Games with your kids

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by coolerifyoudid, Apr 29, 2014.

1. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    Despite playing a significant amount of video games as a kid (original Super Mario junkie), I've been practicing hypocrisy by keeping my daughter away from them. I'll let her play a few games on my phone (just so she isn't "that kid") but I really try to steer her away from electronic gaming.

We try to play a lot of board games and a few card games. I'm just curious to get other CF's favorite games to play with their kids. Do you talk smack? Are your kids good winners/losers?

2. CRcyclone6

CRcyclone6 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Recruiting
    Cedar Rapids
    Connect 4 with my 9 and 6 year olds. Trash talking allowed. My 6 yr old boy gets ****** when he loses, and I'm ok with to a point. He isn't a sore loser, just doesn't like it. Card games like Skipbo and UNO, my 9 yr old daughter loves and is pretty good. We play a memory card game with our 2 year old. They do play some Xbox once in awhile.

3. RyCy04

RyCy04 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Presidents & ********.

4. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Des Moines
    In before someone claims benefits of developing eye-hand coordination in playing video games.

5. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    If I'm playing without drinking I really don't mind being *******.

6. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I see no problem with video games as long as they're appropriate for their age and that video games aren't all they do.

7. Incyte

Incyte Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2007
  8. MrOtter

MrOtter Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Research Assistant
    Fort Collins, CO
    Is that a thing that you hear all the time or something? It seems like there could certainly be some benefit to playing video games when it comes to things like critical thinking, reading comprehension, and problem solving (depending on the game anyway). I guess hand-eye coordination could be a benefit but it seems like sports would be better for that so I've never really heard that as a pro-video game argument... just seemed like a weird thing to say, I guess

9. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2012
    Enginerd
    Johnston
    When I was young we played the s**t out of Candyland. I really like candy now, probably no correlation. :jimlad:

But I do have an odd fascination with ladders, battleships, and convertibles with three rows of seating. :biglaugh:

10. coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    My reluctance to a lot of video games is more from an age standpoint. My girl is 6 now and don't want her to get too comfortable with any electronic devices yet. The time will come for it, but I've seen too many kids her age (already) that rarely get their heads out of their electronics. I have some nephews like that and it drives me nuts.

And yeah, that's more of a parenting issue. I'm not a blame-video-games-for-everything kinda guy.

11. capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
    Des Moines
    Google "video games develop..." It will fill in "eye-hand coordination" for you if that tells you anything.

12. Cybirdy

Cybirdy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    With our older girls (11 and 8.5) we tend to do dice games like Farkle and Tenzi. Growing up we played a lot of Skip Bo and UNO. I also liked rummy games like Rummikub.

I did not grow up with a gaming system, so I really stink at video games. I can't even play games on my phone like Minion Rush (on there for the kids). We have a Wii for the kids and hubby has a PS4 but the kids and him don't play very often.

13. coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    I played memory with my daughter last night and actually won. I told my wife I was retiring. My wife destroys me in that damn game and my daughter usually does.

I'm starting to teach my daughter how to smack talk a little bit, but it's slow going. I made her cry the first time. Felt like an *******. She's slowly picking up a few things. I may have to splurge for some courtside tix so she can hear Georges at work.

14. capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
    Des Moines
    Similar with me and my 7-year old daughter. Also, I know my own weaknesses so I abstain from having in our house for my own self-preservation. We have good friends that have a wii, so she does get some exposure.

Back to games, I wish my daughter would be interested in playing more board games, cards, etc. She does want to sometimes, but more often she want to just “play” which unfortunately for me involves Barbie, stuff animals, princesses, etc.

Hummm….how much they getting for an Xbox nowadays?

15. azepp

azepp Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Ankeny
    Lots of Uno (we stack the deck so it's half "specials"/wilds and half numbers - makes for a more fun game when you can hit someone with three draw 4s in a row) , Crazy 8s, and Old Maid for my 4- and 7-year-old girls. Trash talking encouraged, but only if you're not going to pout when you don't back it up.

16. kentkel

kentkel Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Male
    Teacher
    Grinnell
    I have Tween and Teen daughters. We love the following games: Clue, Scattergories, Apples to Apples, Beyond Balderdash, Racko, various card games and the dice game Farkle. While my daughters like to play the Mario & Lego video games, my wife & I have maintained a decent balance among board, card and video games. I'm glad they don't always prefer video games, 'cuz I have little chance at beating them in those games.

17. capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
    Des Moines
    In third grade, our teacher introduced us to chess. I think think that was a good age so I plan to do the same with my daughter next year. That should burn some quality time away from mind numbing activies.

18. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I think not wanting to have your 6 year old comfortable with electronics is a little silly, being comfortable with electronics and being addicted to electronics are two completely separate matters.

19. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    I plan to play risk, monopoly & Life. Then I plan to destroy them so they know what to expect when entering the corporate world. :jimlad:

20. wartknight

wartknight Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    We play games in the yard a lot. Kickball with a very light rubber ball has become a favorite (girls 8, 5, 3) and we will also play wiffleball which I have to admit has become a lot of fun with neighbors and drinking involved. A ton of neighbor kids also come and play 4 square in our driveway.
    As for indoor games, sequence has become a favorite. Uno and old maid and crazy 8s are classics. Apples to Apples jr. We have talked about trying monopoly soon as well.
    We have established a tradition of, when playing cards, we all chuck ours at the winner whenever that happens, or, with sequence, whoever flips the board in faux rage first after someone wins automatically gets 2nd