BYU and Sunday Competitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
So I've heard the argument about BYU and their refusal to play on Sundays as a contributing factor to adding them. So I went and looked at every sports 15/16 schedule to see how many sports would be affected by this. Note, I didn't list Golf because they only have one big 12 competition (which is on a Friday). Listed is the amount of In-Conference games/matches that were on a Sunday per team. I also listed the amount of non conference events in parenthesis that were played on Sunday.

Mens:
Basketball - 0 (1 non-con)
Cross Country - 0
Football - 0
Track - 0 (1 non-con event)
Wrestling - 2 (3 non-con meets)

So for the men, wrestling would be the only sport that could be affected by BYU's Sunday rule. But as stated above, BYU wrestling is not a varsity sport. They have a club team, but i'm not sure if they would pursue it as a varsity sport if they joined.

Women:
Volleyball - 0 (1 non-con)
Tennis - 4 (5 non-con)
Swimming and Diving - 0 (1 non-con)
Basketball - 1 (6 non-con)
Cross Country - 0
Gymnastics - 0 (1 non-con)
Soccer - 2 (5 non-con)
Softball - 5 (5 non-con)

The women would be most affected by BYU's rule. 12 events were played on Sunday's this year. with Softball being most affected as they had multiple Fri, Sat, Sun matchups.

In my opinion, the BYU Sunday rule would have little bearing on decision to include them or not. Travel distances... that could be another story.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
It would effect our Men's bball tourney so it would have to finish on Saturday before Selection Sunday.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
This whole Sunday thing seems like weak sauce to me anyways. There's a dozen other reasons we wouldn't want BYU besides the Sunday thing. :spinny:

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
It's pretty simple BYU: if you want to join the Big 12, you need to be available seven days a week. If you can't do that, it was nice of you to stop by.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
4cGqE.png

^BYU & Big 12^

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I do not want Night games in November for football. Kills our attendance. It is cold. If BYU can dictate times that it can not play, then why can't Iowa State?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
What would happen if in a job interview I told my potential employer, look, this job is a great fit. I offer your company a lot and I want to work here. Financially, it works for both of us, too. But I can't work Fridays, sorry.

Would you expect an offer? I didn't think so.

Let's add Cincy, Memphis, Houston and either Colorado or Colorado St (decided via a Mad Max Thunderdome competition)

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
What would happen if in a job interview I told my potential employer, look, this job is a great fit. I offer your company a lot and I want to work here. Financially, it works for both of us, too. But I can't work Fridays, sorry.

Let's add Cincy, Memphis, Houston and either Colorado or Colorado St (decided via a Mad Max Thunderdome competition)

If you were the best candidate for a job. If you could provide the amount of revenue and exposure for your company like BYU could for Big 12. If you had the experience & industry recognition. If you were a top candidate at a top company. You probably could.

But could I do that? No, I'm like the University of South Dakota of my industry. So I couldn't do that.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If you were the best candidate for a job. If you could provide the amount of revenue and exposure for your company like BYU could for Big 12. If you had the experience & industry recognition. If you were a top candidate at a top company. You probably could.

But could I do that? No, I'm like the University of South Dakota of my industry. So I couldn't do that.

Revenue for football at BYU is worth $6 million per year.

I don't think that BYU adds as much exposure and revenue as you think. Tailgating would absolutely suck at BYU for ISU fans taking a road trip.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

If pretty much everyone else in the company was also not working on Friday, I dont see why this would be a big deal?

Cyballz

Aug 20, 2009
I do not want Night games in November for football. Kills our attendance. It is cold. If BYU can dictate times that it can not play, then why can't Iowa State?

Because Jesus didn't come down in a helicpoter 150 years ago and give some weird white dude a bunch of gold tablets that said thou shalt not play night games....or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron