How to Tip

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I am a good tipper after having bartended and waitressed. What I don't understand are the tip jars at SELF-SERVE yogurt places like Orange Leaf. Shouldn't they be tipping me?

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
I enjoy reading tipping threads as I am a bartender as well as server every once in a while. I enjoy tending bar and chatting with the customers, but first and foremost I hate seeing empty glasses. That usually reflects in my tips. I also agree with the person that said they will just start a tab and tip 20% at the end instead of tipping after each drink. It's easier for us as well, and it's ridiculous to expect a dollar per drink from every single customer.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We usually go with 10-15%.One issue we have had is the tip never getting taken out. They charge us for the bill and never add the tip on.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I kinda agree with this - except the waiting profession as their wages are adjusted accordingly. But I'm also more confused as ever as to what professions are regularly tipped.

I had zero idea that maid service at hotels is considered worthy of a tip. Or my wife's hair person (and somebody needs to explain to me how my bill is 19 and her's is upwards of 100. She can't)

When I was in HS, I worked at the local movie theater. Mr Tightwad the owner apparently figured that being an usher or concession-ere was a "service" industry profession as we made less than minimum. I bet you can guess how many times I was tipped for anything.

I agree - it's out of hand and should just be eliminated.

Honest questions. Should we tip at small, economy hotels, like Econolodge, Super 8, etc.? Does it matter if you are staying several days versus just one night?

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Depends on if you leave any blood stains. You gotta compensate for that.

Let's say you have a "Very Bad Things" type stay. What's the tip on that?

vbt1.jpg

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Honest questions. Should we tip at small, economy hotels, like Econolodge, Super 8, etc.? Does it matter if you are staying several days versus just one night?

I think it's one of those things that is nice, but probably not expected. I knew a couple people that worked cleaning for a low-mid range hotel in Ames, and I am sure it is appreciated. They do make minimum wage at least, so it is not part of their "salary."

DIRustCohle

Apr 15, 2014
Ville Platte
Like many, I had issues with this article. I pretty much knew from reading the guy was a 24-30 year old doosh. Not sure if he is north of that or not.

First of all, do any of them really make $2.00 an hour? Both my kids bartend (in school) and I don't think either have ever made less than $8.00 an hour plus tips, and that is in the Midwest.

Is change no longer legal tender? I had a buddy in college that took all his change home and put it in a jar. He would bank it in December, and May, and it was always over $1000.00. I would like to thank the writer for making me aware that when I tip a $1.00 plus remaining change when I get a drink, I'm being a ****. I will now keep the change I have been giving. Based on how much I typically drink, It will be around $500 a year back in my pocket.

One of the biggest issues I have with his wisdom is that he is literally saying if you tip us more, we will steal from our owner to give you free drinks. I'm sure bar owners are happy about that one. I understand that happens, I know it's part of the trade, but I don't think he would openly write about that if it was his dollar going into he pockets of his staff, customers.

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
That's a little out of line in some spots, but a good 10 to 20 percent of customers shouldn't be eating out at restaurants in this country the way they tip. There's a definite connection between the worst customers and worst tippers too, just all around miserable people.

agree. I waited tables and bartended in IC and Ames. Every single person should wait tables for 6 months.

Embarrassing being with someone who doesn't understand tipping, yet is high maintenance at the table.

Bartending on the Coralville strip years ago, the best tippers by far were other wait staff and bartenders that came in from downtown IC after their own shifts.

The worst by far were always groups of nurses from nearby U of Iowa Hospitals. tight wads...good lord

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
Why should the percentage of tip rise over time? It is a percentage, not a flat amount.
I have seen people I know evolve over time....once flat-out cheap (10%), and have gotten more in line with modern day practices. Two cases were people from farms. lol. They just didn't know any better. 5% was even satisfactory in their minds....

Last edited:

josh4isu

Aug 10, 2010
Iowa
ill start this by saying no one is entitled to a good tip. tips = To Insure Proper Service

having worked in a chain restaurant you can very easily make less than minimum wage even on a busy night.

start by getting paid 4.35 an hour after taxes lets say its closer to $3. work 4-12. Net $24

then tip out 2.5% of your sales. usually on a friday $1000 in sales. thats a $25 tip out. thats -1$ for showing up.

i do a great job. but the way restaurant workers are paid is very flawed. point being if they do a good job, tip accordingly. if they do an awful job go with 5-10%. also never be afraid to grab a manager if someone does that terrible of a job.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have seen people I know evolve over time....once flat-out cheat (10%), and have gotten more in line with modern day practices. Two cases were people from farms. lol. They just didn't know any better. 5% was even satisfactory in their minds....

I guess I am a jerk then. You get what you deserve. Especially if what others have said that you are legally able to go to your boss and get paid whatever you need to make minimum wage is true.

I am not demanding and quite laid back.*We don't go out to upscale places because we can't afford it at this point in our life so if tipping our Applebee's Cheddars, BJ's Brewhouse or Logan's waiter10-15% is bad well then I guess I am a bad person.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron