Dish Network to DirecTV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by down2cyz, Aug 13, 2014.

1. down2cyz

down2cyz Member

Jan 11, 2008
    I have had Dish Network for 11 years but am really tired of the constant rate hikes without changing channel lineups. Thinking of giving Direct tv a try.

Any opinions positive or negative. I always liked the alternate channels to watch college sports, are these available on Direct? We need two room dvr and HD. Sunday ticket is also an attractive perk.

2. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    grundy center
    I have directv. i have the sportspak so i can get the twins games.

After 2 years my rate jumped to about $105/month with 3 HD receivers.

3. Farnsworth

Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
    Get ready for the repost police.

I vote direct tv though.

4. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    I prefer Directv, but if rate hikes are your concern it's probably not what you are looking for.

5. HandSanitizer

HandSanitizer Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    NA
    Central US
    every single provider raises their rates each year for the most part.

6. CarlHungus

CarlHungus Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Ankeny
    I used to think DirecTV is the way to go, but it seems like Dish has the better sports options. I don't think you can go wrong with either

7. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    If you don't nfl ticket dish is ok. Otherwise switch every two years.

8. veteran4cy

veteran4cy Member

Nov 14, 2012
    Ankeny
    I have direct for 7 years and pay 105 for 3 receivers no hd and no dvr. I have been told by many people that the way to go is to switch carrier every two years to keep your bills down and get the best deals.

9. boone7247

boone7247 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Male
    CPA
    Near the City
    I am coming up on my two year anniversary with dtv. Rate is going to go up. Per an installer I know they don't want to lose customers, he said to negotiate. So I will give dtv a chance otherwise I will be going dish or comcast. Depending on who is offering the better deal.

Dtv interface is okay, but some times my genie acts up. It won't record a show I tell it to, it moves slower than dirt, just little thing over all it isn't bad. I will say I would have a hard time giving up Sunday ticket, but if I can't get the down I will move to a different provider.

10. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    I'm pretty sure you can get nfl ticket online this year. Not as convenient as on direct but still available.

11. demoncore1031

demoncore1031 Well-Known Member

I had Dish Network for years and never had any complaints... DirecTv on the other hand is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. My bill is different every month and is quite a bit more than the price I was quoted. The HD box in my bedroom overheats if I don't have a fan on it. The box in the living room says "searching for signal" at least 5 times a day and I don't even watch that TV all that much. I have to hit the little red button to reset the receiver. It will also change channels on me by itself. The rude people in customer service keep telling me that I would have to pay to have someone come out to fix it. BS!! Once football season is over, I'm switching to DISH.

12. kingcy

kingcy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Male
    Farm
    Menlo, Iowa
    If you want your rates not to change Direct is not the way to go. Few bucks here few bucks there and then I wonder why the hell I pay so much.

Just tell them you want to cancel, give them 2 weeks to disconnect and all of sudden they come up with a better deal for you.

Networks and Cable are going to kill themselves. The constant rate hikes for a pile of stations and shows not many watch it going to come back bite them in the next few years. It is becoming harder and harder to pay high bills for only a few shows or networks.

13. HoopsTournament

HoopsTournament Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Male
    Consulting Actuary
    St. Joseph, MO
    I have Dish. First got it because of superstations. Kept it because of the fact that I could back up recordings to a hard drive. I have over 500 movies recorded on hard drives. If I ever switched, I would lose those. They have me hooked.

14. shawn_200m

shawn_200m Active Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Scientist
    Tipton, IA
    I had Directv for a long time and just switched to Dish about 2 months ago when Directv refused to negotiate with me. So far I am impressed. The DVR is much better than Directv's, faster, easier to use. The on-demand selection is really good and the DishAnywhere App lets you watch live tv plus anything on your DVR from a mobile device or computer with a wifi connection. Its also nice to have Longhorn network, Pac 12 network and WatchESPN access included.

15. Clonehomer

Clonehomer Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Dish does have the LHN for the ISU football game. Don't know if you're a cyclones.tv subscriber, but if not this may be important to you.

16. SCarolinaCy

SCarolinaCy Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    I have had Direct TV for several years, after continuing problems with cable. I have HD and two TV. SO FAR, the sports pack ESPN and Fox Sports has been very good for ISU/college sports. Don't figure to save any money. One thing I do like is that you can call and change channels/packages to lower price every month if you want, with no charge. Make sure the wife/ neighborhood is happy where the dish is going to be located.

17. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    We have DTV with absolutely no complaints other than price. Maybe we are the minority but we have never had an issue with the billing or equipment.

18. peteypie

peteypie Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007
    I don't have problems with DirectTV either. The rates creep up, but just call them up, tell them they are too expensive, and they will lower your bill.

I tried to do that with Dish Network, they said they couldn't negotiate, so I cancelled and called Direct TV. 5 minutes later I got a call back from Dish offering me a better deal. I told them it was too late, all I wanted was a better deal the first time I was on the phone with them.

19. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Flip a coin. Dish does a good job of marketing that they are the better deal, but DTV's ecosystem blows them out of the water. I have Dish currently and have had DTV in the past as a disclaimer, I like both.

20. sunnysideup

sunnysideup Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Accountant
    The Metro
    I've been a DirecTV subscriber for about eight years and I'm about ready to pull the trigger to go to Dish. I don't need the NFL Sunday Ticket package and Dish seems a hell of a lot cheaper for the stuff you get plus if I wanted to stay and upgrade to the Genie I would have to pay full cost where as if I go to Dish I get the Hopper for free.

Plus like somebody else above said, every two years I can just jump back and forth between the two and take advantage of the state fair deals and such.