Big 12 Publicly Reprimands Rhoads

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can ISU respond with some sort of statement that we disagree with all these BS Texa$ Longhorn statements and agree with the entire national media that the Big 12 is wrong?

sngorman

Dec 20, 2006
LA CA
Oh no a public reprimand, whats next double secret probation??? I wish they had fined him so we could have had a nation wide fund raiser for something that 80% of this country agrees on... IT WAS A FUMBLE AND WE GOT SCREWED!!!

To me this statement is the Texas 10 I mean Big 12 saying "Yeah, that was a bad call so we're going to slap you on the wrist for it"

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
If they hadn't have issued the reprimand, it would've insinuated that Rhoads was justified in his rant-n-roll. However, by issuing the reprimand it absolved the Big12 of any responsibility for the Thursday night debacle, therefore, it also absolved them of needing to make any apologies.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
A smart Texas fan knows it is not a good thing if the nation sees the Big 12 as a college sports version of the WWE...and the perception is definitely trending that way.

Basically the Southwest Conference, Part 2 (unfortunately).

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I feel like coaches should be able to comment on officials and their calls as much as they want, as long as they keep it on business, and dont make it personal. "That was a horrible call by Joe Ref" is different from "Joe ref is an ******* who i hope crashes on the way out of town". To quote Dan Hawkins, this is the big 12, its division 1 football, it isnt intramurals. These refs are paid, and should be accountable for their work, and not just by fellow refs who are always going to lean towards siding with another ref.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Here's the deal...I didn't hear Rhoads once mention the officiating or the refs specifically. So, legitimately, "to have it taken away from them" could have been by a bad play, a stroke of fate, an act of God...

By issuing a reprimand to Rhoads, the Big XII is actually admitting that the refs were to blame, even though the rules say that the coach can't publicly criticize them.

That said, it is a travesty that Davis didn't get charged with assault. If the Big XII isn't concerned with sportsmanship or a deliberate attack on an individual, then the law should be.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Considering there was a non-fumble called a fumble -- which may or may not have cost KSU a win down in Stillwater -- and a fumble called a non-fumble which DID cost ISU a win over Texas, I would say the Big 12's refs and replay system has bigger problems than writing out meaningless reprimands defending its referees.

Davis not being suspended is the biggest travisty.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Davis isn't suspended because they want full strength teams for the league's "premier" match-up.

Looking the other way on a blatant cheap-shot is way more chicken poop than a so-called reprimand.

Last edited:

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
@#$% that thinking. With this attitude, you are thinking just like the Big 12 conference officials. We pay you good money to take that @#$% job. So take it and be a good little subordinate. I would much rather be in a smaller conference with less pay and our players and coaches get a fair shake.

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
Here's the deal...I didn't hear Rhoads once mention the officiating or the refs specifically. So, legitimately, "to have it taken away from them" could have been by a bad play, a stroke of fate, an act of God...

By issuing a reprimand to Rhoads, the Big XII is actually admitting that the refs were to blame, even though the rules say that the coach can't publicly criticize them.

That said, it is a travesty that Davis didn't get charged with assault. If the Big XII isn't concerned with sportsmanship or a deliberate attack on an individual, then the law should be.

I'd say that the reprimand to Rhoads without fining him is what pretty much admits guilt and saying the refs screwed up and he was right in saying it. Didn't Mangino get fined a few years ago for saying Texas beat them because of the BCS? I wonder if Rhoads would've taken it a little bit further if they would've issued one to him as well but since he only stuck to making a comment about the refs they let it go

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Sorry I was trying to tie into a quote made by rundmcy about we should just take the money from the Big 12 because they pay us a lot of money.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Think any other schools want to come to the new SWAC after this week?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
"It's unfortunate the game had to come down to a judgment call like that," Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian said. "That part was unfortunate because it was two good football teams battling and competing with one another and I wish the game would have got won on the field and not in the booth upstairs with some guy that didn't get to feel the emotion in the hard-fought football game that game was."

Didn't see the end of the game. This quote was the first thing I saw this morning. He's certainly more specific than CPR was. I wonder if there will be any fallout to HIS remarks?

Any guesses?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No fine = Big 12's gutless way of saying CPR was right.

No suspension = Big 12's gutless way of saying "Mike Davis plays at Texas."

One last one:

Reprimand of Chris Williams = Big 12's gutless way of saying "A small fan site is speaking truths hitting too close to home and, since we can't do anything about what the national media is saying (which will fade away in a few weeks anyway), we'll silence these guys."

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Conference rules that prohibit coaches, student-athletes, athletic department staff and university personnel from making public comments about game officials,â€￾

What did he say about game officials? He inferred that something was taken away from his players by someone but never said the refs were bad or the reason directly. I thought he danced around that rule all the while being as passionate and classy in a rant the whole world knew what he was talking about. Fact is if the refs are that bad you don't need to say it directly, everyone knows, that isn't his fault. This ticks me off. Gotta keep Boss Deloss happy though.

The rule specifically states that both direct and indirect references to the officiating are not allowed.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The Big 12's message is clear. Any player on a team opposing Texas gets one free shot to end a player's career by taking out his knees. First target is Mike Davis. After he is injured simply say that you were taught to "play to the whistle". Mack Brown will defend your actions.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
More great press on this on ESPN-U just now. All of the commentators are ragging the reprimand and our stolen game. "There's always a reprimand for the coaches. But what's the reprimand when the officials don't get it right?" As bad as it stings it's definitely made us a sympathetic character in the story line.

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
The reprimand on Davis. Does this set a president? I mean, after scoring a TD, can offensive players not involved in the play take a shot at defensive players and only suffer a 15 yard penalty on kickoff and a reprimand with threat of future action if it is repeated? Think if a team's 4 wideouts did just that after the first TD scored in a game. Potentially, the whole starting secondary could be injured with only 1 penalty imposed.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I haven't heard anyone address this aspect of the Mike Davis cheap shot. There is another receiver in the end zone going after a receiver at the same time. He doesn't take such a terrible cheap shot, but both were unnecessary since the play was over. I wonder if there was a pattern through the game. If so, then it isn't just a problem with a single player, but with the program. Still can't believe how vigorously Mack Brown defended this guy.