Off-Topic Thursday!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cowgirl836, Apr 17, 2014.

1. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Hopefully for many of you, it's your Friday! I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a four day weekend and I'm so ready for it! It looks like we may even get over 60 the next few days :jiggy:

Since Angie and 2015 won't have their questions up til tomorrow, I'll do my public service and help provide myself and others something to distract us from all the things we should probably get done today.

So since I'm in full-on home-buying mode, tell us how you knew that your home was "the one". What about it just felt right? If you don't have a home, tell us how you knew that ISU was the college for you!

If neither apply, you don't get to play. Or you can say your favorite Easter candy, but if the answer is "peeps", you are a terrible person. :jimlad:

2. isuska

isuska Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Ankeny, IA
  3. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    When I walked into my condo and saw the panoramic view of the ocean, both the realtor and my friend who was with me said my face lit up like a Christmas tree.

I like those chocolate covered malted milk eggs. However, I cannot ever find them anymore. Just the malted milk middles with only the candy shell - they're no good without the chocolate.

4. JWIL4CY

JWIL4CY Active Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Insurance
    Urbandale
    I built my home. That way we could get exactly what we wanted.

5. ISUME

ISUME Active Member

Mar 14, 2012
    I believe you are looking for Robins Eggs. Also, I wouldn't mind a pic of the view.

6. Cybirdy

Cybirdy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Home--we aren't in a forever home yet, so every house so far was what worked for the time we bought. Our first home met most of our criteria. We had a beautiful yard and a play set came with the house. Too bad we moved when our oldest was 9mo. Right now I love our backyard, we back to a field so have open space plus get to see corn or beans all summer and watch planting/harvest. We also added a nice patio/pergola/landscaping. We have outgrown the house but no plans to move right now.

I only applied to Iowa State. No other choice in my mind.

The Easter Bunny is only bringing chocolate to our house. Every year we do jelly beans and no one eats them. So chocolate eggs, Robin's eggs, Ghirardelli chocolate, Reece's eggs and Kit Kats this year.

7. Bigman38

Bigman38 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Council Bluffs, IA
    I thought the people who said you'd know your home when you found it were full of it. But when we walked into our house it was pretty obvious that it was the best mix of our wants, needs, and budget. Years later I can still say that initial impression was pretty spot on.

8. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    I didn't even see my upstairs and I knew I wanted my house. Saw the main floor, then back yard, walked into an awesome garage and told my wife "I'll take it."

9. CRcyclone6

CRcyclone6 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids
    We found our home by accident. We had some open houses mapped out, but they didn't start until 2pm or so. Stopped at Dairy Queen and saw a "for sale by owner" sign for a house a few blocks away. We checked it out and it was everything we wanted. Had a big garage, nice backyard, and a spot so I could put up a basketball hoop. Been here since 2005. The only thing I don't like and will always remember is that the day we moved was Chase Daniel's coming out party.:mad:

10. pourcyne

pourcyne Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Howdy, Cowgirl. It's Maundy Thursday, can't trust that day. Maundy Thursday, sometimes it just turns out that way...

Home is where you hang your hat, but so few people wear hats these days (sorry Pharell, that Smokey-Bear thang will NOT catch on), I guess that means we are all homeless.

Best Easter Candy...oh yeah, those malted milk ball eggs. Took a couple of those once to our old high school biology teacher and asked him to say what bird they came from.

:pcool:

11. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    No need for the jimlad. If peeps are your favorite you really are a terrible person.

12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    When I walked in a saw how open and light it was, I was pretty sure I wanted the house.

I think I decided ISU was the college for me only when they said I could go for free. I wasn't too keen on it prior to that. :smile:

13. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I flipped a coin and ended up at ISU. Plus I would have flunked out of Iowa, because I knew too many people there.

14. isufan

isufan Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    SW Iowa
    I dont own a home but there was never a doubt that ISU was where I was going. Would have been disowned from the family if I had went somewhere else.

15. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    Just buy a house already cowgirl. Or, come live in the Babe Portal with your three besties

16. SNEDDS3

SNEDDS3 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Being "The Man!"
    Bellevue, IA
  17. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    IT
    IA
    So, I may have a slight case of OCD. Even though we had a pretty good feeling for what was "the one," I designed a spreadsheet that had a weighted metric for different parts of the house - numbers of bedrooms and bathrooms, for example, were weighed pretty high, since that's hard to change. The kitchen got a medium weight, since you can change it, but it's cost-prohibitive.

My husband at first thought I was a freak, but we actually really used it while we were house-hunting.

18. MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    #18 MoreCowbell, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    We are definitely not in our Forever home, but where we currently live isn't too bad. It's got a nice big yard for the kids and room for a garden and the living space inside is set up nicely for being built in 1959. Our options for Forever home are either buy part of a homestead from the land my husband rents and build (our preference) or move to the farm where I grew up and my parents still currently live. As far as farm operations go, that would make more sense, but the home (while it's perfectly nice and was a great place to grow up) isn't the style my husband and I prefer. And I don't want my parents to move. Ever.

Like everyone in my family, I only applied to Iowa State. For me, there was no need to apply elsewhere, even though my HS guidance counselor wanted me to try places like Michigan, Northwestern, Notre Dame, etc... I took one look at the applications and was like "nope, too much work."

As far as I'm concerned, Cadbury Mini Eggs are the only Easter candy. I do like Peeps, though, because sugar on sugar on sugar. Who needs cavity-free teeth? If I absolutely need jelly beans, I can buy them on clearance after Easter. Besides, the kids usually get more than they can eat from the ILs.

19. cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
    our realtor brought that up the first day we met but we were like "that is crazy". We have a meeting Monday with a builder, just to "talk". I'm just convinced it will be waaaaaaaay more to build what we want than to buy.

20. cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
    I may or may not have a similar spreadsheet. Our realtor may have also banned me from bringing my notebook with me through the last few houses so I would stop focusing on the analytics.