Is it time for Wally to retire?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Those 2 big plays were huge breakdowns for a horrible defense. Also I'm not excusing the offense. Both are totally unacceptable.

Most of that 1st quarter I was wondering when NDSU was going to break one though. We were bringing a lot of guys on nearly every play. As Wally said all summer long, this defense was going to have to take a lot of chances, so there might be some big plays for us, but there might be some big plays for them too.

I was concerned that whole 1st quarter though that if one of their RB's broke through the line of scrimmage they might be gone. Turned out, that was pretty much right.

And eventually they just started wearing us down. Our offense was pathetic too, and that only gassed the defense even more. It was a bad cycle.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Retire? Maybe, but how many staff shakeups can Rhoads survive before JP decides that he's the problem?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I blame Rhoads as much or more than Wally. Rhoads is supposed to be a great defensive coach.

WoolyBully

Oct 21, 2012
Stop. Everyone knew the defense would be bad this year. Young and inexperienced.

The offense was supposed to be better. It is not.[/QUOTE

How is it we are and have always been young? Recruit 20 receivers and 2 DLs might be part of the problem here.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
We live in a world of instant gratification and JP knows this too. You can't have two seasons in a row like this and survive. Last year was the youngest team he has fielded. If our Oline and offense can't function when farniok goes out what are they going to do next year when Farniok isn't even here?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Stop. Everyone knew the defense would be bad this year. Young and inexperienced.

The offense was supposed to be better. It is not.[/QUOTE

How is it we are and have always been young? Recruit 20 receivers and 2 DLs might be part of the problem here.

I noticed earlier that we have 30 OL, probably 20 WR and we have 6 DT/NGs. I know it is suppose to be hard to get good DTs, but I would take the guys from NDSU, and would have been glad to come to ISU.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
No. He needs an offense that can score more than 57 yds in a half. His defense spent the whole game on the field again. Rhoads has yet to field a consistent offense in his era.

That defense failed even when the offense was only kind of bad.
I could go either way on this. Wally definitely isn't getting the job done, which goes for everyone associated with the program.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I know he is a great FB mind, but the defense as a whole and the LBers that he coaches have been very suspect for the last 2 years. The DL play was not great today either, but you could see LBers running to the wrong place on both really long runs today.
I'll give him until the end of the year to make progress. If I see the same **** today or if we give up 50 to anyone I'm calling for his head.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
All of the ones prior to Knott going down were overall good enough, and would have been better with support from the offense and in a different conference. More importantly it did not feel like they were under-preforming.

Was it that his defenses overall were that good or was it that Knott/Klein covered up a lot of issues that came to the surface when we no longer had someone of their talent?