More press for Niang

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by CloneFan03, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Judoka

Judoka Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Timbuktu
    Calling something from Bleacher Report "press" is a bit of a stretch.

Seriously. Bleacher Report is terrible and no one should drive traffic there way under any circumstances. No clicks means no ad revenue means they eventually shrivel up and die.

2. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cyclonesince78

Cyclonesince78 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2012
    I'm just happy I haven't seen a thread from answers.com in a while. I can live with Bleacher Report. (Although they are terrible.)

4. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Bleacher report gets a bad rap. Some of it's justified, because certainly some of their reporting is bad. But, there are plenty of good journalists working there, producing good stuff. A lot of their NCAA basketball coverage is very good, for example.

5. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    So basically, Janny, you are saying Bleacher Report is a box of chocolates...

6. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Brooklyn Park, MN
  7. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    Bleacher report loves Hoiball lately so it's clearly improved as a source of sports info and opinion.

8. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    I'd say that it's been improving consistently ever since they replace SI as CNN's sports source. There's been a focus on improving quality, and they've been reasonably successful.

9. cyclones12321

cyclones12321 Active Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Us Cellular
    Newton Ia
    Actually I really liked this article

10. CloneZone13

CloneZone13 Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Yeah, what's not great about this article. I think it's spot on. My favorite part was the 'Seriously contending with Kansas and Texas'.

11. roundball

roundball Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Iowa City area
    Reporting? Journalism? I'm sorry, but you can't have a very good understanding of either of those concepts if you think they're embodied by Bleacher Report.

Even if Bleacher Report hired the top sportswriter from every newspaper in the country, they'll never be considered legitimate journalism because of two fundamental flaws: fan-sourced content, and no editorial point of view. Any Tom, ****, or Harry with a pulse can write commentary (not reporting) on something sports-related and get it published by Bleacher Report. Even if there's an occasional nugget of good stuff, readers have to wade through mounds of **** to get it, which flies against the whole point of journalism (identifying and distilling what's important).

On top of that, the "articles" Bleacher Report puts out frequently contradict each other...a quick google search reveals that Bleacher Report writers think that Brett Favre, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning are all the "best quarterbacks ever"...well, which is it? Their answer is "whatever will get some moron to click on the link", which is the same BS tactic used by other content mills like BuzzFeed, Cracked, Viral Nova, and so on.

Unfortunately, it's also a successful business model (idiots like clicking through listicles, I guess), and it's probably here to stay. But until Bleacher Report knocks it off, they're still just a click-bait content farm that happens to employ a few decent writers (probably for the sole purpose of being able to say "see, we are legitimate journalism!").

12. Psiclone

Psiclone Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Defense Attorney
    Corvallis, OR
    That's no longer true about Bleacher Report, though it was a year ago. They have actually written some very nice and knowledgeable articles about ISU recently.

But, perhaps you can point to something in the Niang article with which you disagree?

13. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Product Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Only if said listicle topics include boob pics, in which case, yes, I do enjoy clicking through them.