Big 12 Expansion

Discussion in 'Football' started by LincolnWay187, Oct 29, 2012.

1. LincolnWay187

LincolnWay187 Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Seeing how competitive the Big 12 is now, would you like to see us add a few schools to round out the league? I have heard a lot of people say they are happy with how things are, especially money wise. HOWEVER, look at that Iowa Hawkeyes schedule and tell me you wouldn't kill for a few more cupcake games.

2. alarson

alarson Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Advertising sales
    Ankeny
    Problem is there are few teams that would make things easier that are both available and yet good enough brands that it wouldnt be a big pay cut.

The real killer is the 9 game schedule, but that doesnt seem to be going away even if we expand.

3. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    It wont happen because for financial reasons, and sadly money is the only thing that drives this. But from a football and competitive standpoint 12 teams would be the best thing for us.

4. Sloup

Sloup Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Ames, IA
    I

LOVE

the round-robin schedule. It offers the fairest possible conference title format in both football and basketball. The resulting television product is attractive to broadcast, but TV companies don't have to feed 12, 14, or maybe 16 mouths. I think in time we'll see a tighter sense of community amongst the schools, both in competition against each other (loving to hate each other) and in competition against other conferences.

I know people want to see a title game and divisions, but I don't know that they're worth it. The revenue increase would have to be particularly substantial to make expansion worth it in my mind, like Notre Dame and Florida State.

Or (for the sake of argument) it would have to involve significant rivalry implications within the conference like Nebraska - Iowa or Penn State - Pittsburgh. For obvious reasons, this will never happen.

5. Louisville and Cincinnati create a pathway to West Virginia. That way we can go back to north/south... if we could be so lucky.

6. Frak

Frak Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I'd be all for adding Louisville and Pitt. Or FSU and Clemson. Even Louisville and BYU. Even if the money is a little lower, I'd like to get to 12. Stability and being clearly better than the ACC would be a big plus.

7. whirlybirds

whirlybirds Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Knoxville, IA
    I would love to have Colorado back on the schedule.

8. iacyguy

iacyguy Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Dirty Dodge
    same with nebraska. i enjoy hating them

9. weR138

weR138 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    If we're not going to expand we have to change our name. Big 12 with 10 teams is ****ing stupid.

10. im4cyclones

im4cyclones Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ames, IA
    Why is stability better with 12? We had 12 and were not stable. The number doesn't make it stable, economic viability and a sense of belonging do. I think we have that with 10.

11. dinger

dinger Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Dallas, TX
    YES!

12. xr4ticlone

xr4ticlone Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    We are stable now.

Dont want to add scrubs.

Like playing everyone.

We will have same number of conf games no matter how many teams due to tv money...so no change there.

stay like we are.

13. longtimeclone

longtimeclone Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Up north
    Completely agree with the way the new contracts have been written we are a pretty stable league.

14. 2020cy

2020cy Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    I feel like I've been here before. Weird.

15. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    90% of the time the BCS computer average is higher than human voting polls for Big 12 teams.

Human beings are not intelligent and objective enough to give the Big 12 credit for playing the toughest schedules in the nation. Every Big 12 team is being penalized for it. There is a highly ranked SEC team with a 98 SOS rank yet the idiot human voter perception is that SEC schedules are all brutal.

If money is king, fine. But it's a fact that this current mix of teams and playing 9 games hurts the Big 12 competitively in football. For hoops there's no drawback at all though.

The hilarious thing is you still hear Big 12 fans complain about the computer 1/3 of the BCS like all other college football fans. Big 12 fans should want a 100% computer BCS ranking. It's the only way we won't be bent over and raped by the rankings every single year.

16. hawkeyeh8r

hawkeyeh8r Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Ames
    enough with these stupid threads

17. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    If we add teams, it isn't going to be cupcakes. The Big 12 would only add teams that add value to the conference and that means it would be a known football school. 9 game conference schedule is here to stay, so it would probably just make our schedule tougher. IMO, the only reason we would expand at all, is if the TV contracts dictated we needed more games. Since we just signed new ones, I'm pretty sure things are set, unless some power house schools comes begging to join.

18. Let's Go State

Let's Go State Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Far Western Iowa
    If we want cupcakes we would have to downgrade ourselves to the big 10. No thank you.

19. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    I think there's a chance Baylor, TCU, KU and unfortunately ISU and KSU all become average to bad looking at things historically. Baylor's 0-4 in conference but they'd have a winning record in any other league besides the SEC with their offense. I think it may just be chance that the league has had 90% good teams for two straight years now.

A league with 5 good teams and 5 average to bad teams isn't so brutal and the calls to add beatable teams would go down, the computer rankings won't always be higher than every voter poll with that mix like they are now. I'm not saying I want ISU to be one of the bad teams, but when the league goes 33-4 non conference or whatever it was last year (and looks to be headed for this year depending on bowl matchups), good teams beat each other up and voters are idiots who just look at brands and records. I'm sure WVU and TCU would still be ranked in their old leagues, you're not rewarded in the slightest for your schedule unless you're a top 5 team trying to make the NC game.

20. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    Just say RRR

Round Robin Rules