Biggest improvement over prior Hoiberg teams...

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by CloneJob, Mar 19, 2014.

1. CloneJob

CloneJob Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Ankeny
    It seems to me that one of the biggest improvements this year is the fact that this team can handle an off shooting night much better than prior Hoiberg teams. If shots are not falling, Fred makes quick adjustments to balance the attack. In many cases, once we start scoring in the post the shooting touch has come back. It also helps having several players that move well under the bucket.

I think this change gives us the opportunity for a deep run.

2. erikbj

erikbj Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2006
    compliance officer
    hiawatha, ia
    But if they get hot............they are basically unbeatable. Need to see more of the 8/10 from 3 land like we did in the last 30 minutes of the Baylor game.

3. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    That and defense. Niang has been a lot smarter about picking up fouls. There have been a few exceptions but last year it was the norm for him to get in early foul trouble. He still gets a lot of fouls but they're more playing hard and smart fouls than silly ones like last year.

We're better on D now than we were a month ago. The way we had Monte shadowing Heslip, then when Cherry was killing us we clearly challenged Kane to shut him down and he did big time.

4. CloneJob

CloneJob Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Ankeny
    Getting hot on the right night gives us the opportunity to get to the Final Four or beyond. (In contrast to "First Four")

• Like Like x 1
  5. Triggermv

Triggermv Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Energy Trader
    Marion, IA
    Lets not forget that we are playing better defense overall this year as well. This also helps us weather poor shooting performances. The Baylor game is the perfect example. At the beginning of the game, we couldn't hit a shot to save our life, but the only thing that kept things from getting too out of hands is our good defense during that stretch.

6. cy4prez7

cy4prez7 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Student
    Ames
    I think all of that comes from the mentality of this team. This team appears to be so strong mentally. They're so calm and they don't get flustered even when down 10+. I love it!

7. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Yeah, I noticed several times the last couple weeks Niang and Ejim knowing when you are better off letting them get the bucket vs. cheap foul.

And yeah, Morris and Hogue are great on D..heck, so is Naz.

8. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    Better on defense, well rounded, have more than one guy who can take over if needed, unselfish, can penetrate and score in the paint instead of just three pointers. Oh and clutch(Naz).

9. cyrocksmypants

cyrocksmypants Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Being Totally Awesome
    Honolulu, HI
    I think one thing we look past is that this is only Fred's fourth year coaching. On ANY level. He's still learning the job. We just forget it because of such an amazing turnaround he's had so quickly, but he's getting better and better every year. The ceiling on his ability in coaching is unimaginable.

10. cycloneted

cycloneted Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Des Moines
    I agree with defense. I also think we have fewer wasted possessions this year than we have in the past, mainly due to fewer turn overs.*

*this excludes Deandre Kane end of half/game situations!

11. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Doubling down on the big guys has really saved Niang and Ejim a bunch of fouls this year. I'm guessing Doc had something to do with that. Also, all the practices MM has had to go against DK has sure helped his defense.

12. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Agree totally. I think his game management is pretty stellar (a lot of that is to not panic if a team goes on a run and understand that he has time to chip away at the lead....like the Baylor game). I read an article about his "book of plays" that he maintains and has his coaches pull from clips he sees from NBA teams for various situations. That play he ran with like .5 on the clock before the half in the Big 12 tourney (Georges missed the bunny...appeared he went quick to avoid the buzzer) was perfect.

13. CapnCy

CapnCy Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Yep. That's what makes me nervous and gets me excited. Last week we were able to grind out wins (the first half of the baylor game I was about sick how we were NOT hot)....but if we get a night where we are getting the 50/50 balls, hitting our shots, and playing smart, we could beat anyone.....but as you know in tourney time, another team does the same thing and you could lose to an inferior team. Just hope Ejim and Kane especially can continue to play controlled ball with the passion of the "could be last college game."

14. Bobber

Bobber Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Management/Sales
    Hudson, Iowa
    Offensively I'm not sure we are better than last year or when Royce White was in town. Our 3 point average isn't stellar and neither is free throws. Defense I think is the main difference. We're playing that a lot better than we were and defense is what wins championships.

15. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    I think as well, previous years teams were pretty much set to play their game. If ISU was allowed to play their game, it was a good night for ISU. On the other hand, if teams were able to dictate tempo, it was almost assured ISU would get beat. This team just seems better to adjusting to what's available this year.

Granted, some nights were better than others, but other than the WVU game, I don't remember watching a game I thought for sure ISU had no chance. Well, maybe the UNI game when they were down by 18, but even then, they proved they can adjust and get on the right side. They seem to have a strong, don't quit attitude, even though a lot of the times, the fans do.

(yes, I still have it marked from the OK St. game when a poster on here said we wouldn't win another game this year) Thank god the players don't think like us fans.

16. intrepid27

intrepid27 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Executive Recruiter - Ag
    Marion, IA
    Much tougher mentally than previous teams. I'll give Kane a lot of credit for that. Plays with attitude. Toughest player Hoiberg has had thus far.

17. ThurgoodMarshal

ThurgoodMarshal Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Logistics Coordinator
    Ankeny, IA
    Hoiberg's "weather the storm'' mentality has been a huge confidence booster even when the team gets of to a sluggish start or struggle shooting the ball. I also feel like the improved defense leads to improvements in all other areas of the game.

18. CornFedIABoy

CornFedIABoy Member

Jan 8, 2014
    One of the things I'm most impressed with Fred for is his willingness to listen and learn. Hiring in Doc Sadler is an example. I think we'll continue to see him bring in "emeritus" head coaches to spend a year or two mentoring him.

19. greatshu

greatshu Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2007
    KS
    We don't take any mid-range jumper.

20. CyCloned

CyCloned Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Robins, Iowa
    The hire of Doc S. was incredibly well timed, because this year's team would not have made the NIT if they played as poorly on defense as last years. Offensively this teams is good, but without a consistent outside shooter teams collapsed on D to stop Kane from driving and took their chances with the outside shots. Good defense got the Clones through some of those ugly shooting games. If GN could get his 3 pt shot back, this team would be scary good.