"Bad Fans"

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by CurvedAir, Jan 20, 2014.

1. CurvedAir

CurvedAir Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Kansas City
    Hoiberg just called you out in his press conference. You know who you are. Players and coaches read your garbage. Maybe it's time to change your ways.

2. yez

yez Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Maybe it's time they play better. I was at the game on Saturday - all they did was pout when it didn't go their way.

3. Cardinal2001

Cardinal2001 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Programmer
    Ames
    Oh joy, I can't wait to see this.

4. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Fred is right that players who are slumping should just turn it off. Anyone can say anything, and they often do. But the motivation for ending a slump isn't going to be found on a message board or twitter. They have to claw out of it themselves. And dwelling on "bad fans" that every fan base has, doesn't help.

The flip side of it is to not also buy into your own press when everybody is telling you how great you are!

5. Firefighter4Cy

Firefighter4Cy Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Firefighter
    Stuart
    Most of what is posted is pretty legit analysis. Most of it is critique of what people see. If the coaches and players are offended by it: A. Play better or B: Don't read it.

It's a forum board where everything is someone's opinion. We all know about those. They are like *******. Everyone has them and they always stink.

6. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    It's going to be fun.

But I wish people would remember that these players read this stuff and it is a lot harder to ignore than you would think. How many of us think to ourselves that we should ignore the posters that irritate us, but yet keep reading their stuff? Same thing with a 20 year old college kid.

If everyone thinks before they post and ask themselves if they would want their kid reading it, it would be better. It doesn't mean that you can't say Iowa State played bad. Or they are struggling. Or hell even say that Matt is struggling. But it should mean that you should realize that EVERY player is trying their best and that a slump does not mean that the player will forever suck.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ISUTex

ISUTex Active Member

May 25, 2012
    Rural U.S.A.

How about Hoiberg and players stop reading message boards? ?????? They should be spending their time in the classroom, and in practice. Mental toughness. Worry more about that than what a bunch of dorks think on a message board. Disappointed Fred would bring that up.

8. bawbie

bawbie Moderator

Mar 17, 2006
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    What did Fred say? I want an actual quote before saying anything.

9. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Didn't listen, but this can't be a good idea.

10. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Oh for god's sake. They are kids. Staying away from twitter is hard for a college kid to do. I find it disappointing that fans think that they can just avoid social media stuff. And I find it disturbing that fans think that it is OK to tweet crap to an individual player bashing them. That's bush league and childish. Maybe the FANS need to stay off of twitter and message boards as well.

11. cyhawkdmb

cyhawkdmb Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Insurance
    CB
    Cant this be said for you to? Unless your a mod, or your job pays you to be on Fanatic just STFU and GTFO!! Players/Coaches have just as much reason to be on social media and message boards as the losers who call them out!!

12. jsb

jsb Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2008
    What the hell does it matter. He said he told Matt to stay off of twitter since some fans were tweeting bad things to him.

Good advice from Fred and it should be pointed out that people aren't telling ADULT fans to stop bashing players via twitter, but are telling college kids to ignore it when they do.

Pretty damn stupid, if you ask me.

13. Die4Cy

Die4Cy Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Paraphrase of it: The question was in the context of dealing with slumps as players, specifically Matt Thomas. Fred said he told Matt to turn it off because bad fans and fans that aren't even fans of ISU use it to get under their skin.

14. klamath632

klamath632 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2011
    In before "if they can't handle it, they aren't players anyway."

15. jahfg

jahfg Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ames
    I love these types of lines. Dude, these guys are normal human beings. They aren't robots designed for our pleasure as fans. They work their ***** off. That's the only way you get to that level.

16. Cyclonesince78

Cyclonesince78 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2012
    Are we sure they are ISU fans? If they are they are ****ing idiots.

17. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Then it's a smart thing to say. Thanks for the context.

Talking here is one thing. Tweeting it to the player is too much.

18. 3TrueFans

3TrueFans Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Ames
    I think there's a difference between "bad fans" seeking out players to harass them via twitter or whatever and people who come here and are vocally disappointed with team or player performance.

19. fsanford

fsanford Active Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    #19 fsanford, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    You probably should not take comments from people who probably never have competed in sports at a high level too seriously.

If anything they should laugh at it, and make a top 10 list's of the most outlandish comments or something and have fun with it.

I can only imagine what kids are going through at UNC, Kentucky and other places probably 10 times as worse.

Some fans are stupid, really stupid, and if you play sports you have to deal with it. I have seen 12 year old's get called out on the baseball field, fortunately the majority usually shuts up the minority in those situations one way or another.

20. IdahoCyclone

IdahoCyclone Member

Mar 1, 2012
    We gots a link for this press conference?