Justin Madison and Alton Meeks

Discussion in 'Football' started by mt85, Mar 10, 2014.

1. mt85

mt85 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    #1 mt85, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    Justin is listed at DE instead of LB on the current roster. Alton Meeks who was rumored to be switching to DE is still listed at LB.

Can any insiders confirm?

2. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Re: Justin Madison

I suppose this is why he bulked up to 212#? :smile:

3. CloneinWDSM

CloneinWDSM Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Male
    Wasn't Justin Madison rumored to be in the Nickel spot or is that someone else?

4. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Yeah... That has to be an error, right??

5. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    I believe Trey Scott predicted this a few weeks ago on scout. That he would be an edge defender/rusher.

I would guess he would come in when we move Irving to DT and go for a speed rush in pass rushing situations.

There is a chance I am confused with Justin Webster, but he is still listed as a LB.

6. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    That was Mills at Syrie. Madison was/is at WLB, although he played DE in High School, and seemed to be recruited mostly as a DE. I'd take a Willie Scott 2.0. I think their size and background is fairly similar.

7. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    Re: Justin Madison

Which is about what Jason Berryman played at as a true frosh.

Of course, where Madison is listed at, doesn't really matter, since he'll be sitting out the Spring with an ACL.

And Meeks is indeed at MLB.

8. CYCLNST8

CYCLNST8 Well-Known Member

Bump for Meeks. Currently listed #1 at MLB on the pre-fall camp depth chart. Big responsibility as a redshirt freshman, so I took another look at his rivals page. Dude had a LOT of GOOD offers. Anyone feel free to refresh my memory, but did we get a steal because he broke his leg & other schools cooled? We had to pull him away from Cincinnati...

https://rivals.yahoo.com/iowastate/football/recruiting/player-Alton-Meeks-125231;_ylt=AidBtbQyO2lewuzO_wwfptWesJB4

Here's hoping he can make an instant impact.

9. upstateclone

upstateclone Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Logistics
    South Cackalacky
    Justin Webster? They switched him to running back from LB.

10. 19210

19210 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    I think Meeks will stay at MLB. We really haven't had a big Mike since Dobbins have we? He will be a run stopper.

11. CloneinWDSM

CloneinWDSM Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Male
    I believe Cincinnati offered him as a QB if I'm not mistaken.

12. CycloneVet

CycloneVet Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Male
    Veterinariian
    Cedar Falls
    That is quite the list hopefully he lives up to it. That being said I can't imagine he won't Wally has a pretty good track record with linebackers.

13. DandyCyclone

DandyCyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Western Iowa
    This is correct.

14. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    Meeks will stay at linebacker unless Seeley or Harris take the job immediately this fall. Madison will just finished his redshirt year, and will probably bulk up a lot in the future, or play a role as a rusher where he can keep his current weight.

15. UncleCy

UncleCy Member

Jan 15, 2013
    I think you are spot on. He was going to Cincy as a QB, and I think most of the big-name offers were as a LB. The Cincy coaching staff left for Tennessee, and Meeks broke his leg his senior year. That has to leave a kid in a tough spot late in the recruiting cycle, and we wound up with a pretty darn good athlete. Plus, remember he was an EE, so he's had 2 springs and summers with Yancy and Wally. He was probably slowed down last year recovering from that leg injury, but I look for him to be a stud now that he's back to 100%.

16. WhatchaGonnaDo

WhatchaGonnaDo Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Male
    I think a lot of schools offered his as a QB

17. Beyerball

Beyerball Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Sales
    Texas
    Quite sure the big schools wanted him at LB...Florida st, mich st, Pitt etc..

Meeks is going to be a flat out stud MLB for years to come. He's big, strong, and not slow.