Friday OT #2 - Hobbies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Angie, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    I don't like my celebrity thread very much, so here's another try.

What are your hobbies? Or what would you like to take up? Beer making, hunting, woodworking? How much do you have to spend on your hobby each year?

2. keepngoal

keepngoal Jobless Jerk
    Staff Member

Jun 20, 2006
    My hobbies....

1) doing things with my kids ... trying/exploring/having fun.
    2) building my new business... one year in and still kicking. I love what I do... and put lots of extra effort in making it work.

3. MaccloNe

MaccloNe Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    IT
    Can ISU sports be a hobby?

4. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I like to cross stitch, which is an old lady hobby. If there are babies to make projects for, it costs more, but probably only $100 a year. In a year where I don't have a baby project and just work on my nearly 8 year old cross stitch, the cost is $0, lol.

I think I may get into gardening/flowers a bit next year. Never been big into it in the past, but somehow I see it being more fun when it's my own and not just my mom wanting help planting all those damn flowers she wants around the house, ha!

oh, and you don't get to take time off from OT threads - this is America, you don't get maternity leave for that! :jimlad:

5. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Does beer drinking count? I also like backpacking and playing guitar.

6. ianoconnor

ianoconnor Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Male
    Urbandale
    #6 ianoconnor, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    Homebrewing is my main hobby. I enjoy photgraphy but don't currently have a camera, as having two expensive hobbies isn't very feasible right now.

Amount spent on homebrew stuff varies a lot. Depends if I'm buying equipment or just ingredients. Wild guess, but maybe $3,000 since I started a few years back.

7. isuska

isuska Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Ankeny, IA
    does playing NCAA football on Xbox while walking on the treadmill count?

8. Angie

Angie square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Female
    IT
    IA
    You made me laugh with this entire post! I do enjoy cross stitching, too - it's something to keep your hands busy while you're relaxing. But you're right, it's definitely not cool to say you do it.

Also - I'll have to tell the baby that he needs to sleep first thing every Friday morning! :wink:

ISU sports aredefinitely​ a hobby, IMO.

9. WhatchaGonnaDo

WhatchaGonnaDo Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Male
    Outdoors stuff.

Camping, fishing, kayaking, hiking. Stuff like that.

All these things have a pretty heavy initial investment requirement but after that it's just paying for licenses and permits.

10. Lumpys

Lumpys New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Freight Management
    Haslet, TX
    Stock Cars

11. Al_4_State

Al_4_State Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Driftless Region
    I'm another outdoors person. I spent a lot of time hiking, running, bicycling, kayaking, canoeing, etc. Where I live, it's far and away the most available and highest quality recreation opportunity. I also like to travel and just explore new places. I try to go to a different ISU road football game every year, and I always try to get their at least a day early to explore the town and really get a feel for that university's community.

I keep telling myself I'm going to start home brewing. I have a lot of friends who do it (or did back when they had more free time), and I've acquired some of the gear, but have yet to really set aside the time or get all the necessary **** to get started.

12. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica

Doesn't the exercise defeat the purpose?

13. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    He also eats Cheetos at the same time so it all cancels out.

14. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009

oh, I'll count sport stuff then too. ISU volleyball and NASCAR.

don't pee yourself laughing - are you due any day now? At least it's been a nice mild summer for being pregnant.

15. MeanDean

MeanDean Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Male
    Retired Civil Engineer
    Clarence IA-Jensen Beach FL
    So many...

Old cars, specifically Fords. Like my '55 Fairlane. Also have an '89 GT 5.0 Mustang I special ordered way back then. Red w/white leather interior and 5 Speed. Just turned 31,000 miles this year. I keep thinking I should get a new one since they're so much more powerful and refined, but driving the '89 is just a blast.

Records and music. Love old 45's moreso than LPs. So much music was produced and released by local and regional acts that never were popular enough to have albums made. A local company could take a chance on a 45 but the cost of producing an LP with cover, etc was a cost prohibitive risk most would only take with really popular local or regional acts. Specifically now I'm looking at Iowa acts/pressings. Love to find obscure stuff and bore/torture my friends by playing it for them to see if they get as excited about a "new" find as I do. They never ever do, but I still do. Also music related items (posters, radio surveys) but only 1972 and back.

Have/had a Pepsi collection. Something my brother and I used to do together. Everyone else did coke, so we decided Pepsi. Our dad was a Pepsi man, so we were raised to think a bottle of Pepsi was just about the best treat we could ever have. I've downsized it some but still have a lot.

Related to above. Pop/soda drinking glasses. Vintage-ish. These are harder to get.

Also branched out into Hull Pottery.

The larger glass (milk glass usually) kitchen type salt and pepper shakers. Not the fancy ones or the novelty/shaped ones. The ones that were just utilitarian.

I used to help a friend at flea markets and the collecting bug sort of creeps up on you when you're around it. Being there in the set-up before the general public allows you to sometimes find some real bargains.

Also like to ride my maxi-scooter (Yamaha Majesty) 400 cc. (Not your little brother's scooter!)

16. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    Golf............costs, hmmmmm. Well my bill is usually 700-$1100 / month, depending on how many cocktails, tournaments or meals the family eats. But golf is an expensive but I enjoy it and it is a good networking deal (so helps with work).

17. Firefighter4Cy

Firefighter4Cy Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Firefighter
    Stuart
    I do a lot of woodworking in my spare time. I've made workbenches, tables, swings, coffee tables, toy boxes etc.

Depending on the project it can cost around 200 each time plus tool maint.

18. stateofmind

stateofmind Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    IT
    Ankeny
    Golf, but is it considered a hobby if I plan to play professionally on the senior tour in 6 years? I'm a 15 handicap now, so I only have a little work to get there. :wink: Way to effing expensive!

19. CloneinWDSM

CloneinWDSM Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Male
    Sports - Good rotation with playing Basketball in winter months and Volleyball, Softball, Tennis, and Golf in summer months.

20. uro cy

uro cy Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Does wasting time on CF count?