Is it time for Wally to retire?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I know he is a great FB mind, but the defense as a whole and the LBers that he coaches have been very suspect for the last 2 years. The DL play was not great today either, but you could see LBers running to the wrong place on both really long runs today.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Stop. Everyone knew the defense would be bad this year. Young and inexperienced.

The offense was supposed to be better. It is not.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I was going to post this but I limit myself to starting one thread per day.

I realize we knew the next few years on defense would be suspect. It probably wouldn't have been a terrible idea to encourage him to retire at the end of next year and try and get a new guy to try and rebuild whatever this is.

I still think he's a great defensive mind, but he won't ever have another good defense here at Iowa State before he retires.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Yes he has failed at his job. The defense has been pathetic the last 2 years and it just keeps getting worse and worse.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
No. He needs an offense that can generate more than 57 yds in a half. His defense spent the whole game on the field again. Rhoads has yet to field a consistent offense in his era.

Last edited:

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
Honestly I'm surprised he has lasted this long. When we hired him I thought he was just going to come in for 2 years and then hand the job to his son.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The defense is "young" and "inexperienced" every single year. So Wally gets a pass for some reason.

And the offense stinks every year too, so Wally gets a pass for that as well.

And Mangino will now get a pass too for a few years because we're learning a new offense.

And if Wally and Mangino get passes, then Rhoads sure gets a pass too, right? I mean, c'mon.

It's not like NDSU had a new head coach and tons of new starters today. If any team today had excuses for looking bad it was NDSU, not us.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
D looked awful in the first half. We're they too tired?
False. Gave up 2 big plays and that was it - nothing more. Mistakes were made, but first half defense was not awful at all.

2nd half defense was pathetic. As was a stupid offensive performance of not even 60 total yards.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
False. Gave up 2 big plays and that was it - nothing more. Mistakes were made, but first half defense was not awful at all.

2nd half defense was pathetic. As was a stupid offensive performance of not even 60 total yards.
Those 2 big plays were huge breakdowns for a horrible defense. Also I'm not excusing the offense. Both are totally unacceptable.

WoolyBully

Oct 21, 2012
I know he is a great FB mind, but the defense as a whole and the LBers that he coaches have been very suspect for the last 2 years. The DL play was not great today either, but you could see LBers running to the wrong place on both really long runs today.

Why does he have a 10 yard cushion with corners and d backs? We give up 7 yard curls every game. What did ndsu average? 7.1 per play? That is unacceptable. I'm not a huge donor, but give plenty and am excited for the SEZ and will probably get tix there, but this really makes me reconsider where I spend my money. Love the Clones, alum, and have been a fan for 38 years, just venting, but would really like to move on and win some games.

Apr 19, 2006

This year might make him think hard about retiring. I don't think it is Wally so much as the wrong players for his system and said players knowing their assignments.

Help Support Us

Become a patron