Lost Letterman is a fan of the whirly bird...

Discussion in 'Football' started by Bret44, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Tornado man

Tornado man Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Ames, IA
    I agree with all of those, especially Iowa State, Arizona State, Pitt, and Maryland.

2. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Insurance
    Urbandale, IA
    BYU's barely changed and I think they are actually better now.

:nah:

If you think a hawk and a cardinal are the same thing I can't take what you are trying to say seriously Lost Letterman...not to mention mixing up the birds of two instate rivals...

The problem with ISU's jerseys were A) the blue (SOOO glad the blue is gone) and B) our logo wasn't branding or recognizable enough. College sports/ESPN watchers recognize "I-State" better now but the twirly bird could've been a couple different schools to a casual fan.

FSU and Miami's old ones were definitely better.

3. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
  4. jkclone

jkclone Active Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    How is the I State more recognizable than the Cyclone bird combo. That doesn't really make any sense.

I can understand someone saying it is easier to recognize on a helmet or something, but the wirily bird one is much more recognizable as Iowa State.

5. Erik4Cy

Erik4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Insurance
    Urbandale, IA
    #6 Erik4Cy, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    Isn't being more easily recognized on a helmet being more recognizable?

ISU is more recognizable today obvs. Fred Hoiberg and games in FB like the OSU upset win that was all over ESPN - that has a lot to do with it along with the TV deals (Pretty much all of our games are televised now and the I-State logo is on the bottom ticker watched by sports fans all throughout the college season now.

When you see "I-State" you COULD think Illinois State, Indiana State, Idaho State as well, but most college fans are going to know that Iowa State is the only major school/BCS school of the bunch and is on TV much more (don't know the last time I've seen any of those others on TV.

When you see the just a helmet with a Whirly Bird on it, it doesn't narrow down what school it is AT ALL. It is just too busy. Most people could get Iowa State from the "I-State" logo compared to a picture of a whirly bird that honestly could be ANY school. Seeing a whirlybird picture doesn't tell anyone who you are.

If you asked someone on the street to identify the two logos below, which do you think they would be more likely to identify as "Louisiana State University?"
    apg_1227566937.gif
    LSU_Tigers2.jpg

I'm not against the whirly bird logo, but I just don't think it works on a helmet or midcourt of Hilton. People know I-State when they see it now is all I'm saying.

6. andybernard

andybernard Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2009
    My choices
    FSU - old
    Miami - old
    Pitt - toss-up...maybe incorporate throwbacks a couple times
    ASU - new
    Syracuse - new
    ISU - new
    OSU - new
    Arizona - old
    New Mexico - new
    BYU - new
    Maryland - old
    SDSU - new

So I guess I don't really agree with much of the article.

7. jdoggivjc

jdoggivjc Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2006
    Sterling Heights, MI
    I honestly preferred the combination of the late 2000s where I-State was the primary and the whirlybird was the secondary. The beer-belly Cy they use now is just an abomination. And while I prefer the whirlybird, I would have much rather gone back to the stomping Cy from the 1980s than what we're using now.

8. whirlybirds

whirlybirds Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Knoxville, IA
  9. jkclone

jkclone Active Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Male
    Student & Iowa State Fan
    Urbandale
    Just because one is more recognizable today doesn't mean it identifies the school better. The LSU one is more recognizable because that one is used more. Besides LSU isn't a good example because there are so many tigers. With something unique like Cyclones a cyclone as the logo creates more brand recognition.

People knew the whirlybird logo just as much as the I State logo. At least they would have given the same surrounding situations.

10. cychhosis

cychhosis Well-Known Member

May 12, 2006
    Teacher
    S.E. Iowa
    Florida State, Miami, Arizona & Maryland need to go back... The rest are better or about the same.

11. andybernard

andybernard Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2009
    You clearly just copied my list.

12. cychhosis

cychhosis Well-Known Member

May 12, 2006
    Teacher
    S.E. Iowa
    It was an independent study based on scientific research: however since our conclusions demonstrate the same results, it must be accepted in the academic community.

13. I liked you better when you were DistrictCyclone :jimlad:

14. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    When the guy calls an ISU logo a combination of a HAWK and anything else he's truly destined to be WRONG.

The end.

If he were going for the Criner 1980's Tornado/Iowa State logo I'd at least be able to understand it.

[​IMG]

15. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Loved the old ASU and SDSU helmets.

Plus...URLACHER LOBO!

16. everyyard

everyyard Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Taz Cy is sooooo terrible I cannot believe a) we ever used it, and b) people actually like it.

17. theyork

theyork Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Artist in residence
    hedgesville, wv
    this is the best logo ever. too bad we sucked so bad during its tenure. perhaps we would still have the dopest logo in the big 12

18. isufbcurt

isufbcurt Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Male
    CPA
    Newton
    this letterman is a fan of the whirlybird, so much so that I have it tattoo'd on my shoulder

19. Prone2Clone

Prone2Clone Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2006
    Except for that femmy-*** font.