Conference' started by Boxerdaddy, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    IT
    Ankeny
    For those of us that pretend to work and can't keep up. What is GOR?

2. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    Grant of Rights

3. cyclonehokiece

Nov 6, 2010
    Blacksburg, VA
    Basically, your TV money belong to the conference regardless of it you actually in the conference. And if you are not in the conference, you don't get a dime. Do I have that right? Trying to tell someone at the ACC school I attend why it is superior to a large buyout.

4. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    Correct. Conference owns your TV value regardless of conference affiliation.

5. JWIL4CY

JWIL4CY Active Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Insurance
    Urbandale
    That is true for the 1st and 2nd tier rights. Everyone keeps their own 3rd tier. So like if Texas left they would keep the money from their Longhorn Network.

6. cyclonehokiece

Nov 6, 2010
    Blacksburg, VA
    Right, just trying to get through baby steps right now. The VT message board is funny, lots of doom and gloom. Glad to see ISU will probably not be in that boat this time.

7. dunar

dunar Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Software Engineer
    Altoona, IA
    Link?

8. colbycheese

colbycheese Well-Known Member

Anybody know when the ACC $50 million buy-out goes into effect for Pitt? Pitt's not as flashy as FSU, but adding L'ville and Pitt seems like it would help flesh out the Big 12's eastward expansion, bring somewhat driveable games for us ISU fans, bring back the backyard brawl, and pick up some nice TV real estate. Plus Pitt, as a university, is a much better get, academically, than FSU.

That said, I'd still rather get FSU if the option is available just for recruitment purposes.

9. ISUCY23

ISUCY23 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Ames
    That sounds awful, just awful.

10. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    IT
    Ankeny
    Cool, thanks guys. I knew it had to do with tv money being forfeited, I just couldn't come up with the acronym. Thanks again!

11. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    That just sounds like someone who was 100% convinced that the 4 16-team superconferences were going to be the Big 10, ACC, SEC, and Pac 16, brining about the imminent destruction of the Big 12, and was about as far wrong in throwing **** at the wall as one could get. The Big 12 not only is surviving, but is thriving. The Pac 12 has no shot at getting to 16 unless it invites MWC teams or jumps the shark even worse than adding Texas and Oklahoma would have. And the ACC, the conference that once and for all was to prove itself superior to the Big East in every single way, is now only going to do so because it is going to have to become what the Big East was just to survive Confrageddon at all.

Essentially, this guy that Bevo is featuring is so butthurt he's now resorting to throwing his own diarrhea at the wall just because he likes the color brown.

12. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    My turn with the carving knife:

Suppose the Big 12 were of the mindset to throw a life line to the ACC and offer to bring 6 teams over as a block to allow them to maintain some cultural connectivity to one another. Which six ACC teams would be taken if they could have any of those left? In order from greatest football value to the least...

FSU
    VT
    Clemson
    GT
    UNC
    NCSU

This would leave Wake, Duke, UVA, Miami, Syracuse, BC, and Pitt to merge with Louisville, UConn, Temple, Cincy, and South Florida as the remnants of those two leagues. While a clear step down, it seems like a group that belongs together football-wise. Add in Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence, Marquette, and St. Johns in basketball and you have a significant product to sell to TV.

13. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    [​IMG]

This is the chart of value of ACC football schools showing their relative number of fans according to NY Times blogger Nate Silver. Interesting that the top 6 still available by fan base would not include Florida State....

14. IceCyIce

IceCyIce Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Safety Man
    Grimes
    Wow clemson and florida state surprise me.

15. CyFan61

CyFan61 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2010
    At first I thought that the Florida State number must be wrong, but then I realized it came from Nate Silver...

16. The big flaw in Silver's methodology (using Google search volume as a proxy for the number of football fans in a media market) is that it assumes fans of each football team have equal access to a computer and the internet. If you've ever been to the Florida panhandle, you'd know this was not the case...some of those yokels wouldn't know what a computer was if you dropped it on the hood of their El Camino. Hence why it looks as if FSU has relatively few fans.

Semi-:jimlad:

17. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    There were a lot of other questionable things about those numbers the last time they came up too.

18. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Georgia Tech is the real shocker IMO. No chance they are that high, and certainly not double the fanbase of FSU.

19. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
  20. UNIGuy4Cy

UNIGuy4Cy Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Accountant
    Bondurant