After the first real opponent, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by acgclone, Nov 24, 2012.

1. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Overall, I wasn't too displeased. We didn't play very well, and still were right in the game outside of the first 10 min in the 2nd half.

Certainly we have some things to clean up, but I think that's always going to be the case when you are relying heavily on first year transfers. Lucious and Clyburn are two key components and they looked a little (or a lot) rusty, but you can also see that they have some skills.

Overall, Babb is still working back into the mix. Our first 3 off the bench, look like they could easily be starters and a couple of them may end up being so in the near future.

It sucks to lose, but I think we'll be fine.

Especially in the B12, which appears to be horrible this year. The conference will very likely go 0-5 today, with some blowouts in there.

2. Clones21

Clones21 Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Des Moines
    Limit TO's and make free throws= we win. IMO we are better than Cincy. We just made dumb mistakes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cyguytillidie

cyguytillidie Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Des Moines
    Little nervous. Offense looked pretty stagnant without McGee in there.
    Korie = Chris Allen

4. CycloneYoda

CycloneYoda Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Too many easy layups by Cincy, unforced turnovers, and free throws. All of this can be corrected. Ejim and Clyburn will not gave many games where they both are out of sync. Nice rally. Love McGee. Lucious was reckless, but anybody who is comparing him to Allen and says he isn't a pg has no idea what they are talking about. Besides both coming from Izzo Land, they are not that similar.

5. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    We'll be good. We're getting very close. I hate free throws.

6. acgclone

Feb 22, 2007
    I'm not ready to say we're better than Cincy, but I think if we played them a month from now we'd probably win on a neutral court.

Like you said, there were plenty of missed opportunities. We didn't finish around the rim several times. We shot poorly from the line. We were careless with the ball on several lazy passes.

Of course, they should get some credit in that because they are pretty good, especially in the backcourt. I think Cincy would finish in the top 3-4 in the B12, no questions asked.

7. mjhavlo76

mjhavlo76 Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I think we played decent. We played a solid Cincinnati team. Mike Cronin is a good coach, and Kilpatrick is a stud. Believe he achieved a career high in points tonight.

Speaking of career highs, Tyrus McGee I believe reached a career high point total as well tonight.

Free throws, free throws free throws!! They were the killer tonight. End of story-

Last time I checked Oregon was up early on UNLV, do don't be sure that we will play the Ducks just yet..

In closing, I think the Cyclones will be ok. A good loss sometimes what you need to rev things up the rest of the way!

8. CycloneYoda

Jan 28, 2009

Is it legal to give players coupons for made free throws?

9. WhatchaGonnaDo

WhatchaGonnaDo Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    Male
    Lucious=meh.

So far.

10. cyguytillidie

Feb 10, 2010
    Des Moines
    I think they're comparable because both love the contested pull up three in transition and both have a bunch of sloppy turnovers.

11. jr4cy

jr4cy Active Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Kansas City
    Hate to say it, but we looked absolutely like ****! Where is the discipline Freddy is turning into Wayne Morgan with these kids just running w/e the **** they want...guys in the second half just shooting up treys like they don't care what the score is. Ridiculous. Good thing the Big 12 hasn't looked the best to start off the season bc we have a long, long ways to go to become a threat

12. kcclones

kcclones Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Male
    Sales
    Kansas City
    The team played hard i thought. It is great to see people diving on the ground for loose balls.

13. CycloneYoda

Jan 28, 2009

Lucious took 8 shots from beyond the arc, and 3 of them are as you described, with one of them going in. Allen had troubles finding the lane last year, where Lucious can get in it with ease. He needs to cut back on turnovers, but that can be said for many point guards at this point.

14. CycloneYoda

Jan 28, 2009

Comparing Hoiberg to Morgan is the most laughable comparison I have seen in quite awhile.

15. gocubs2118

gocubs2118 Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2006
    Student
    Illinois
    And both years Fred has said he wants them taking those kinds of shots. Korie just need to pick when he takes those shots better.

16. Cyfan1843

Cyfan1843 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Ames
    I think we looked alright we are still coming together but liked what I saw. Fred is going to have those boys shooting lots of free throws. I think CL needs to sit down and watch the tape with Fred and see the dumb plays he made. Babb looked a little slow and out of sink but that will come with more games. GN looked good needs to work on hands McGee looks solid cant wait for B12 play.

17. acgclone

Feb 22, 2007
    I can live with tonight. I see this year being a lot like last year, in that we will improve pretty dramatically over the course of the year. If you remember, we didn't exactly light the world on fire last year until conference play started.

I think Lucious will get much more comfortable. I think Clyburn will get more aggressive. I think Niang and Percy will get better throughout the year. Booker, Ejim, McGee and Babb are proven quantities.

I hope we trap and run a little more because our depth and balanced scoring options may be our biggest strength.

18. isuno1fan

isuno1fan Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Clive, Iowa
    Guys played hard. Like to see that. About what I expected in this game. Didn't think we'd win, but this will help mature this team tremendously.

19. cyguytillidie

Feb 10, 2010
    Des Moines
    I think this year will be similar to last. Will take a while to get the kinks out but when they do it will be a solid team.

20. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    Now we just need to smash the next opponent