Favorite Thanksgiving Foods or Traditions

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Weird, I know, but sometimes we have roast turkey.

Actually, not much of a fan of Pumpkin Pie. It's sorta like meh. I'll maybe eat a piece if that's all there is.

We actually (even the kids) like lima beans (the real Fordhooks - frozen NOT CANNED. And not those hard little Babies) swimming in butter and lightly salted. Yumm!

Also HOME CANNED pickled beets. Is there anything better?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Ultimate first helping:
* Turkey dark meat
* Stuffing w/ gravy
* Mashed potatoes (gravy)
* Broccoli casserole (if available) — may substitute corn
* Bread of some sort
* "Relish-tray" items: Olives, carrots, dill pickle

Second trip:
* Turkey white w/ gravy
* Stuffing w/gravy
* Stuffing (on the side)

I don't like cranberries or sweet potatoes, and I load up so much on main courses, dessert is irrelevant to me — I like a little pumpkin pie "later." Like, on Saturday.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Stuffing and green bean casserole. And for the record, I don't even like Turkey. But, I eat it because I feel obligated since its Thanksgiving.

Yeah, i'm not a huge turkey fan either, which is even worse when it comes to the whole leftovers thing. If i wasnt a big fan the first time around i sure don't want the leftovers.

I'm usually in it for the pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, rolls, fruit salads, etc.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah, i'm not a huge turkey fan either, which is even worse when it comes to the whole leftovers thing. If i wasnt a big fan the first time around i sure don't want the leftovers.

I'm usually in it for the pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, rolls, fruit salads, etc.

Especially those cheap crusty rolls that come in the white cardboard tray thing that are ridiculously awesome.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I don't mind the leftover because I actually like cold turkey sandwiches slathered in miracle whip better than the actual fresh out of the oven turkey.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I was just talking with a co-worker and we realize how many starches are present for the Thanksgiving meal.

Potatoes, Sweet potatoes, stuffing, rolls, and maybe you count the pies? Corn is sometimes considered a starch too.

terryleebr

Apr 10, 2006
Pumpkin bread. It's a 3/2 food. Have to make 3 if you want 2 left for Thanksgiving.

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
I'm attempting my first ever turkey fry tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Our inaugural turkey fry was last year. I was pretty partial to the flavor of the garlic injection. Ate a bunch of turkey when we fried one up pre-event for practice. Experienced a mild upset stomach afterward, assumed I overrate. When I ate the holiday bird a couple of weeks later the stomach churning post-meal was crazy, with a hefty fever-chill cycle accompaniment. Was it an overload of MSG? Whatever it was has made the fried bird rather unpalatable to me now. What a bummer.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I don't like cranberries or sweet potatoes,
I didn't realize I was one of the few that is insane for cranberries. When I lived in Africa, I searched over the whole country for cranberries and finally found them canned. In Brazil, I pined away thinking of cranberries. In Chile, they actually raised cranberries, but you couldn't find them anywhere in any market. They exported them all to the United States. I eat cranberries all year around now so they aren't exactly a Thanksgiving treat anymore. But when I was young, Thanksgiving introduced me to them, and turkey wouldn't be the same without them.