Intel to offer a-la-carte TV channel subscriptions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CLONECONES, Jan 2, 2013.

1. CLONECONES

CLONECONES Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Real Estate
    RVA
    Intel Is Reportedly Going To Destroy The Cable Model By Offering People The Ability To Subscribe To Individual Channels - Business Insider

It's an interesting read but that's the key paragraph.

DEATH TO CABLE BUNDLING

2. CycoCyclone

CycoCyclone Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Male
    Business Analyst
    Urbandale
    God, I hope so.

3. cyhawkdmb

cyhawkdmb Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    I have been saying this for years!

4. IcSyU

IcSyU Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Rochester, MN
    I'd be willing to bet Intel loses a loooooot of money on this if true.

5. Stewo

Stewo Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Ankeny
    The money-hungry bastards in the right places won't allow it to happen. It would be amazing though.

6. brianhos

brianhos Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Computer geek
    Trenchtown
    The companies that own the channels will never go for it.

7. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    Not sure how this will play out, could have a bad long term trickle down effect

Disney, for instance, charges TV distributors about $5 for every subscriber that gets ESPN. And, by some estimates, only about 25 percent of cable customers actually watch ESPN on a regular basis. So if you unbundled ESPN, the per-subscriber cost might shoot up to $20 or more, to account for the 75 percent drop in its customer base.

If people don't want to pay $20+ for ESPN, it could result in a huge decrease in revenue and ESPN/FOX defaulting on these megadeals they gave the Big 12, and the other conferences.

8. CysRage

CysRage Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I can't see every channel agreeing to this. Most media companies forced cable companies to add less popular channels to get the more popular channels. For examples they force them to add Nick Jr in order to get MTV. These media companies will lose money in an ala carte model. In addition, read the bottom of the article, the prices could actually be more expensive for somebody who watches more cable than the average user since costs would raise for some channels in an ala carte model. Don't get me wrong I would love for this to happen but it could and probably be very watered down.

9. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Network and Server Admini
    Cable will definitely need to drop their ******** bandwidth caps.

10. ia8manfan

ia8manfan Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I would pay $20/month during football season to just get ESPN (and also FSN). The rest of cable is just garbage. We cut the cord 18 months ago, and except missing random games, I don't regret it. I was home for Christmas and realized that I was paying $100/month for crap.

11. iowast8fan

iowast8fan Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Ankeny
    Unbundled programming will not be cheap...

Those bundles are core to today’s TV ecosystem. And the TV guys insist that consumers really don’t want “a la carte” programming, because if they do, the channels/shows they like today will end up costing much, much more.

Disney, for instance, charges TV distributors about $5 for every subscriber that gets ESPN. And, by some estimates, only about 25 percent of cable customers actually watch ESPN on a regular basis. So if you unbundled ESPN, the per-subscriber cost might shoot up to $20 or more, to account for the 75 percent drop in its customer base.

12. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    Wouldn't that be great for ISU staying in a geographically logical power conference long term?

13. MLawrence

MLawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I agree with this, and it doesn't help that a majority of the channels are owned by the same few companies.

14. JD720

JD720 Active Member

Jan 3, 2009
    As expected...

15. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    I'm the same way. I have DirecTV in my condo building built into my fees, but outside of college football I really don't watch it at all. A rerun of Seinfeld at bedtime twice a month is my non-ESPN tv usage. I watch Chicago Bulls basketball but almost half of those games are free over the air in HD. I also watched live election returns on...PBS...which also would be free in HD over the air.

I think people are generally like us where they watch practically no tv, or they are addicted to 5+ household hours of TV a day which probably would be outrageously expensive a la carte.

16. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    No kidding, the Big 10 Network would take a huge hit. Especially since it's one of the most expensive channels out there.

17. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    Maybe if theRe weren't so many ****** channels out there it wouldn't be a big deal. I would love to drop cable, but the wife would never go for it. She watches too much crap on crappy stations

18. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Maybe it needs to happen. The draconian bundling of channels and the ever-increasing cost of cable is already pushing people to streaming services - which cuts networks much further out of the loop than a la cart channel offerings would.

19. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    It's the example of a type of channel that should be a la carte and unlike Disney or Viacom they don't have other channels with broader appeal. I doubt this model is going to become the norm, but I would love if BTN ends up being a la carte per subscriber and the Big Ten is stuck with their crappy Rutgers/Maryland add.

20. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Network and Server Admini
    Everybody wants to do this, CES will be full of it. I dont see it taking off just yet. Too many politics.