New NCAA Rules are a Joke

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by arganbright2, Nov 9, 2013.

1. arganbright2

arganbright2 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    #1 arganbright2, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    NCAA implemented a new "hand checking" rule on the perimeter that will be called more often. Hopefully they don't call it this close all season or games could get ridiculous. I watched these two games tonight and it was painful to watch

Oklahoma State-Mississippi Valley State game: 61 fouls called, 79 free throws shot

Kansas-Louisiana Monroe game: 58 fouls called, 72 free throws shot

2. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    I hope they do call it this way all season. We aren't a physical team and it will help us more than it will hurt us. We aren't going to mug teams (see: West Virginia, Kansas State) and we aren't going to be outmuscled as easily going to the bucket. Someone like Niang on the perimeter should be able to get his guy in foul trouble away from the bucket quick. Big guys want to use their body to defend and Niang will be impossible to defend without them using their hands.

The garbage they've called "defense" in recent years in college basketball has been a joke. Hand and hip check all you want isn't defense.

3. psychlone99

psychlone99 Well-Known Member

The new rules will lead to some ugly games, especially early in the season. But, long term, they will assist ISU given the style of bball we play, and will ultimately reward true basketball skill. That is dribbling, passing, shooting, and defending with your legs and body position. I think this move will be widely appreciated over time.

4. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    I knew this thread would eventually come along, but I didnt realize it would come the very first night of the season.

And my prediction for this rule is almost everybody here will hate it towards the end of the year. Dont ask me why, but I think it will happen.

5. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Its not the rules that are a joke. Its that teams need to adapt to the new rules.

6. megamanxzero35

megamanxzero35 Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2011
    This year will suck as teams adjust. But this will lead to a better game as time progresses. What was called defense the past 10 years isn't and wasn't defense.

7. baller1

baller1 Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ames
    Didn't notice the fouls as much as I was expecting during the Georgetown-Oregon game. They were obviously there though based on the 74 foul shots. Will be annoying until teams accept that they can't mug each other to play defense. At least Hilton will be nice and rowdy when we get called for our 10th team foul against Michigan 10 minutes in.

8. allfourcy

allfourcy Active Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Yeah, during the exhibition game I kept going "really?" when those quick whistles for touching were called. I can't imagine how hard it will be for the players and coaches to get used to it. If it helps the game, then so be it. But for now, I agree with Eustachy in the fact that I don't want to see all the stars sitting on the bench in foul trouble in the first 10 minutes. Everyone says they'll all adjust. But, I can't really decide whether the new rules will help or hinder our particular team. We better have some good zone defense ready!

9. FDWxMan

FDWxMan Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Des Moines
    It's not the rules that are a joke, it's the officiating over the last 15 years that has been a joke.

The rule change is needed to correct the ridiculous officiating drift that has occurred.

10. FDWxMan

FDWxMan Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Des Moines
    Frankly, anyone who complains about the new rules can no longer complain about how "boring" and "impossible to watch" Wisconsin is.

Or West Virginia, K-State, Michigan State.

11. ZJohnson

ZJohnson Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Professional Club Builder
    Snottsdale, AZ
    This rule was implemented in the NBA years ago...it was only a matter of time. The refs are told to call it tight for the first weeks of the season to get teams acclimated. They will back off slightly once conf season hits. Honestly, its the way the game should be played imo.

12. Rural

Rural Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    I personally feel the game should be physical, it's important that it not be too physical.

It would go a long way towards achieving a game like that if some of the basic rules were enforced.

"Drop step", "crossover", "three step lay-ups", are all garbage of rather recent vintage when people got the idea it made for an exciting game.

That's why, when good rosters go up against one another, you often get a bloodbath.

Find good officials, call the basics, and you'll get the game you'd like to see.

13. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2006
    My thoughts exactly. And from what I understand, these are not "new" rules either. They've always been in place, but never enforced.

When I played high school basketball we always did the "towel drill", where the guys on defense had to play while holding a towel behind their back with both hands. That completely took away the use of your hands on defense. It forced you to play defense with your feet. You had to move your feet big time and beat your guy to the spot to cut him off.

Obviously your hands are important on defense, for picking off passes, rebounding, blocking shots, etc, but our coach used this drill to keep us from playing lazy defense where we were always getting beat off the dribble and reaching with our hands to make up for it. It worked.

I think it will be good for the game. Keep your hands off the offensive player. Play defense with your feet.

14. Cydkar

Cydkar Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    I disagree. 2 months from now, maybe later, 90% will be in love with the new rules.

15. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
  16. ronandkay

ronandkay Member

Jul 26, 2014
    This is NOT a "new rule". Its a POE or Point Of Emphasis. It has always been the rule.

17. iowa_wildcat

iowa_wildcat Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Ames
    I did not realize that Frank Martin was still coaching at Kansas State. I thought he left for South Carolina.