Look what old Roy has to put up with at NORTH CAROLINA

Discussion in 'General College Sports' started by majorcyfan, Mar 27, 2014.

1. majorcyfan

majorcyfan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Retired Sales Mgr
  2. mramseyISU

mramseyISU Active Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Male
    Operator Station Engineer
    Waterloo, IA
    I took a class like that one before I transfered in to ISU. It was called techniques of coaching baseball. It was taught by the girls basketball coach, we did meet twice a week but the only thing he ever talked about was picking up girls. At the end of the semester we hadn't had any homework or tests just a final paper. The grading was if we filled half a sheet of paper with words it was a D, one side was a C, a side and a half was a B and if you really exerted yourself and filled up two sides of a notebook page you got an A. I head a couple years later he got fired, not for the sham of a class he was teach but for sexual harassment.

3. Cyclonesince78

Cyclonesince78 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2012
  4. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    ***** been spewing out of that **** hole the last few months, starting with them bringing students in that didn't even know how to read at a 5th grade level.

Sad thing is, NCAA won't even look into it.

However, from an academic standpoint, why would the ACC want them?

Oh yeah, because their academic advisors get the test beforehand and tell the students the answers.

5. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    That Rosa Parks paper was excerpts taken straight from the Rosa Parks Wikipedia page

6. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    I don't go to Bleacherreport, anyone care to summarize?

7. LLCoolJansma

LLCoolJansma Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Quality
    Minneapolis
    #7 LLCoolJansma, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    Whoa. I had thought Roy had gotten out of the P.J. Hariston ordeal pretty well and that the UNC football team took most of the brunt from the previous acedemic issues. Maybe not now...

"Rashad McCants, the second-leading scorer on the North Carolina basketball team that won the 2004-05 national title, told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that tutors wrote his term papers, he rarely went to class for about half his time at UNC, and he remained able to play largely because he took bogus classes designed to keep athletes academically eligible.
    McCants told "Outside the Lines" that he could have been academically ineligible to play during the championship season had he not been provided the assistance. Further, he said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper-class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade."

"He said coach Roy Williams informed him of his academic troubles during a meeting ahead of the spring semester.

"There was a slight panic on my part ... [he] said, you know, we're going to be able to figure out how to make it happen, but you need to buckle down on your academics."
    He said Williams told him "we're going to be able to change a class from, you know, your summer session class and swap it out with the class that you failed, just so the GPA could reflect that you are in good standing."
    McCants ended up in four AFAM classes in the following semester, earning straight A's. He said he didn't know what Williams was getting at with the summer school class replacement reference, and he never talked with Williams about it again. The transcripts show he had received one A in an AFAM class in the summer of 2004.
    "I remained eligible to finish out and win the championship, his first championship, and everything was peaches and cream," McCants said."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11036924/former-north-carolina-basketball-star-rashad-mccants-says-took-sham-classes

8. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Just out of curiosity. How do we get the almost same slap on the wrist that UNC to. They had academic faud which academics is supposed to be what this is about. We had a few phone calls and texts.

9. madcityCY

madcityCY Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Architect
    Madison, WI
    Yeah it's ********. The NCAA comes down hard on stupid things, light slaps (or nothing at all) for academic fraud or paying players by the top brand programs.