Chances of landing Raridon

Discussion in 'Football' started by 88clone, Aug 1, 2014.

1. 88clone

88clone Member

Feb 3, 2014
    None
    West Des Moines
    I just saw the ESPN 300 for the class of 2016, and saw that John Raridon of WDM Valley is ranked #69. I really don't know anything about him. Anyone know what our chances are of landing him?

He's the top player in the state in that class, so doesn't that mean we're automatic? :wink:

2. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    He has brothers who went to, what, Notre Dame and Wisconsin? And his dad was from Mason City, played for Barry Alvarez there, and went to Nebby. So, unless we have a big turnaround season this year, I don't think we have a huge shot at landing him.

To be honest, the guy I'm keeping my eye on is Matt Farniok. Perfect spot to sign him.

3. 88clone

88clone Member

Feb 3, 2014
    None
    West Des Moines
    OK, thanks. Didn't know any background info on him. You're right, doesn't sound good if he has family ties elsewhere.

4. 88clone

88clone Member

Feb 3, 2014
    None
    West Des Moines
    Farniok is 188 in the top 300. Would be a great get!

5. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    I played with his older brother Scott. I don't remember a whole lot of loyalty much to either Iowa school, so if he's the same, chances are if a big boy comes knocking, I'd have to think there's not much tying him to the state through loyalty.

6. RoseBowlBound

RoseBowlBound Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Iowa City via WDM
    He'll be a husker, hawkeye, sooner, or golden domer. Would bet a lot on one of those four. That doesn't narrow it down much but that's just what I hear from West Des Moines.

7. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager

Mar 29, 2006
    Structural Engineer
    Ankeny
    Never know unless you try!

8. no2cyclones

no2cyclones Mariner Moose

Nov 27, 2006
    Male
    Physical Therapist
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    This brings about the age old question of what would you do in their shoes? Would you stay loyal to the local program or go to one of the "blue bloods" of college football?

And on a smaller scale, which doesn't really apply in this case, if you were a fringe Division I talent, would you walk-on to the state school, knowing you probably wouldn't play much, or go D-II or D-III knowing that you'd get a lot of playing time?

9. ronandkay

ronandkay Member

Jul 26, 2014
    Depends if that D1 school is IOWA STATE? :rolleyes:

10. no2cyclones

no2cyclones Mariner Moose

Nov 27, 2006
    Male
    Physical Therapist
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I actually ask it because a guy from my hometown went to Iowa State as a preferred walk-on. He ended up earning a scholarship for his senior year, but it still leaves much to the imagination of what kind of playing time and exposure he could have gotten at a smaller school.

11. BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC Active Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Superintendent
    Des Moines
    If it were me, I'd go else where. I love ISU, but if I had a chance to go anywhere in the country for free, I'd probably find somewhere else besides Ames Ia.

12. IAStubborn

IAStubborn Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Keokuk
    As someone who had a Scholly from a small school and took it and wasn't recruited as a Walk on from the big boys, if I were I would have done that in a heart beat. Oh and If me in his shoes i would stay loyal, but I have a loyalty to begin with.

13. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa
    Thanks for your perspective, If it were me I would take the scholly and never look back...Its nice to play division one football but that scholly means a lot.

I had a friend of mine who only got 2 offers, one from Drake and the other one from Kansas and he took the KU offer and played four years....

14. WallenIzBallin

WallenIzBallin Active Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Male
    Ames
    Clifford Kwaw-Mensah did exactly this. Walked on at ISU for not much playing time. Had full rides to Grand View and Southern Illinois.

15. CTTB78

CTTB78 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2006
    I could see ND or OU, but why would the kid consider the other two?

16. CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Raridon sounds like a Pokemon name.

17. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    His dad played at Nebraska. I don't know why Iowa is included in the list though.

18. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Is he even on campus yet?

19. J-Diggy

J-Diggy Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    My son goes to Valley. He says Rairdon is ND's to lose. If they offer supposedly he will commit. I guess he already has an OU offer in hand.

20. Aclone

Aclone Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Des Moines, Ia.
    I am assuming because his dad went to Nebraska--and Iowa puts out NFL linemen.

Another reason to get more Cyclones drafted the next couple of years.