Anyone remember their college move-in experience?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SCarolinaCy, Aug 14, 2014.

1. SCarolinaCy

SCarolinaCy Active Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    I remember Helser- Furman? House (now torn down-replaced by something new) was overbooked, and I was assigned several days to the open basement army barracks style bunk beds.

My niece said it took her TWO family cars this year to haul everything.

2. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Mine was 5 years ago so yes I remember. Took me about 10 minutes to move in. I was right by the door to Helser.

3. mtowncyclone13

mtowncyclone13 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2012
    grundy center
    I moved into Willow. The elevators were super slow and the place was packed so it took several hours to get everything up to the 8th floor.

4. ISUKing

ISUKing Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Male
    Technical Support
    Ankeny, IA
    My parents moved me up early since I worked for dining services. One of very few times I have caught my dad crying.

5. cmjh10

cmjh10 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Iowa Falls
    State fair one day, then move in the next. Didnt take too long to get moved in.

Did move in crew, seeing how much stuff some college students bring, especially girls, was very eye opening.

6. The_Architect

The_Architect Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Focus Town
    Helser - Woodrow in the house!

7. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    Dads have feelings too. :)

8. ImJustKCClone

ImJustKCClone Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Professional Pongid Pundit
    traipsing thru the treetops
    I was very grateful to be on first floor...I remember that much!

When we moved our son into his dorm at UNI (Bender) he was on the 10th (of 12) floors. Two small elevators. No one below 4th floor was supposed to be using them. Yeah...that didn't get enforced. Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong day - most of it spent waiting in line at the elevator.

9. IAMAIRBHG

IAMAIRBHG Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    runza
    Virgo Supercluster
    Lived in an apt off campus all 4 years at ISU. Moving to Lexington next week. Pops and I are touring Budweiser in STL on the way down. Got an Apt a block from Rupp Arena. Should be a fantastic couple of years!

10. JSmoove

JSmoove Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Male
    Transportation Engineer
    2611 Helser, Louden
    Like it was yesterday. August 16th, 2006. Was a Thursday I believe.

As my location indicates, albeit only in my memories now, I lived in Helser Louden. The move in experience was fairly normal. Luckily I was moving in at the exact same time as my best friend from high school (randomly ended up same floor 3 doors away). Got all the stuff moved in and said goodbye to the rents. During the move in process we noted some pretty attractive girls in Carpenter moving in as well. At the time we had some friends old enough to buy us beer so later that night we invited them down to enjoy our newly acquired heinekens (crazy!). Great story I know, but we thought we were hot **** already with the ins to get beer. Ended up becoming pretty good friends with a lot of the girls in that hall.

I remember for the next couple weeks waking up and feeling like I was at camp. Also the smells in that building will stick with me for the rest of my life.

11. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Worst one was freshman year in Larch. As others have stated the elevator situation was horrible. Damn I don't miss that **** hole.

12. mkadl

mkadl Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Cornfield
    Will move our son into 1st floor of Maple next Tuesday. Next Wednesday I will have memories.

13. BringBackJohnny

Feb 12, 2009
    Student
    Ames
    Moved into fraternity. Unorganized but amazing. The activities the week before school started were the best.

14. mkcrawford

mkcrawford Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Helser Hall - Brown Floor fall of '92. Dad helped move me in. Went to Litzel Lumber for material to build loft. Sawed and drilled in the parking lot. Got loft built in no time. Dad gave it a final shake and said, "that should be sturdy enough, as long as you don't have more than one up there at a time" :wideeyed:

• Like Like x 1
  15. CornFedIABoy

CornFedIABoy Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Took the early move in option so I could get in on Thursday. My mother had meetings in Des Moines so she dropped me and my stuff off on the curb at 7:00a at Lyon hall. Had to wait for the RA to get up and around before I could start moving in. Once in, though, I was thankful for the early start, helping the young ladies carry their stuff is a nifty way to get acquainted...

16. clones26

clones26 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Urbandale
    7th floor Larch guy/girl floor, I moved in early when all the sorority girls did since my dad was going to be in Texas on business the normal week and I had to be up there early for hockey practice. Best.week.ever...oh wait the move in part right? Took about 45 minutes due to the elevator and then my parents left a case of beer with me and took off

17. Clonefan94

Clonefan94 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Male
    Graphic Designer
    Schaumburg, IL
    Haha I remember it sucking. Larch, fall of '89. A lot of us were socializing getting to know our new floor mates. We walk by one room and a dude is pages into a text book. We said, hey were all heading down for dinner, come along. His response was, not now, trying to get a couple chapters ahead in every class.

i will never forget that moment of shock I had right there.

18. KnappShack

KnappShack Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Sadly I do remember my move in experience....which means I didn't drink enough

19. isuska

isuska Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Ankeny, IA
    Dad complained, mom cried, your mom gave us popcorn. Throwing up popcorn is terrible

20. Tri4Cy

Tri4Cy Active Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Financial Advisor
    Urbandale
    Same!