Anyone notice the twitter war between Gary Rima and Giggles? (Matt Perrault)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Apparently, Matt flew off the handle when his Bluejays got destroyed. Called Rim an A-hole when Rim defended Wichita State deserving a #1 seed.

Haven't read all the tweets as some have been deleted, still...drama at its best. Good to see MP is still ticking people off left and right.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Gary Rima is a hack. The worst part about living in the Cedar Falls area was that he was one of two 5:00-6:00pm options for sports talk on the drive home. His intro has a bunch of slack jawed yokels and comparing the Frazier fight to KU vs UNI is a crazy over statement. I am kindof sad that I am not able to listen to him during a time of UNI being below average at everything.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't know much about Rima other than he seems to think UNI is a D1 program in all sports.....

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Read his tweets from yesterday....ahhh love it.

Andy Garmen and Tim Fisher were both going at him as well. Lovely.

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
Gary Rima is a hack. The worst part about living in the Cedar Falls area was that he was one of two 5:00-6:00pm options for sports talk on the drive home. His intro has a bunch of slack jawed yokels and comparing the Frazier fight to KU vs UNI is a crazy over statement. I am kindof sad that I am not able to listen to him during a time of UNI being below average at everything.

I've gotten to know Gary a little over the last few years. I'm still not the biggest fan of his play-by-play but he's a nice guy. So I won't deny that he's a hack. And he still has the same intro to his show.

rhillary

Jan 31, 2007
Plainfield, IL
Since this is tying into Creighton, I thought I would bring this up: why do Creighton fans still believe in Greg McDermott? I will admit that they have been decent, but imagine this: if I told you that next year Hoiberg would sign the BEST PLAYER in School history and that he would stick around for 4 years, we'd all be assuming numerous elite 8's in the next four years. This happens to fall into Greg's lap (I say this because it was his SON! He ain't recruiting another guy like that ever) and he has 0 sweet sixteen's and an average 3rd round margin of defeat of 20 points! Pretty bad performance considering having the best player in school history, and having him for 4 years. Just a thought that I haven't seen brought up much...

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
If you read some of his tweets, it's pretty entertaining to see him talk about how horrible the Valley was (which is true). A few hours later, Baylor violated Creighton on the court

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
In all fairness, Gary was acting like a pretty big d-bag tweeting at him and taunting him while Creighton was getting their *** handed to them.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Since this is tying into Creighton, I thought I would bring this up: why do Creighton fans still believe in Greg McDermott? I will admit that they have been decent, but imagine this: if I told you that next year Hoiberg would sign the BEST PLAYER in School history and that he would stick around for 4 years, we'd all be assuming numerous elite 8's in the next four years. This happens to fall into Greg's lap (I say this because it was his SON! He ain't recruiting another guy like that ever) and he has 0 sweet sixteen's and an average 3rd round margin of defeat of 20 points! Pretty bad performance considering having the best player in school history, and having him for 4 years. Just a thought that I haven't seen brought up much...

They haven't yet had to bear the full weight of his, well, incompetence? Let's see how the next few years go without his All-American son playing for him.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

You do realize Creighton was in the Missouri Valley, right? And for the most part their recruiting will stay at a Missouri Valley Conference level rather than an old Big East level, and because of that it's not as much of an anticipation that they will go deep in the tournament.

Also, how do you know Greg isn't recruiting another guy like Doug? I'm sure Greg has recruited several three star players with zero offers from major conferences.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

No way in hell would Dougy McBuckets be a top 5 all time scorer if he played 4 years in the Big12. Would he have been good, possibly. But if he was being coached by GMac at ISU they still wouldn't have won a damn thing.

Creighton will be, at best, an also ran in the Big East in the future. Even with the league being weaker now. They might still get to the tourney but never as high as a 3 seed again.