do you use twitter?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by theyork, Jan 10, 2013.

?

do you use twitter?

1. Yes

98 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. theyork

theyork Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Artist in residence
    hedgesville, wv
    just curious. i'm in the group of people who just don't "get" it. and like an 80yr old with the internet, i probably never will.

2. notengonacho1

notengonacho1 Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Nope, waste of time.

3. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    I'm on there a lot more than here anymore. Get news faster, don't have to sift through as much worthless sarcasm from part time comedians.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CLONECONES

CLONECONES Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Real Estate
    RVA
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Think of it this way. Do you read the newspaper? Do you read news on yahoo or something? Even this website.

Now, when you read those sites there is a ton of bull**** that you don't care about. Celebrity marriage stuff, weather in locations you don't care about, sports news you aren't interested in.

If you are on twitter, you can follow people who exclusively post (tweet) about things that interest you. You follow Chris Williams, Ben Bruns, John Walters, ect for cyclone stuff and you get real time information constantly. Anthony Lazard committs? You get that info 10 minutes after it happens and you can go to CF to talk about it. That info wouldn't be available until the next day in newspapers and it takes a while to write an article about it.

There is also a lot of fun stuff and funny accounts out there that are really entertaining, and the best part is that if you don't think they are funny, you don't follow them and you don't have to deal with it. It is catered specifically to your needs and wants when it comes to news and entertainment.

It isn't just "Took the biggest dump this morning, you guys" "Just ate a banana everyone" that people think it is on the surface.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CysRage

CysRage Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    What ripvdub said. It is incredible for getting news. Its a great way to get only the news you want and twitter tends to be faster with news than any other website. Plus you can see some pretty funny stuff on there. I never thought I would get into it like I have but I love it now.

7. CycloneNorth

CycloneNorth Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Clarksville, TN
    I don't tweet, but I do read other people's.

8. urb1

urb1 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Urbandale
    Same here.

9. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Rhoadhoused has it right. Twitter is great for having a customized feed of things youre interested in. If your twitter feed sucks its entirely your fault for following the wrong people.

10. azepp

azepp Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Ankeny
    Can't beat it for filtering news so you only get the info you're interested in.

11. Rhoadhoused

Rhoadhoused Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Student
    Ames, IA
    [​IMG]

12. CLONECONES

CLONECONES Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Real Estate
    RVA
    That's what lists are for!

13. Cyclones_R_GR8

Cyclones_R_GR8 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Omaha
    I created an account just to see what all the hub bub was about. Don't care to follow anyone. I don't need to know if ISU gets a commit 30 seconds after the ink is dry. I don't care what Ashton Kutcher or any celebrity/athlete has to say about the world. #IDONTCARE

14. istater7

istater7 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Following for news from CNN or ESPN is kind of nice though. it's not just about following celebrities, which is really stupid imo

15. huntt26

huntt26 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Male
    Instructional Technology
    po' dUnk
    I don't tweet but I use it to follow my interests. It's a great way to sort out all the "crap" and just read what I want to. You can get news a lot faster on Twitter than anywhere else.

16. AbidebyCy

AbidebyCy New Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Agronomist
    Carroll, Iowa
    If you have your twitter on your phone, it makes a good bathroom reader.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MNCYWX

MNCYWX Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Meteorologist
    Spamville, MN
    For work only.

18. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Have it and love it for keeping up with friends as well as news.

19. cymate

cymate Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2011
    Ames, the labb
    Ive had my twitter for about 4 years now, honestly its changed my way of getting news it is up to the second, makes sporting events about 10 times better, it actually makes everything better. But you have to make sure your using it correctly

20. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 21, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    NE Oklahoma
    This. It's changed the way I get information. I rarely go to ESPN.com, newspaper websites, etc. Just scroll through twitter and you'll have as much information as you want...the second it breaks.

It's also great to follow while watching sports (except for last night...that sucked).