I would love to sit down with Mangino....

Discussion in 'Football' started by clonedude, Aug 15, 2014.

1. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2006
    Male
    .... after he's taken a truth serum, and then watch every single one of ISU's football games from last year.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about football (insert jokes here, I know), but I would love to hear Mangino's flat out honest critique of our offense last year.

2. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    I would wait to see the offense's production this year before you assume it is going to be head and shoulders better than last year.

3. ajk4st8

ajk4st8 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Ankeny
    Tom Herman agrees. Winning with our talent and/or depth is pretty tough.

The type of guys that we think are REALLY good for us are a dime a dozen in the Big 12.

4. DuckDynastyCy

DuckDynastyCy Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    They were at KU in 2007, too.

5. clonedude

Apr 17, 2006
    Male
    I tend to agree with this, however, this year I'd at least like to see some intelligent playcalling. Whether or not we have the talent to make it work is a whole other issue, but I'd at least like to see plays ran that make sense.

Running your QB more times than all your RBs combined is not intelligent playcalling. Not making any teams that blitz you pay for it by throwing a quick slant to the TE or WR in the area vacated by the blitzing LBs, is not smart playcalling. And trying to run it down Iowa's throat for 3 quarters, when their weakness is their secondary, is not smart playcalling.

6. bigsag

bigsag Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Seriously, you never would want to sit down with an actual football coach and review film of a game. Within ten minutes, it would become apparent to you, that you actually know nothing about the game of football. A coach would point out things that you likely have NEVER even noticed. You may even decide that you know so little that you conclude that perhaps you should no longer post your football opinions on CF. None of us want that.........

7. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    I think people will be in for a rude awakening if they think this offense will be as good as they think. If you look at teams that get new OC's who run a different system, the first season isnt as good as some thought it would be, but the second season is usually where the lightbulbs come on.

8. GTO

GTO Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Male
    Project Manager
    North DFW, TX
    I read the thread title and automatically though: "...for lunch". Is that bad? But in all seriousness, I know many are saying we should temper our expectations for the offense. The way I see it, he is not just taking last year's offensive team but a potentially better team on offense than last year. Wimberly is available and healthy, and newcomers Lazard and Montgomery should be able to contribute. Add a healthy QB, and we might have something.

The other thing is that he is taking over for a bad OC (not even a mediocre one), so in comparison the offense should look that much better anyway. Sure, we won't be Baylor-like on offense, but after how horrible we were last year, any step in the right direction will feel like a huge improvement.

9. clonedude

Apr 17, 2006
    Male
    Ha. Everyone thinks they are a comedian these days I guess?

By the way, I would find it fascinating to sit down with an actual football coach.

10. OPButtrey

OPButtrey Member

Nov 22, 2010
    I actually do think we will be considerably better on offense. Mess was bad and Herman is only good against equal talent. Mangino is experienced at doing more with less. Add healthy QB and healthy O-line and I believe we will be very competitive.

11. bigsag

bigsag Active Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Aaaa..... I wasn't joking............

12. DandyCyclone

DandyCyclone Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    Western Iowa
    ... and destroy some Hickory Park together.

13. Cyhops

Cyhops Member

Nov 4, 2009
    It's funny how nearly every thread devolves into the same conversation.

14. swarthmoreCY

swarthmoreCY Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Here nor there
    #14 swarthmoreCY, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    Getting to the point where it is simply a talent issue would be head and shoulders above the past.

And I bet Herman would agree- which is why he was not a good fit. All offenses do better when you have the superior talent, but some require it. Winning with our talent and/or depth takes a talented OC.

15. isulive2train

isulive2train Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Real Estate Mgmt
    Ciclón Nación
    Basement coaches! UNITE!

16. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    I think he'd tell you what he's said since he's came to Iowa State: there's enough talent to be successful, but that talent was not used correctly last season.

17. Rods79

Rods79 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Architect
    Des Moines
    Hate to call for a link...but did he actually say that bolded part?

18. 00clone

00clone Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2011
    "Before" picture model
    Iowa City area

I think it was more along the lines of "we just have to figure out how to put the pieces together" or something of that general thought line.

19. Luth4Cy

Luth4Cy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Ames, IA
    He didn't, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was implied. If he really thinks it was used correctly than I don't know what the hell he's doing here, because then nothings going to improve this year.

20. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Robins, Iowa
    I for one, am looking forward to seeing the MM offense in action. It may not be hitting on all cylinders right out of the gate, but I think some of you guys will be surprised how much better an offense can be with a real OC, with a real plan instead of a guy wanting his players to watch ESPN's play of the day to see what they are doing wrong.