Accepted to ISU as a transfer student!

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
Man I hope people in Iowa aren't as ridiculous as you two. I dont have a clue who these people are. You clearly dont know your stuff about football, proven by the fact you call it the 'BPL', I dunno if its because I'm british or what, but I don't get what your problem is.
Trust me nobody in iowa is like these guys, well except these guys. As if people on message boards have any reason to be snobs or clubhouse guards making someone prove there worth to pose questions on a public board. Just ignore them.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I was actually born in Swindon and lived just outside London for a few years when my dad was stationed there.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Campus is about 57% male. Adjusted for engineers with no social life, it's pretty close to 50-50.

If you have a British accent, you will have no shortage of women to choose from.

I think you're underselling accents. Irish and Scottish are pretty awesome too.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Haha football (soccer?) I'm nowhere near Ames at the moment, but I'd be more than happy to show you how we do it over here in the UK!

Thanks! I definitley will try and rent a car, would be great to experience the famed american road trip!

Hahah, there's not much more I can do to prove my authenticity, but everyone has been really helpful, so thanks guys! I may end up seeing you all on campus next year! Look out for probably the only english Chemical Engineer! And if you see me, dont hesitate to say hi!

I took the liberty of driving around the streets of your town; Selly Oak, West Midlands, England last night on Google Earth, Street View. I also took a look at the University of Birmingham, where I assume that you are attending. I should say that I am an Engineering graduate of ISU and was born and raised in Iowa and live about 30 minutes from the campus.

When you get to Iowa and Ames you will immediately notice how much room and open space there is here. The State of Iowa is about the same size as the whole country of England yet only has a population of approximately 3 million people whereas England has around 57 million people. People here have big yards, big houses and big farms. Five hundred to a thousand acre farms are the minimum size here and many are much larger than that. You will notice that there are no traffic jams, long lines or crowded public places.

The University of Birmingham is very similar to Iowa State University and you probably are aware of that already. Similar in numbers of students, academics, curriculum offered, etc. Our campus is a lot more spread out, with lots of open public areas, parks, a lake and award-winning landscaping.

Ames, as a town, probably is very similar to Hereford, England. Similar in population, physical size and it's surroundings being agricultural. Hereford is about the same distance from Birmingham as Ames is from Des Moines, the capitol city of Iowa.

On the whole, I think that you will very much enjoy your experience here at Iowa State. One academic year will go very fast so I would make up a bucket list before hand of things that I would want to see and do besides partying and chasing women (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I would get involved with other students at every chance that I could because that's where your best experiences will be at. I would pick out a residence where contact with other students would be maximized and attend as many sporting events as possible, especially American football games and basketball games. Some of the students that you will come to know will invite you to their homes for holidays or weekend getaways and those trips are always a blast. Iowans are always friendly, easy to meet, exceedingly polite and very accepting of everyone.

You are in for one wonderful experience and once you are an Iowa State Cyclone you will always be an Iowa State Cyclone!!

Last edited:

ehann

Jan 18, 2013
I took the liberty of driving around the streets of your town; Selly Oak, West Midlands, England last night on Google Earth, Street View. I also took a look at the University of Birmingham, where I assume that you are attending. I should say that I am an Engineering graduate of ISU and was born and raised in Iowa and live about 30 minutes from the campus.

When you get to Iowa and Ames you will immediately notice how much room and open space there is here. The State of Iowa is about the same size as the whole country of England yet only has a population of approximately 3 million people whereas England has around 57 million people. People here have big yards, big houses and big farms. Five hundred to a thousand acre farms are the minimum size here and many are much larger than that. You will notice that there are no traffic jams, long lines or crowded public places.

The University of Birmingham is very similar to Iowa State University and you probably are aware of that already. Similar in numbers of students, academics, curriculum offered, etc. Our campus is a lot more spread out, with lots of open public areas, parks, a lake and award-winning landscaping.

Ames, as a town, probably is very similar to Hereford, England. Similar in population, physical size and it's surroundings being agricultural. Hereford is about the same distance from Birmingham as Ames is from Des Moines, the capitol city of Iowa.

On the whole, I think that you will very much enjoy your experience here at Iowa State. One academic year will go very fast so I would make up a bucket list before hand of things that I would want to see and do besides partying and chasing women (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I would get involved with other students at every chance that I could because that's where your best experiences will be at. I would pick out a residence where contact with other students would be maximized and attend as many sporting events as possible, especially American football games and basketball games. Some of the students that you will come to know will invite you to their homes for holidays or weekend getaways and those trips are always a blast. Iowans are always friendly, easy to meet, exceedingly polite and very accepting of everyone.

You are in for one wonderful experience and once you are an Iowa State Cyclone you will always be an Iowa State Cyclone!!

Wow thanks for the in depth response! I'm sure you've noticed that Selly Oak is a bit, how should I say it, run down. Its very cramped, dirty etc., pretty much the exact opposite of Iowa, which is something I am looking forward to leaving behind!

Ah, Hereford is nice, more of a small town vibe, and it will be interesting to move into a more rural university location, as Selly Oak isn't exactly rural hahah.

Yeah, integration is one of my priorities, there isn't much point going halfway across the world to sit in a room by myself! Hopefully I will get to experience the 'American Dream' as much possible!

Thanks everyone!

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Wow thanks for the in depth response! I'm sure you've noticed that Selly Oak is a bit, how should I say it, run down. Its very cramped, dirty etc., pretty much the exact opposite of Iowa, which is something I am looking forward to leaving behind!

Ah, Hereford is nice, more of a small town vibe, and it will be interesting to move into a more rural university location, as Selly Oak isn't exactly rural hahah.

Yeah, integration is one of my priorities, there isn't much point going halfway across the world to sit in a room by myself! Hopefully I will get to experience the 'American Dream' as much possible!

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like you have the right idea! You're going to have a blast here!