Nik Stauskus

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by IST8CIVILENGR, Mar 30, 2014.

1. IST8CIVILENGR

IST8CIVILENGR Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Civil Engineer
    Pittsburg, KS
    Man I really wish Fred could have gotten him to commit here, with the talent that he already has and Fred's tutelage he could have been a extra special player. Not that he isn't already, just think of the mismatches that Fred could have taken advantage of! Anyone know if we were close to getting him? His rivals pages shows we were on his final 5, just curious.

2. Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    It was us or Michigan. Yeah, he would have helped.

3. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    Yep. IIRC, the initial CF reaction to offering him was similar to offering Georges. Also, Cleanthony Early is another what-if recruit.

Of course, what if Georges was not hurt?

4. IST8CIVILENGR

IST8CIVILENGR Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Civil Engineer
    Pittsburg, KS
    kid was a 4star recruit natural to respond like that I guess. Although he may not have been when we offered

5. kentkel

kentkel Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Male
    Teacher
    Grinnell
    Sure would have softened the blow of Niang being hurt - and this is in no way a knock on Naz. Naz was clutch this year, but Stauskus has a better all-around game. His drive and dunk against us in November was one of the more impressive moves by an opposing player this year.

6. JP4CY

JP4CY Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Sommerset
    I wouldn't have changed this lineup at all (well, maybe if we could have gotten a big man to come in for Georges when he needed a breather). This team had outstanding chemistry, without an unfortunate injury, I think a possible Final 4 team.
    Sometimes when you dream of addition, its actually subtraction.

7. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    If Stauskas had come here Niang would never have been in the game at that point. We would have been a 1 seed and been up 35 by halftime.

8. bawbie

bawbie Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Hard to say Stauskas would have done more under Fred, given how much he's improved in his 2 years at Mich.

9. Tre4ISU

Dec 31, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    IMO, his choices were the top two offensive minds in the game. He really couldn't go wrong.

10. Tre4ISU

Dec 31, 2008
    Ninja
    Estherville
    I would guess Naz probably wouldn't have been here if Stauskas came here. He or SDW. I don't remember the timeline but I thought Naz was last.

11. Final42b

Final42b Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Ames
    We cut down a lot of nets with him.

12. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    Agree.

Last year as well while watching these games, I felt we were so close. Just one recruit like Stauskas or Early decides to come here and we were elite imo. Now, I wonder more about whether we were already there. Georges (or Babb) does not get hurt, and we make the FF. Frustrating to look back on the last three NCAA tournaments the bad luck we had.

13. MNclone

MNclone Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Production Engineer
    Burnsville, MN
    Iowa State is there, putting championship quality teams on the court. Every now and again there is a dominant team that just runs through the tourney. (UK 2012) Otherwise it comes down to getting a few bounces here and a hot hand there. This years team had what it takes to win it all. It just wasn't in the cards.