Baseball Clock

Discussion in 'Pro Sports' started by cyowan, Aug 18, 2014.

?

Should MLB adopt a clock?

1. No, the game is supposed to slow paced

37 vote(s)
    48.7%
  2. Yes, it's too slow

39 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. cyowan

cyowan Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Banking
    Ames, IA
    #1 cyowan, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    With the election of a new commish of baseball I've been hearing more and more about the need to speed up the game and to put a clock (or rather, enforce the current clock) on pitchers and batters. I've had many discussions with friends and all have a differing opinion. Best I can tell, those who love baseball and are die hard fans hate the idea, while those who are casual fans or don't like baseball think it should have a clock. I personally don't like the idea. Baseball is great because there is no clock. It's part of the appeal to me. Just wondering what other people think.

2. cyowan

cyowan Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Banking
    Ames, IA
    Apologies on the grammatical error in the poll. Hit post too quickly.

3. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    I know that speeding up the game has been a cause celebre for a long time, but I don't see the point. Baseball works differently than other sports, and there's nothing wrong with that.

4. ruxCYtable

ruxCYtable Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2007
    I'm not a baseball purist or even really that big of a fan, as will be evidenced by my admittedly idiotic comment below.

I have a friend who umpires a ton of baseball and the subject of speeding up the game came up. He asked me, as an outsider, what I would do.

I said,"Easy. Make the games six innings."

Stupid, I know. Or is it?

5. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    I dont think it needs a clock, but there are some pitchers who are terribly slow. It seems like most are picking up the pace somewhat.

6. Gunnerclone

Gunnerclone Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    #6 Gunnerclone, Aug 18, 2014
    Think they should adopt playing 90 minutes with continuous clock, 3 subs per team, and yellow cards for time wasting.

7. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    grundy center
    I went to an iCubs double header a few weekends back and the games were each 7 innings. That is the perfect length to a game. It's not feasible in the MLB because of the history and stats books so there has to be another way to speed it up.

I'm certainly a baseball fan but the routine between every pitch needs to speed up. Step out of the box, re-velcro batting gloves, step back into box, tap toes, tap home plate, adjust helmet, on and on...

That could be sped up.

8. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    Obviously what's needed is batting gloves without velcro.

9. Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    Really? If that's their argument then baseball fans are total mugs...oh wait.

10. tm3308

tm3308 Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Sportswriter@ Daily Iowan
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    I would be somewhat okay with forcing batters/pitchers to operate within a certain amount of time between pitches, but that's not the same as saying a game can't take more than X-hour:minute.

11. ISUCubswin

ISUCubswin Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    1. Just make in between innings no more than 1 minute long.

2. You can't make a game 6 or 7 innings. It would completely change the complexion of the game. You would only need a 4 man pitching rotation, meaning less pitchers. The closer role would become much less significant, you would just need 2 or 3 good relievers. And complete game shutouts would be too common.

There's no need to speed up the game. It's supposed to be relaxing.

12. Bu4ISU

Bu4ISU Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    FIFA Soccer Referee
    Ames
    honestly just make shorter seasons, baseball should end when preseason football starts

13. ISU42

ISU42 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    By the 7th inning I'm ready to head home from MLB games. Ryen Russillo made a joke the other day about how a batter will come up to bat, adjust his batting gloves, get in the box, and not swing. Gets out of the box and proceeds to adjust everything again. There are ways to cut time so I say make the players adjust.

14. ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    Now if there were only 20 games a season, each game would be much more important than what we see in a 162 game season, meaning a greater audience and more attention throughout the game instead of the first 3 innings.

But I still wouldn't like that.

15. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Why does baseball need to be faster?

16. Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
    Cheddar Production
    DSM
    #16 Gunnerclone, Aug 18, 2014
    Worse than my wife doing her makeup and far worse than soccer players diving or faking injury.

I know no one cares about cricket, but in much the same way as baseball the game is slow and doting. From the original multi-day test series they've spawned one day cricket as well as T20 cricket, which are much faster paced variations of the more classic multiday test cricket. Baseball is going to have to go down this route.

My other greatest baseball idea:

NO EXTRA INNINGS: 3 MAN (3 from each team) 5 BALL HOME RUN DERBY TO DECIDE GAMES

17. cyowan

cyowan Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Banking
    Ames, IA
    I compared this to a basketball player having a routine before he shoots a free throw. Except there's so many other variables in baseball. My guess is while they are adjusting all of those things, they are taking those variables into account. Not just fidgeting for fidgeting's sake.

18. ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
    My Playhouse
    There's a Minor league division that splits the season into halves. Winner of the first half automatically makes the post-season playoffs. That would be interesting because it would force coaches to decide whether they should start resting their players or not.

19. WooClone15

WooClone15 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Student
    The Land of the Deutschen
    I don't like the idea of a clock, but some pitchers are really slow. For me the bigger annoyance is the batters continuously stepping out of the batters box, and the relievers needing x many pitches before they can pitch to a batter. They just warmed up in the bull pen

20. CarolinaCy

CarolinaCy Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Except Nomar Garciaparra. Man I hated watching him at the plate.