My new TV is ruining watching TV for me

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The_Architect, Oct 28, 2013.

1. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    Both my wife and I are really bothered by how nice our new LED tv is. It's really hard to explain but the picture quality is almost making it hard to watch shows now. I have several hi-def TV's in the house but this one is making the "background" of shows so detailed I swear I'm watching a show from a camcorder.

Does that make sense? It literally looks like I'm just watching people videotaping each other right in front of me. I guess with my other hi-def TV's they just aren't detailed enough to have ever noticed this before.

I know this is really random and "first world problem" comments are applicable but does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Even The Walking Dead was kind of painful to watch last night but on the flip side, the NFL games were incredible.

2. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Network and Server Admini
    So you probably have a 120, 240 or higher hz? Sounds like you miss the blur effect of lower hz tvs.

3. isuska

isuska Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Ankeny, IA
    I have experienced this same thing at my In-Laws. really creeps me out

4. boone7247

boone7247 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Near the City
    I am no expert but play with your settings, you can get that familiar blur back!

5. cyclonespiker33

cyclonespiker33 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Male
    I'll do you a solid and take it off your hands for you.

6. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Boardwalk Empire is fantastic with that effect.

7. CloneIce

CloneIce Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I know exactly what you mean.... its harder to watch when a picture is too good. It makes it apparent you are watching actors on a set rather than something that is really happening, which is distracting.

8. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
  9. urb1

urb1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Urbandale
    It's called the soap opera effect. We had the same problem. Believe it or not, you will get used to it. My wife and I had a helluva time watching hi-def shows when we bought our TV last fall, but now, I don't want to watch anything but hi-def.

10. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    This is like the guy complaining about how his speakers were too nice for his 62 inch television.

11. kberyldial

kberyldial Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    There is a setting that is something like "Automotion." Change it and it will help. You get used to it, that feeling like you can reach into the screen. But it is definitely different.

12. bringmagicback

bringmagicback Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Marketing
    CF Resident Dog Lover
    I notice the same thing, drives me nuts, its like its to real life.

13. JUKEBOX

JUKEBOX Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I agree. I think he is bothered by the unnatural upscaling of 24 fps content to 120/240 fps content.

He should turn off the automatic upscaling option that should only be used for sports or video games.

14. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    I'm glad I'm not crazy. Never heard of the soap opera effect before - thanks.

15. ISUCyclones2015

ISUCyclones2015 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2010
    #FirstWorldProblems

But I know what you mean too. But what pisses me off the most is those freaking Samsung SmartTV commercials. Back home we got a fancy one and whenever a commercial for the TV comes on and starts off with "Hi TV. Play sci-fi" my TV ******* does that. There was one commercial where it showed how you turned it off with your voice and it turned my tv off every ******* time.

16. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
  17. NorthCyd

NorthCyd Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    This article pretty much nails it with the reference of the high frame rate version of the Hobbit. I watched that version in the theaters and it was a glaring difference. I bought a nice shiny new LED tv a few weeks ago, and the soap opera effect is pretty evident. But I had read up enough to know to epect it. I adapted to it pretty quickly and don't even notice it anymore. I even kind of prefer it.

The biggest diffeence for me was how much signal quality matters with an increase in screen size. I went from a 42" 720p plasma to 58" 1080p LED, and flipped on a football game first thing. I was pretty underwhelmed by the picture. It was HD, but apparently the broadast still wasn't high quality. Then I brought up a 1080p movie on VUDU and was blown away by the picture quality. As screen sizes get bigger lower quality braodcasts really start to look bad. Standard def is practically unwatchable on this thing.

18. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    My parents have an old console tv in their basement that worked last I knew that we might be able to work a deal on. PM me for details.

19. ruxCYtable

ruxCYtable Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Male
    Get into Cnets forums and get the proper calibration settings for your TV. It will still look awesome but will last longer and probably help with what you are experiencing.

20. Cyclones01

Cyclones01 Well-Known Member

May 23, 2008
    Male
    Urbandale
    You can definitely turn that off. It isn't the refresh rate, its the extra "mode" that they put on the TV. "TruMotion" or "Auto Motion Plus" or something equivalent that causes the soap opera effect. Just turn that off and you'll be a lot happier with the picture.

Also, FWIW, you can usually google the model number of your TV and find the optimal display calibration settings somewhere online (avsforum is usually where I've found them). Every time I've ever used those, they've always recommended turning that mode off.