Cooke update- he's a Cyclone!

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by CurvedAir, May 7, 2014.

1. CurvedAir

CurvedAir Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Kansas City
    #1 CurvedAir, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. cyguytillidie

cyguytillidie Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Des Moines
    Re: Cooke update

I was thinking it was St. John's not St. Joe's. That's a bit of a relief. Think we're definitely the favorites at this point. Hard to imagine too many transfers wanting to go to Dayton. Gotta think Miller will be looking for greener pastures in the near future.

3. MaccloNe

MaccloNe Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    IT

Dad found Focustown. No distractions. I guess it wasn't all about digitty duece wanting tweets.

4. peteypie

peteypie Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2007

I think he will find after those two visits we are better in almost every way especially facilities.

5. IAStubborn

IAStubborn Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Keokuk

As reported here, the entire family visited Iowa State this past weekend and Rob said the visit went well.

“We really liked it,â€￾ Rob said. “Great town. No distractions. Twenty-four access to the gym so that was definitely a very nice trip. It was quite enjoyable.â€￾

Focustown

6. BallSoHard4Cy

BallSoHard4Cy Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Des Moines

Get Kane's mom on the phone with that dad

7. Guetterdone1

Guetterdone1 Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Student ME
    Ames

That last quote was my favorite. "Just realize you have two more visits left" I think Cooke might have said something to his dad and his dad told him to slow down a bit.

8. Skidoosh

Skidoosh Active Member

May 27, 2012

Dunno why people got upset he didn't immediately sign. He specifically said he wasn't going to do that, and was going to take his time and think through his decision (like he didn't do for Oregon state).

9. MaccloNe

MaccloNe Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    IT

Because we are the obvious choice???

10. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Even if that is true, after making a mistake the first time he needs time to see that for himself.

11. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land

We're spoiled by Hoiball now. Outside of ISU I've always preferred NBA basketball…I find myself for the first time ever wishing my NBA team could execute offensively as well as my college team usually does.

12. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2006

I wouldn't sleep on St. Joes. Obviously, I think we are sitting in really good shape here, but being from St. Anthony's High School, I wouldn't count out St. Joes either. He may want to go back out east and be closer to home again.

I would really be surprised if he choose Dayton. I think we're his best choice, obviously, but if he's at all interested in being closer to home, St. Joes would have a shot.

13. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager

Mar 29, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny

Is this guy the real deal? Was he heavily recruited out of highschool? Seems like people are pretty pumped about him, but his stats didn't blow me away. Seems solid, but is he a star?

14. Knownothing

Knownothing Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2006

We get pumped about all recruits. We even talked ourselves into Mike Evanovich being a great under the radar recruit.

15. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2006

I was going to ask the exact same thing, but figured I'd get ripped for not being drunk on the kool aid.

To tell you the truth, when I watch some of his videos, I see Sherron Dorsey-Walker. Which isn't a bad thing, it just is what it is. If that's what people are expecting, then fine, but if they are expecting something more than that, then their expectations might be a little high.

He wasn't that highly recruited out of high school. He was a 3 star. Had offers from schools like Oregon State, Penn State, St. Joe's, etc. No bigger named basketball schools.

He's become VERY intriguing though because he shot 45% from 3 last year. Took 90 3's last year, so he put quite a few of them up too. So the kid can shoot. So that alone gives him a great chance in Fred's offense.

I think he's worth the scholly, because he's already proven he can shoot at the college level, but he is pretty slight and only averaged 8 pts, 2 rebs, and 2 assists per game at Oregon State. Dorsey-Walker could have easily averaged that playing at Oregon State IMO.

I think Cooke is a quality player that will do well here, so you definitely should take him. He just might not be the next DeAndre Kane, that's all. But not many are.

16. BallSoHard4Cy

BallSoHard4Cy Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Des Moines

if he can produce the way McGee did for 3 years coming off the bench, I still would take that. There's no reason to not want this kid. Where's the baggage?

17. bozclone

bozclone Active Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Engr
    Indiana

Remember, he was only a freshman at OSU. Seems like a solid young player who could flourish with a redshirt year and then 3 more at Iowa State.

One of the reasons he stated he was leaving OSU was because he wanted to be a part of the NCAA tourney and he didn't see that happening at OSU. While Dayton and St Joe's were both tourney teams, they are both in the A-10 which isn't exactly the same as the PAC 12 or Big 12. It seemed to me that he was wanting to move to a bigger and better program and if that is true we should have the advantage.

18. bigdaddykane

bigdaddykane Active Member

Mar 3, 2014

yeah i really think he is ours

19. clone4life82

clone4life82 Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Enginerd
    Ankeny

Comparing our current and future players to Mcgee is a problem and unfair to the players that are getting compared to him. The guy was lights out as a 3 pt shooter with a hand in his face and time running down on the clock (let alone when he was open and there was no pressure). We were blessed to have him on the team.

20. Cyclonin

Cyclonin Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Dallas, TX

I think you are right when you say people are very excited about a 45% 3 pt shooter with 3 years to play under Fred.

That's what excites me. His PG stats are pretty good for a true Freshman. And he contributed beyond just the deep ball too, so it makes me excited that he has 3 years left and put up 8, 3, and 2 or whatever as a freshman. Usually guys that put up numbers similar to that end up being a very good player.