More About Student Football Attendance

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by Go2Guy, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Article from today's WSJ regarding student attendance issues. Most notable declines: KU, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Purdue. Increases: KState, UCLA

I thought this graphic / link was interesting: Student Attendance

"The growing number of empty seats in student sections across the U.S. is a sign of soaring ticket prices, more lopsided games and fewer matchups against longtime rivals, and the proliferation of televised games that make it easier than ever for students to keep tailgating long after kickoff."

attendance.jpg

WSJ Link

2. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Male
    Ankeny
    Soaring prices yes, but most of those teams on the decline suck donkey nuts too. So team performance has a lot to do with it.

3. Students would rather stay in the lots and smoke weed than go to the Colorado game. I tailgated there once, didn't make it to the game. Super Duper Fun.

4. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    I would agree to some extent, but wouldn't base it on just my short summary list. Ohio St, Va Tech, Mich St have seen some small year-over-year declines. Florida, although have had struggles in only the past couple years, is most surprising and has been address in previous major media reports.

5. iowa_wildcat

iowa_wildcat Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Male
    Retired
    Ames
    Why would anyone want to include KU football in an otherwise great weekend?

6. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    2008 wasn't that long ago since the Orange Bowl. But they've experienced over a 50% decline in student tix sales.

7. Clone1138

Clone1138 Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Central Iowa
    I went to the Iowa/Wisconsin game at Kinnick last season and was surprised that their student section was maybe 60% full.

8. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Project Manager
    Minnesota
    I thought student attendance was totally dependent on signal strength and cell tower coverage. :smile: