Airventure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by wxman1, Jul 25, 2014.

1. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Anyone else going up to Oshkosh this year? I will be taking the in laws up on Monday sadly driving since the plane is not cooperating right now.

Maybe if we stop on Madison CowGirl will make us a pie.

2. cyflier

cyflier Active Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Super jealous. I flew up last year. I love that place.

3. Goothrey

Goothrey Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    Austin, Tx
    I've flown in there but not during Airventure. Ate at Friar Tucks and visited the museum.

4. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    We were going to fly until the transponder went out...

5. SwirlingFloater

Dec 19, 2008
    West Des Moines
    I have to fly up to North Dakota for a board meeting on Monday. Thought about swinging through Oshkosh for a day on the way back to Iowa, but I can't take the time. Maybe next year. I have never been... but would love to go.

6. harty83

harty83 Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Sioux Falls SD
    Used to go all the time with my dad, but he sold his share of his plane (Mooney) last year. He is driving but I am sitting this one out. I think that in a few years when my son is older we will make it a three generation trip.

7. KidSilverhair

KidSilverhair Member

Dec 18, 2010
    ATC
    Five Seasons?
    You don't need a transponder to fly into Oshkosh! Heck, just claim you don't even have a radio and use the non-radio procedures to get in there easy. Piece of cake! The controllers will love you for it!

:jimlad:

(Full disclosure: I am a controller, although I've never had the desire to work Oshkosh, no thank you. And a former fellow controller flew in there a few years back in his Cub using the non-radio procedures even though he had a radio, because he didn't want to hassle with those pesky ATC instructions.)

8. Wesley

Wesley Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Envr Engr/Program Manager
    Omaha
    Tell cowgirl that you want a huckleberry pie.

9. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    Very true. Although legal I was not up for flying from ICT-C17-OSH-AXN-ICT without one.

Great to know there is a controller on here? Where are you at?

10. KidSilverhair

KidSilverhair Member

Dec 18, 2010
    ATC
    Five Seasons?
    Cedar Rapids. So I know exactly where you mean by C17.

This week is usually our busiest of the year ... and non-transponder guys who don't call us on the radio are a bit of a pain (although our radar can track you and we can give you pretty good radar service as long as you're talking to us - the cropdusters that are buzzing around here this time of year not talking to ATC are a bane to our workload).

11. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    I can imagine they are a pain to deal with. I will have to keep you in mind next time I fly up, would be nice to know the voice on the other side is a Cyclone.

12. wxman1

wxman1 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2008
    Cedar Rapids
    I had a great day yesterday. My in-laws didn't seem too impressed but that was expected since they are not aviation nerds like me.