Basketball (W): "Mic'd Up" With Bill Fennelly

Discussion in 'Women's Basketball' started by BoxsterCy, Jul 18, 2014.

1. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Project Manager
    Minnesota
  2. 907CY

907CY Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Male
    retired
    Northern Polk County
    great video... it really shows how good of a coach BF is and how much he cares about his players. It made me want the season to start tomorrow. Go Cyclones.

3. CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA
    #3 CycloneRulzzz, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
    good stuff.

4. BoxsterCy

Sep 14, 2009
    Project Manager
    Minnesota

Might have something to do with the Italy trip, think they get practices for that?

• Like Like x 1
  5. CycloneRulzzz

Jul 14, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA

Your right forgot wbb had an overseas trip.

6. 907CY

907CY Active Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Male
    retired
    Northern Polk County
    Those 10 extra practices and several games that we will play in Italy will help the Fab Five get with the Cyclone program. It should be a big help for the upcoming season. I hope we at least get box scores from those games in Italy.

7. BoxsterCy

Sep 14, 2009
    Project Manager
    Minnesota
    The timing is ideal with five freshman coming in, particularly considering they are pretty highly regarded and some will be needed in the lineup right away. Excellent chance for the freshman bigs and Jensen to see some court time. Cyclone.com had a story earlier that Baier was cleared to practice, does that mean she is okay to actually play in those Europe games?

8. StClone

StClone Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Wisconsin
    The video captures the intensity that is is likely common to all successful programs. Brynn will be a great Senior representative along with Nikki. Practice, practice, practice! Then does it get any better than Italy, before you ever have class at ISU, for the five frosh?

9. Royalclone

Royalclone Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Unless your name is Ashley Arlen and you don't like flying.

10. CycloneRulzzz

Jul 14, 2008
    Male
    Nevada, IA

Some of best ISU BF players never got this kind of trip.

11. acoustimac

acoustimac Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Associate Professor
    Lamoni, IA
    We all know that Coach Fen is intense. I particularly liked the sign he mentioned - good players want to be coached hard...average players are hard to coach (paraphrasing). That says it all.

12. StClone

StClone Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That was one catchy phrase. And, is it ironic or coincidental for Rosie Gambino to miss out on a trip to Italy?

13. EHdakota

EHdakota Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Accountant
    Sioux Falls
    Is it possible to coach hard without calling your players every vulgar name they can think of? Or to yell in their face until they start to cry?

I hope he has stopped those low class methods. Having a friend of a current player commit seems to indicate that he has. Maybe the locker room is supervised, or a new medication perhaps?

Any player wants to be treated with more respect than a stray dog that has destroyed a garden. Even the dog would have some protection by the laws

14. VaClone

VaClone New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    EHdakota,
    Is it possible for you to post anything positive about Iowa State Women's basketball and Coach Fennelly? I am not sure why you keep returning when you are obviously not a true fan of either!

15. cyclone13

cyclone13 Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    +1
    If BF has been that abusive, in this social media era, there would have been huge uproar.
    If he has been that abusive, we won't see Chelsea Poppens, Brittany Wilkins returning to Ames and seeing BF.

16. JT88

JT88 Member

Oct 7, 2009
  17. acoustimac

acoustimac Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Associate Professor
    Lamoni, IA
    Somehow I new Dakota would show up in this thread. Sigh....some things never change...

18. StClone

StClone Active Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Wisconsin
    My assumption is stories of Bill's coaching horrors are over-dramatized if not melodramatic. With Bill what you see is what you get and his style is not too dissimilar from other highly successful coaches.

Many players love BF, a few are intimidated (at first) of him, and some fall into the "average players are hard to coach" category. And when the average player doesn't live up to their dreams (fail) they blame BF and generate rumors to prop their psyche. Mr. Dakota may also be a fan of the smaller college WBB in S. Dakota and thus be a little envious of ISU WBB taking stories to tarnish our reputation.