Ant-Man Loses Edgar Wright

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RyCy04, May 27, 2014.

1. RyCy04

RyCy04 Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    http://time.com/112453/edgar-wright-marvel-ant-man/

This bums me out. The guy has been involved with this this movie since 2006. I am a big fan of the Cornetto trilogy and Scott Pilgrim. That really sucks that something Wright has been passionate about for nearly a decade is all for naught.

Rumors are that Marvel was completely behind Wright but Disney wanted ****** changes. It makes me think that we are going to start to see Marvel movies start heading south if Disney is tinkering with the formula. Same thing possible for Star Wars?

2. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    He's a super talented filmmaker. I really like his camera work. Example:

[​IMG]

3. bos

bos Legend

Apr 10, 2006
    Network and Server Admini
    Im not worried about Disney/Marvel. Its a bummer hes out, but I dont think Disney is going to tank one of its hottest products right now.

4. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Maybe now Hollywood can lose Ant-Man because we don't need another fringe superhero franchise. The market is more than saturated the way it is now. I mean no offense to any fans of the franchise, I'm just a little tired of every third movie ad I see being comic book related.

5. Mr Janny

Mr Janny Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
    Staff Member

Mar 27, 2006
    absolutely agree. The superhero thing is so strange, to me. Yes, there are a few good films in the genre, but my god, does Hollywood churn out a lot of crappy ones.

6. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Sk-Ankeny
    The reason they are soooo annoying is because they are always the same Xmen, Spider-Man, iron man movies. At least they are trying new characters.

7. bos

bos Legend

Apr 10, 2006
    Network and Server Admini
    An Ant-Man series might be more fringe, but the tie in to Avengers is their ultimate goal. Although the Ultron/Hank Pim relation isnt happening unfortunately. Bad timing.

8. megamanxzero35

megamanxzero35 Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2011
    I've heard he was completely behind schedule. I've heard he was too tied to his ****** from 2006 and Marvel's MCU has changed a bunch since then and he wouldn't allow changes. At any rate, its a bummer but I love Marvel's MCU movies so my excitement hasn't died down any.

9. roundball

roundball Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Iowa City area
    That doesn't really change the premise, though. A superhero is a superhero whether it's an ant or a wolverine or a spider or whatever. It's all the same crap, only the costumes are different.

They do beat the franchises to death with sequels, though, but that's becoming true for a lot of movies. I don't think it's a stretch to say that a majority of movies from the past few years are either sequels or remakes.

10. MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Des Moines
    And this is different than the 80's/90's muscle-bound action star movies or Westerns that came before? I suppose you could say the tie-in to existing character properties, but that's about the only difference between the superhero genre and any other dominant genre of big dumb action movies that came before it. It's not like removing superheroes would clear up the path for a bunch of smart new movies to hit your local multi-plex; that hole would just get filled in with more Fast and Furious or Godzilla type movies.

And really, it is not the fringe movies that are burning out the genre, it's the cash-cow big-name characters that studios can't let go or give a rest. If Ant-man comes out and the reviews suck, it will just quietly die and go away. Maybe you'll get a couple think pieces with titles like "Are Super-heroes Done at the Box Office?". It's the endless reboots, re-starts and stretching out of Batman, Superman, Spider-man, and X-men that really wear thin.

11. You are telling me you aren't beating down the theater doors to watch Fast and Furious 7?

12. PabloDiablo

PabloDiablo Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Physical Therapist
    Omaha, NE
    Like this:
    http://grantland.com/features/comic-book-movies-marvel-x-men-batman-dc-comics/

13. MNCyGuy

MNCyGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Des Moines