In retrospect Marcus Fizer

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by Nuts4Cy, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Nuts4Cy

Nuts4Cy Member

Mar 21, 2006
  2. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    That knee injury really derailed what probably would have been a long nba career.

3. benjay

benjay Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Good link

4. kansascy

kansascy Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Wichita, KS
  5. ST84LIFE

ST84LIFE Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Great article, great work by Carmon Wilson go follow him on twitter. @Cdub_99

I think Fizer's jersey needs to be hanging in Hilton!

6. 83Clone

83Clone Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Ankeny, IA
    If he has his degree, I agree

7. GoCubsGo

GoCubsGo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Wow, I had never heard about his parents' house burning down. I wonder if he really would have come back for his senior year had it not been for that. It's easy for him to say that now, but would have been much more difficult to actually turn down all that money as a 20 year old. Had he come back, we would have been a strong contender for a number 1 preseason ranking and obviously would have had just as good a chance as anyone to win the whole damn thing.

8. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    Why? What happened when he was playing at ISU was something special. One of the greatest players of all times in the Big 12. He did so much for ISU.

9. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    Interesting what a different take he has on his coaches than his most outspoken teammate. ISU basketball is fortunate he didn't transfer when Floyd left one year after bringing him here, then fortunate he stayed for his junior season after leading the Big 12 in scoring and it sounds like he'd have liked to play his senior year but if things were different.

10. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    Signed with ISU when blue bloods were offering, didn't transfer when the coach who signed him skipped out to the NBA, didn't transfer after sophomore year when he lead the Big 12 in scoring and was a lock for a high to mid first round pick, doesn't trash his coaches and teammates in interviews, road a ten speed bike around campus...ok I just added that last one because I always loved seeing a dude that huge riding a bike around campus.

Another way of looking at it...if you're against Ejim getting his jersey hung, and you're against Fizer getting his jersey hung...you need to lighten up and realize you'll never want another ISU jersey hung. No player of Fizer's skills is going to play 4 years now with the $ that is out there, it's incredible Fizer stayed 3 years.

11. nfrine

nfrine Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2006

Georges will....

12. CyBri

CyBri Member

Mar 3, 2012
    So his kids are good players... Sign them up.

13. Triggermv

Triggermv Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Energy Trader
    Marion, IA
    Outside of the debate over whether Georges has the talent/skillset/athleticism to get drafted after this coming year, I've heard from a very reliable source that his intentions are to jump in early if he feels he can get drafted. I know I'm not the only one to post this fact as well.

14. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    It wasn’t until after the season was over that my parents called me and told me that their house — the house I grew up in — had burned down a couple months before. They had been living in a hotel in my hometown and never told me. There was an electrical fire with some wiring and the house was destroyed. They wanted me to focus on basketball and our season. Once they told me that I felt like I had to go to the NBA and made my decision that much faster. But I definitely would have come back for my senior year had that not have happened. Those guys went on to have a great season and I wish I could have been a part of that.â€￾

​Wow, I never new about this.

15. peteypie

peteypie Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    #15 peteypie, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    He has a son that's 16 and has been hearing from UNC? I think we would have an inside track on him if he turns out to be a stud.

Let's see, Fizer still follows ISU, and played with Fred at Chicago. I hope his sons turn out like Marcus.

16. SC Cy

SC Cy Well-Known Member

That should never be a deciding factor in retiring a jersey.

17. bos

bos Legend
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Network and Server Admini
    The wikipedia on him says

" The story about how he became a youth minister is interesting and shocking, as his mother was being taken to the hospital for the abortion before he was born. Fortunately, the car crashed into a church and the abortion was not done."

Crazy if true.

18. chadly82

chadly82 Active Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Its part of the ISU criteria to do so i believe.....

19. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    It needs to change then.

20. CornFedIABoy

CornFedIABoy Member

Jan 8, 2014
    No. It shouldn't.