KC BBQ

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PabloDiablo, Jul 9, 2014.

1. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    I will be in KC next weekend and need advice on prioritizing my BBQ stops. I have had some family recommend Bryant's and Oklahoma Joe's. I've also heard good things about Gates.

Anyone have suggestions on what's best? Any other locations or secret hidden gems?

Thanks.

2. Gorm

Gorm Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Amana, IA
    Gates is my favorite. Keep in mind it is not KC style BBQ. Its more in the line of North Carolina BBQ. The other places you mentioned are more KC style.

3. dmclone

dmclone Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2006
    http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163110&highlight=joes

4. F5cy

F5cy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Washington, D.C.

Oklahoma Joes for sure. Also love Jack Stack on the Plaza - if you want a nice sit down joint.

5. TransferU

TransferU Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Gates is awesome. Kind of intimidating to order but very good.

6. roundball

roundball Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Iowa City area
    Gates is most definitely not Carolina BBQ, and is very much Kansas City BBQ.

Gates, Arthur Bryant's, Oklahoma Joe's, and Jack Stack are the big four. People like each for varying reasons, so I say try them all (and then some)!

7. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    Oklahoma Joes
    Everything else

Protip: Just call ahead to Oklahoma Joes and have your order ready to carryout. It takes FOREVER to stand there and wait in line to eat.

8. nfrine

nfrine Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006
    This is good, solid advice....

9. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    We are staying in Country Club Plaza which is like 2 miles from the original Okla Joe's location, so will probably try that. Also plan on going to Kelly's in Westport to pay homage to the KC Cyclone Gods for continued luck in the tourney. :smile:

10. clonehenge

clonehenge Active Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Live in KC and I'm not a fan of Gates or Arthur Bryant's...

OK Joe's for sure and like dtlantz says, hit Woodyards...it's small (in an old house) but they may have the best ribs in KC as far as I'm concerned.

And Jack Stack across from Union Station is a big hit whenever I take people there from out of town...their Crown Prime Beef Ribs are Flintstone's like (huge) and tremendous...as are their beans...

11. aeroclone

aeroclone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Live in KC as well and also share your opinion on this. Of the big 4, I would also place Gates and Bryants on the bottom.

OK Joes is fantastic - ZMan sandwich and fried.
    Jack Stack also great - Burnt ends with cheesy corn bake and baked beans

And for a location not yet mentioned, BBs Lawnside BBQ. It isn't the worst part of town, but I would suggest a lunch trip on this one if you go.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I've had Gates a couple times and thought it was just ok, and I didn't get the novelty of them yelling at you as soon as you walk in the door. I hear nothing but good things about Oklahoma Joes and Jack Stack however.

13. DFWClone

DFWClone Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Oklahoma Joe's. Been several times. I stop every time on the way from/to DFW to Ames. Get the Carolina pulled pork sandwich. Pretty damn good.

14. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    KC
    Listen to this man. One weird thing about Oklahoma Joes is that their beans are not good. It's usually one of my go-to's for barbecue, but I'd steer clear. Their fries are outstanding (I'd advise sharing an order with someone) and their rings are also very good (but pricey). Z-man, carolina pork and ribs are all really good.

If you go during lunch, try to get there around 1045 to beat the crowd. Oh, and they are closed on Sunday.

15. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    This has got to be at least the sixth thread on this topic, just saying.

16. KCCLONE712

KCCLONE712 Member

Jun 29, 2011
    LC's BBQ is also a great place, I used to mix it up and go there.

17. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    Their potato salad is inedible and the smoked turkey tasted like something from the grocery store deli counter. Ribs were decent. I have only tried it once so I have never tried the brisket. I was down at the KC BBQ store a couple of months ago and thought about trying Ok Joes again but decided to pass.

18. djcubby

djcubby Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2006
    Bondurant
    Just my opinion, but you haven't lived until you've had the "burnt ends on bun" at Gates. It's like little charred chunks of heaven.

19. EIClone

EIClone New Member

Nov 21, 2011
    One of our favorites when we head to KC is a place called Wabash BBQ in Excelsior Springs, MO. Its located in an old train station. Slightly off the beaten track, but well worth the stop. We usually stop there for lunch on the way into town. Prices are also very reasonable.